1.    #1  
    I am a disillusioned VZW fanboy. I have had sprint, old ATT, and others and VZW is the most expensive and the best. They have the best coverage and used to have the best Cust service. I am becoming a little angry at VZW. They just cancelled their canada roam plan. THey are much ruder on the phone than ever. They screwed up my insurance and I had to fight for weeks to get it fixed. They no longer solve my tech concerns like they used to. So in a grass is always greener delusion I was intrigued by the Alltel commercials. i assume that they buy service from VZW (is that true?). In other words, would I get VZW network quality with a better price, better cust service, etc? Searching the forums I see a lot of negative on Alltell (and the other carriers of course). Can anyone tell me how Alltell works technologically and how does it compare to VZW on price and service?
    You said it when you said "the grass is always greener". We don't have Alltel here in St. Louis, but I remember when I used the Kyocera 7135 (just a little over two years ago). Mine broke so the Verizon store gave me one to use until a new one came in and it was an Alltel branded phone. The only difference is it always said roam on the screen but I had my Verizon number. I'm sure Alltel will work anywhere that Sprint & Verizon do. Just matters if you have unlimited roaming or not.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I've been with Alltel since '99, with a Kyocera 7135 for two years and now a Treo 650 for going on two years. All in all, I can't complain, although they seem a bit pricier than the competition (see the thread I started about forcing a data plan: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?t=146235). As for service, here in rural midwest, they are about the only choice. Coverage is good to excellent, except in the "boonies" (which of course, is where I'm at
    Global Posts
    2,153 Global Posts
    i have alltel and i love it. they are using the same technology as vzw, and they do not buy service from vzw. they have their own towers but can utilize vzw's. can't compare prices on plans, i have 5 phones on a shared plan, so my monthly plan is higher than most. good customer service. i won't switch to anybody else, and we have all the major carriers.
  5.    #5  
    WB: Do you travel much? If so, what is service like on the road? I travel all over the US and Canada
    Global Posts
    2,153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dheymann View Post
    WB: Do you travel much? If so, what is service like on the road? I travel all over the US and Canada
    No, not unless I'm on vacation. I just went to Nashville this past weekend, no trouble anywhere. Went to Gatlinburg earlier in the year and no trouble then. Sorry I can't be of any more help. No matter what provider you have, you will always have some "dead" spots. When I look at a providers coverage area, I look for the provider that has the best coverage in the area I am in the most. I had Sprint at one time. I was traveling in a 2 hr radius of my house and I didn't have any roaming charges. Unfortunatly, some of the area I traveled in wasn't covered. Now mind you, this was 5 years ago. I switched jobs where I didn't travel and Alltel (AT&T then) had the best local coverage. I have 5 phones on my plan, My Circle and everything else, I don't even look at other services.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alltel

"Alltel (NYSE: AT) is an American telecommunications company with headquarters in Little Rock, Arkansas. Alltel provides wireless services to residential and business customers in 35 states. States not served by Alltel include: Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and Washington, D.C."

"Alltel is the largest regional mobile phone company in America, and the fifth largest mobile phone company overall. The wireless group provides service in parts of 35 states. The company mainly focuses on small to medium-sized cities, but has low-cost roaming agreements with the major national CDMA carriers, especially Verizon Wireless and Sprint-Nextel, in order to provide national service."
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

i had alltel for 2 years , i since i was moving to a different town , and there was no local alltel store in that area , i switch to verison wirelss figuring all my services would work there , well they didnt work at all or very well at my old home town , and i kept on droping calls well , i tried the 30 days thing , and returned it and went over to sprint , now , for me at least , unlike altel i can get my internet to work out in the country where i live which is amazing alltel never did , and better call reception. but alltel was a hell of alot cheaper then sprint , but o well