Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21  
    I have the same problem with reception when I am in Wallmart or Target on Sprint.
    at&t iPhone3G
  2. #22  
    I left VZW after many years just because of data pricing.
    Why pay $80 for 450 mins. "unlimited" data, 9 p.m. nights when you can get a SERO plan with 500 mins, true unlimited data (hello Slingbox), 7 p.m. nights and unlimited picture mail and text.
    I admit VZW's network is a little bit better (I roam once in a while, never did with VZW) but saving $50 a month is worth it.
    Take it from this ex-VZW customer, if your contract is coming up, look seriously at a Sprint SERO plan.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    You also get railed with unlimitted voice time with Verizon. Verizon doesn't offer any unlimitted nights to start before 9:00 P.M. even at a cost and it ends at 6:00 A.M. and you VZW customers weekends start at 12:00 A.M. Friday night Saturday morning and end 12:00 A.M Sunday night...WTF. With Sprint we get unlimitted nights starting with family plans at 7:00 P.M. to 7:00 A.M. free of charge and weekends start at 7:00 P.M Friday night until 7:00 A.M monday morning. You get 3 extra hours unlimitted every night with Sprint and 10 extra unlimitted hours on the weekend. Not only is Sprint cheaper, you end up getting more bang for the buck. Verizon really makes their customers pay for the "great" service. Sprints network is a quality network...it just needs to expand abroad. Sprint built their all digital fiber optic network from the ground up and their network is getting better and will continue to do so.
    Whats the difference if my unlimited nights and weekends starts at 9 pm for nights and friday midnight for weekend use?
    Its still unlimited nights and weekends. They are not separate features.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Whats the difference if my unlimited nights and weekends starts at 9 pm for nights and friday midnight for weekend use?
    Its still unlimited nights and weekends. They are not separate features.
    The difference is less unlimited time. With Sprint nights start earlier and end later, starting at 7pm to 7am free of charge and weekends start Friday 7pm to 7am Monday morning hence longer weekend...all in all you get more unlimited time with Sprint which helps when tapping into less anytime minutes, if that is what you were asking?
    at&t iPhone3G
  5. #25  
    Yep....It was kind of retorical sp?. I meant separating nights from weekends. I know sprint has better hours.
  6. #26  
    Does someone has access to Verizon's gross revenue breakout? I have a feeling that it shows that the voice plans is the main revenue stream and data plans with smartphones may be somewhere in 2nd half towards the bottom of the list.

    I don't believe AT&T's competition would be enough to push Verizon to modify their pricing structure.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    I left VZW after many years just because of data pricing.
    Why pay $80 for 450 mins. "unlimited" data, 9 p.m. nights when you can get a SERO plan with 500 mins, true unlimited data (hello Slingbox), 7 p.m. nights and unlimited picture mail and text.
    I admit VZW's network is a little bit better (I roam once in a while, never did with VZW) but saving $50 a month is worth it.
    Take it from this ex-VZW customer, if your contract is coming up, look seriously at a Sprint SERO plan.
    Crap... well, how a day can change everything... I'm over a friend's house and another friend has a major issue... calls my sprint phone, goes to voicemail.... calls my verizon phone and it rings....

    checked both phones, each have two bars... tell my partner next to me to call me on my sprint phone... he does and it goes directly into voicemail.

    Hmmm.... You know, my contract is up next month with verizon, but I'm starting to think either this phone is messed up or their network really sucks.... I really need to think about moving from verizon.... nice to save money... but what good is saving money if you don't get your phone calls?
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Crap... well, how a day can change everything... I'm over a friend's house and another friend has a major issue... calls my sprint phone, goes to voicemail.... calls my verizon phone and it rings....

    checked both phones, each have two bars... tell my partner next to me to call me on my sprint phone... he does and it goes directly into voicemail.

    Hmmm.... You know, my contract is up next month with verizon, but I'm starting to think either this phone is messed up or their network really sucks.... I really need to think about moving from verizon.... nice to save money... but what good is saving money if you don't get your phone calls?
    In the 6 weeks I've had Sprint, I've only had 1 call go to VM and it was in a roaming area. I'm not counting but if I had to guess, maybe I've had 3 or 4 dropped calls.
    Like I said, VZW has a better network than Sprint in my area but Sprint's is good enough where I'm not having regular issues with calls going to VM or dropped calls.
    I was nervous about leaving VZW because of the network but Sprint really has been solid for me.
  9. crcr's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by trio View Post
    I'm hoping the iPhone kicks ****. It could cause Verizon to lower their price for Unlimited Data ...
    Agreed, VZW's Data Plan is way overpriced. But it is nothing less than a bold-faced marketing lie that the subscriber is allowed "Unlimited Data". I have read a number of stories of subscribers being abruptly & rudely cancelled by Verizon with a letter stating they 'used too much data'. Below is just one of those stories, and the link to it:

    As ConsumerAffairs.Com reporter Joseph Enoch documented last year, Verizon terminates the accounts of subscribers who utilize the network for any activity more substantial than checking e-mail or surfing the Web, despite advertising the network as "unlimited. Here is the URL of the story: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0..._congress.html
  10. #30  
    Verizon's got a network still in progress of upgrade for digital coverage. Verizon has a large but inconsistant network with analogue implications that still need to be tended to...all in all Verizon's Customers are paying. Sprint only operates at 1900MHz wich is a higher frequency that doesn't penatrate well thru walls for those wondering why in closed buildings they sometimes drop calls. Verizon network penatrate walls better because Verizon works at 800MHz also, which is a lower frequency. Sprints 1900MHz is better suited for high speed data and voice clarity which Verizon is trying to upgrade to...the only question is Verizon shooting to be @ all 1900MHz because the higher frequency would sometime impare that wall to wall penetration that analogue delivers on?
    at&t iPhone3G
  11. #31  
    If Verizon drops me. I'll simply downgrade to a regular phone, eliminate the unlimited data and start carrying my laptop again. I truly think unlimited data should mean exactly that, unlimited.

    By the time my two years is up on my Treo, I may be brave enough to try out another carrier. Although I've heard that much of the pricing is cheaper, it hasn't sounded significant enough to give it a shot.
  12. crcr's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    ...the only question is Verizon shooting to be @ all 1900MHz because the higher frequency would sometime impare that wall to wall penetration that analogue delivers on?
    I'm not a tech genius on cell signals, so I don't know the real reason, but I don't think VZW having analog is the reason that their signal seems to work so much better in buildings than the other carriers.

    We still have VZW, and my wife works in a huge hospital. Of the major carriers, the nurses and doctors with Verizon are the only ones that consistently get a solid signal, and get their calls inside the building. Employees with the other carriers seldom successfully get or make calls inside the building, unless they go over right next to a window. Hardly any of the current crop of phones the employees are carrying are dual band. They are almost all digital signal only. My wife's Razr is digital only, and she has signal anywhere inside the huge hospital building, including inside elevators! So Verizon's still having Analog can't be the real reason their service is better inside big buildings.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by crcr View Post
    I'm not a tech genius on cell signals, so I don't know the real reason, but I don't think VZW having analog is the reason that their signal seems to work so much better in buildings than the other carriers.

    We still have VZW, and my wife works in a huge hospital. Of the major carriers, the nurses and doctors with Verizon are the only ones that consistently get a solid signal, and get their calls inside the building. Employees with the other carriers seldom successfully get or make calls inside the building, unless they go over right next to a window. Hardly any of the current crop of phones the employees are carrying are dual band. They are almost all digital signal only. My wife's Razr is digital only, and she has signal anywhere inside the huge hospital building, including inside elevators! So Verizon's still having Analog can't be the real reason their service is better inside big buildings.
    800MHz is used for both digital and analogue so this is has nothing to do with analogue alone. Lower frequencies via analogue or digital penatrate buildings better at 800MHz so your wife's digital handset may be recieving a digital 800MHz frequency.

    Read...better explination?
    at&t iPhone3G
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    By the time my two years is up on my Treo, I may be brave enough to try out another carrier. Although I've heard that much of the pricing is cheaper, it hasn't sounded significant enough to give it a shot.
    The prices is cheaper... I had to think hard about leaving verizon after 6 or 7 years, but I priced the plan that I have with sprint (and would also need at verizon). Well, I pay $50 at sprint... similar plan at verizon (actually a few less minutes) would be $120.

    We are talking a savings of $70 a month or $840 a year. Not a lot of money to many, but I can think of some things I could do with $70... like put it in savings....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  15. #35  
    Originally posted by theog:
    We are talking a savings of $70 a month or $840 a year. Not a lot of money to many, but I can think of some things I could do with $70... like put it in savings....
    Wow at that rate and for as little as I actually talk on the phone, I think I'll have to make the jump. My kids live in LA and SF so the switch will probably not affect their service. However, I live in a small town so it could affect me and my husbands service.

    Do you have a data plan on your Treo and do you use sling box or Orb?
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Wow at that rate and for as little as I actually talk on the phone, I think I'll have to make the jump. My kids live in LA and SF so the switch will probably not affect their service. However, I live in a small town so it could affect me and my husbands service.

    Do you have a data plan on your Treo and do you use sling box or Orb?
    A verizon rep called me today (I guess retentions) asking if they could do anything to keep me with verizon. I told them my plan with sprint and the lady said that was a great deal... and if I ever wanted to come back just let them know. In other words, verizon was not going to try and match sprint sero. lol

    Sling box or orb? No, I don't watch TV that much... actually, my tv only comes on for the local news.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  17. #37  
    Original post by theog:
    Sling box or orb? No, I don't watch TV that much... actually, my tv only comes on for the local news.
    Until I purchased a Media Center PC, I hadn't watched TV in 15 years, maybe longer. I stopped watching when Murder She Wrote stopped taping new shows. Prior to that, TV was my sleeping pill. Murder she wrote was on every night at 8:00 p.m. I could start watching it and fall asleep before the end.

    Do you stream music on your Treo? I would ask if you experience dropped calls, but based on another post. The problem doesn't appear to be dropped calls, it's that Sprint customers don't receive all of their calls (depending on location).
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by trio View Post
    I'm hoping the iPhone kicks ****. It could cause Verizon to lower their price for Unlimited Data. I agree that 3G is worth a bit more, but not double. At $45/month I'm paying an extra $300/year than I would with an iPhone. (Or Sprint for that matter)

    That could certainly cause lots of users to jump ship.
    To me its a matter of time before high speed wireless data matures like DSL in our homes. When DSL first came out people were happy to pay 2 or three times the price for the higher speeds. Now basic DSL can be had for as little as $14.95 a month, which is cheaper than dial up was a few years ago.
    I think Verizon is eventually going to have to reduce there data prices but not because of the current iphone using edge. Wait and see what happens when the iphone2 comes out with true 3g data,how will At&t price data then. If At&t keeps the price the same or maybe even lowers it then we will have something to talk about.
    That said I recently went with Sprint Sero for my Data on a 700wx even though I kept my verizon phones (2 on family share) at least for now because I am still under contract for another 8 mos. It was a no brainer for me since verizon charges $44.95 to for data on PDA'S and I was not eligable for any discounts yet on new phone. I paid $199.00 for my Treo 700wx and for $30.00 per month I get an additional 500 min anytime and unlimited text and data. I have had the sprint plan for a little bit over a month now and have had now problems at all. To my knowledge I have not missed any calls and coverage has been excellent at least for me here in Southern California. I am not sure I buy the theory that 1900mhz is worse than 800mhz for inside buildings. I am a ham operator and find that to be the opposite as the higher the frequency the better it penetrates walls and structures. I think it may have to do with the fact that in some buildings the cellular companies install repeaters and 800mhz is more common.
    When my current verizon contract is up I will probably convert my wife over to Sprint as well and keep the verizon phone just for business (phone only). I realize most here would not wish to carry 2 phones but I don't really carry the sprint PDA. I leave it in a cradle in the car and when I park put it away in the locked center console. I use the PDA mostly for personal calls and of course the unlimited text and data. I also use the heck out of the free Mapping from Google and Ms Live search mobile along with a blue tooth GPS unit. To me its been the best of both worlds. I have verizon for business calls and sprint for data and personal use.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Until I purchased a Media Center PC, I hadn't watched TV in 15 years, maybe longer. I stopped watching when Murder She Wrote stopped taping new shows. Prior to that, TV was my sleeping pill. Murder she wrote was on every night at 8:00 p.m. I could start watching it and fall asleep before the end.

    Do you stream music on your Treo? I would ask if you experience dropped calls, but based on another post. The problem doesn't appear to be dropped calls, it's that Sprint customers don't receive all of their calls (depending on location).
    No, I don't do music either... lol... my treo is basically for email and txt. I don't care for txt but a lot of the younger people in my family use it, but it is growing on me. Instead of calling to let someone know I'm leaving the house, I'll send a txt saying I'll be there in 20 min or so.. works out. But my business is mostly email, so the treo unlocks me from my laptop and checking emails at everyones house... I love it.

    Yea, I've had some dropped calls... the other day, I had a dropped call and called the person back on my verizon phone... the verizon phone hung on to the call, but I could not make out anything they were saying, so it might as well have dropped as well. Actually, after that sprint said I needed an update... which I did. Guess I'll ride through that area again and see if things improve... but I don't drive that way often (out in the middle of the woods).

    Actually, come to think of it, that night after the update, my phone did ring in a walmart store... I was in the sporting goods section... I had not even thought about that... hmm... maybe it was a good update.

    The other day at my sis house things were reversed though.... my verizon goes to voicemail and sprint rings and sounds clear.... go figure...

    The "no calls" seem to be inside either really old buildings or buildings with a lot of steel. Once I start getting calls 100% through sprint, I'll know how good the phone is for sure. My contract with verz is up in a couple of days, then I'll port my old number over.... I can't wait.

    Think I'll be ok though... sprint might have a couple of issues here and there, but I doubt $70 worth a month of issues, from what I can tell.... plus, I don't want to really talk to anyone while I'm shopping or eating...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions