Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm hoping the iPhone kicks ****. It could cause Verizon to lower their price for Unlimited Data. I agree that 3G is worth a bit more, but not double. At $45/month I'm paying an extra $300/year than I would with an iPhone. (Or Sprint for that matter)

That could certainly cause lots of users to jump ship.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Have fun going for the IPhone. You will be right back to a Treo. The network that the IPhone is running off of is much slower than EVDO. Then you have the on screen keyboard that sucks. I really don't see alot of Treo user jumping ship for the IPhone. Yes it looks cool but thats all it has. The WOW factor will fade very soon.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
  3. 2sa
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    competition is good imo...I will never jump to the Iphone but I sure would not mind if its stir causes the data plan to decrea$e.
    Device: 700wx,4G SD Card
    Service: VZW

When I get my PPC just the way I want it.....what happens next?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    Have fun going for the IPhone. You will be right back to a Treo. The network that the IPhone is running off of is much slower than EVDO. Then you have the on screen keyboard that sucks. I really don't see alot of Treo user jumping ship for the IPhone. Yes it looks cool but thats all it has. The WOW factor will fade very soon.
    I didn't say I was moving to iPhone. You missed my point.
    You are getting at the very least.... 4x the data rate! Much more most of the time. You don't think that is worth double? If its not then you should go save money and get the slower speed.

The iPhone is a joke. The network its on is an even bigger joke! Very flashy but so not functional. I had a all touchscreen phone once.... The Samsung i700. I hated it!
    Qualcomm pdQ-800 (1999 - 2001)
    Kyocera QCP-6035 (2001 - 2003)
    Samsung SPH-i700 (2003 - 2004) JUNK!!!!
    PalmOne Treo 600 CDMA (2005)
    Samsung SCH-i600 (2005)
    Samsung SCH-i730 (2005 - 2006)
    Motorola Q (2006) JUNK!!!
    Palm Treo 700w (2006 - 2007)
    Pantech PN-820 (2007)
    Palm Treo 700wx (current)
    I dont think it is worth double. I think Verizon's prices are ridiculous. Switch to Sprint, pay $15/month and roam on Vz's towers and use their EVDO at 1/3rd the cost
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kd6icz View Post
    You don't think that is worth double? If its not then you should go save money and get the slower speed.

The iPhone is a joke. The network its on is an even bigger joke! Very flashy but so not functional. I had a all touchscreen phone once.... The Samsung i700. I hated it!
    No, I don't think it's worth double, especially considering they don't officially support tethering. I love Verizon's quality, but if I can get the same service for $300/year less, I'll give it a try. Hopefully this will put pressure on Verizon's pricing.

The iPhone is NOT a joke. If you think that you have a big surprise coming your way, but we digress.

I've worked with an EDGE network, and it's only bad with Web browsing or streaming data. If you use it for PIM syncing and Email it's just fine.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trio View Post
    I've worked with an EDGE network, and it's only bad with Web browsing or streaming data. If you use it for PIM syncing and Email it's just fine.

Good luck getting it to sync with an exchange server. Most companies are not about to change their entire setup for that.

I understand that pricing could be better but imo the coverage is better.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    Good luck getting it to sync with an exchange server. Most companies are not about to change their entire setup for that.

I understand that pricing could be better but imo the coverage is better.
    I use 4Smartphone so it would work fine. Again, I'm not saying I'm moving to iPhone. To me the coverage is not a great argument. Cingular isn't exactly known for lousy coverage. Besides, I live in Dallas, and stay in Dallas 99% of the time. My argument still holds. Verizon doesn't have a huge advantage and they charge as if they did.

I'm happy to stay with them. Just hoping they get a little push to make their data prices better.
    I use 4Smartphone so it would work fine. Again, I'm not saying I'm moving to iPhone. To me the coverage is not a great argument. Cingular isn't exactly known for lousy coverage. Besides, I live in Dallas, and stay in Dallas 99% of the time. My argument still holds. Verizon doesn't have a huge advantage and they charge as if they did.

I'm happy to stay with them. Just hoping they get a little push to make their data prices better.
    YOU dont think they have a huge advantage, but for people who dont stay put 99% of the time At&t blows. I live 50 miles out of the biggest city on the planet (NYC) and I cant even get service from At&t, I also travel for a living and it puts a smile on my face that no matter where I land the EV symbol is always atop my today screen.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    YOU dont think they have a huge advantage, but for people who dont stay put 99% of the time At&t blows. I live 50 miles out of the biggest city on the planet (NYC) and I cant even get service from At&t, I also travel for a living and it puts a smile on my face that no matter where I land the EV symbol is always atop my today screen.
    Yeah, that's not good. The footprint looks ok on paper, but maybe they aren't delivering on what they show on the footprint. One thing you learn online is that everyone has their story about coverage. (Not to suggest your gripe is not legitmate.)

I'm not suggesting that you or anyone else should switch. I think I've made this point multiple times. I'm sticking with Verizon. Just think the data prices are high. I've been very happy with Verizon's service.
    Yeah, that's not good. The footprint looks ok on paper, but maybe they aren't delivering on what they show on the footprint. One thing you learn online is that everyone has their story about coverage. (Not to suggest your gripe is not legitmate.)

I'm not suggesting that you or anyone else should switch. I think I've made this point multiple times. I'm sticking with Verizon. Just think the data prices are high. I've been very happy with Verizon's service.

I hear ya. dont know what plan you have, but I get 1400 anytime minutes for 79.99. With that plan, the unlimmited Data is only 30 bucks. I would have switched from Verizon in a second, I hated thier phones (until the WX), but the service just cant be beat.
  13.    #13  
    I hear ya. dont know what plan you have, but I get 1400 anytime minutes for 79.99. With that plan, the unlimmited Data is only 30 bucks. I would have switched from Verizon in a second, I hated thier phones (until the WX), but the service just cant be beat.
    Well, unfortunately Verizon sticks it to you when you have a family plan. So, I thought I was doing myself a favor when I added my wife and converted to a family plan. When I was done, they told me that the data plan was no longer discounted if you convert to a family plan. So, it went from $30 to $45.
    Well, unfortunately Verizon sticks it to you when you have a family plan. So, I thought I was doing myself a favor when I added my wife and converted to a family plan. When I was done, they told me that the data plan was no longer discounted if you convert to a family plan. So, it went from $30 to $45.
    Exactly why I didnt do it. After I did the math, it came out to around even, so my wife stayed on her plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sa View Post
    competition is good imo...I will never jump to the Iphone but I sure would not mind if its stir causes the data plan to decrea$e.
    There is no IMO about it...competition has always been good for the consumer vs. any monopoly.
    at&t iPhone3G
    You also get railed with unlimitted voice time with Verizon. Verizon doesn't offer any unlimitted nights to start before 9:00 P.M. even at a cost and it ends at 6:00 A.M. and you VZW customers weekends start at 12:00 A.M. Friday night Saturday morning and end 12:00 A.M Sunday night...WTF. With Sprint we get unlimitted nights starting with family plans at 7:00 P.M. to 7:00 A.M. free of charge and weekends start at 7:00 P.M Friday night until 7:00 A.M monday morning. You get 3 extra hours unlimitted every night with Sprint and 10 extra unlimitted hours on the weekend. Not only is Sprint cheaper, you end up getting more bang for the buck. Verizon really makes their customers pay for the "great" service. Sprints network is a quality network...it just needs to expand abroad. Sprint built their all digital fiber optic network from the ground up and their network is getting better and will continue to do so.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Darn, I don't know why all these posts and not one that has anything to do with the title to this thread. My opinion is that competition has not made Verizon reduce their data price for at least the two years I was with them paying the $44.99 a month for my Treo 650. I doubt anything short of them loosing a lot of customers would make them change. I didn't know until I found this board, a month after I got my 650, that Sprint was charging $30 less a month for the same thing. If that alone hasn't brought down Verizon's price I can't believe the iphone will. The iphone has a monthly data plan as well. I"m not sure but I think the minimum is $30 per month. I've been seeing on the news that the lowest plan price is $59 per month. I pay $49.99 for unlimited data AND 1250 minutes on Sprint SERO and kept the same number I had on Verizon.

Update from AT&T web site:
    To use iPhone, you’ll need to sign up for a 2-year service agreement or a renewed 2-year service agreement if you’re an existing AT&T (formerly Cingular) wireless customer. The plans start at $59.99 and include Visual Voicemail and Unlimited Data with both email and web plus texting. You can browse the Internet and send emails as often as you like without being charged extra. If you’re an existing AT&T (formerly Cingular) wireless customer and you want to keep your current voice plan, you just need to add an iPhone Data Plan. (This may replace your current data plan.) The iPhone Data Plan gives you Visual Voicemail, as well as Unlimited Data—includes both email and web plus texting, all for as little as $20.
    Last edited by RickMG; 06/30/2007 at 04:44 PM.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    You really have to love Apple. Read this warning before you buy from AT&T's web site. Be sure to read the waranty info at the bottom.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/en...AR_PAD_6x9.pdf
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Update from AT&T web site:
    To use iPhone, you’ll need to sign up for a 2-year service agreement or a renewed 2-year service agreement if you’re an existing AT&T (formerly Cingular) wireless customer. The plans start at $59.99 and include Visual Voicemail and Unlimited Data with both email and web plus texting. You can browse the Internet and send emails as often as you like without being charged extra. If you’re an existing AT&T (formerly Cingular) wireless customer and you want to keep your current voice plan, you just need to add an iPhone Data Plan. (This may replace your current data plan.) The iPhone Data Plan gives you Visual Voicemail, as well as Unlimited Data—includes both email and web plus texting, all for as little as $20.
    Exactly my point. Not only is the iPhone going be cause Verizon to lose some customers, the data plan is $20, which is less than half of what I pay.

Interestingly, and I'm sure NOT a coincidence, I got a call from Verizon Wireless this morning to see if they could Help me since I went over my minutes two months ago. They've never called me before.

While I was on with the customer service lady, I explained to her that I would eventually be forced to move to another provider since they decided to stick it to me with the Data plan after moving to a family plan. I mentioned to her that both Sprint and AT&T were half the price.

Ok, so I did my part. :^}
    Exactly my point. Not only is the iPhone going be cause Verizon to lose some customers, the data plan is $20, which is less than half of what I pay.

Interestingly, and I'm sure NOT a coincidence, I got a call from Verizon Wireless this morning to see if they could Help me since I went over my minutes two months ago. They've never called me before.

While I was on with the customer service lady, I explained to her that I would eventually be forced to move to another provider since they decided to stick it to me with the Data plan after moving to a family plan. I mentioned to her that both Sprint and AT&T were half the price.

Ok, so I did my part. :^}
    I've been on sprint sero since jan 30... next month my verizon contract is up... don't think I can really wait....

the treo I have from sprint sometimes gets bad reception in places like walmart and my storage area. lol...

verizon I pay $45 for 450 minutes, start at 9 am, end at 6 am, no data, etc....

sprint $49.99 for 1250 minutes, start at 7 pm end at 7 pm, unlimited data, unlimted txt, etc.

can't really compare... verizon does suck bad, but customers have to make the choice.... I'm not really sold on sprint, even after six months, but I don't need to pay verizon anymore... I'm gone.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast