1.    #1  
    I just saw the VZW Crackberry 8830 "World Edition", which has dual CDMA and dual GSM bands (apparently). This is very appealing...

I like VZW's CDMA coverage and bandwidth in the US, but obviously you can't use it abroad. A smartphone that switches seamlessly to GSM when abroad? Awesome.

If it were a new Treo (p or w), I'd be at the store instead of typing this. Do we know of any plans for a Treo "World Edition" (CDMA/GSM)? Anyone tried a blackberry recently to see if they've made any strides (sacrilidge, I know)?

Thanks,
    AJ
    My company is changing over from Treo's to the new Verizon 8830 and it is a gorgeous device. Trackball a bit sensitive, but in the limited time the partners let me try it it was fast........nice screen..etc. 200.00 with a new contract is an incredible deal for that phone.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, I don't use my T650 for that much more than email, calendar, contacts and phone. (I have a few misc apps that I could probably live without.)

But to-date, no one has told me that the BB's work as a decent phone yet. (Simple, I know) Everyone I talk to on one says they either have to hold it perfectly to their ear or something else that gets in the way of sound quality.

Thanks for the feedback,
    AJ
    We haven't started purchasing the new 8830s yet in my office, but we will eventually. I'm pretty impressed with the feature set. EvDO Rev. 0, Bluetooth 2.0, GPS (currently disabled on VZW units), and voice dialing. Stability of BB is outstanding (we have 700 of them (7250, 7520 and 7590)). I think they're very solid devices.

Not as easily customizable as the Palm Treo line (WM or Palm OS), but highly functional. I doubt you would be disappointed.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Yeah, I would think by now a global Treo would be a straight forward idea. Potentially Palm could sell them into multiple markets.

I know that I would be interested in seeing one... as opposed to renting a GSM phone when traveling, or picking up a pre-paid one.
    Palm IIIc -> VZW Treo600 -> VZW Treo650 - VZW Treo700p -> VZW BB8830
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExDis View Post
    Yeah, I would think by now a global Treo would be a straight forward idea. Potentially Palm could sell them into multiple markets.

I know that I would be interested in seeing one... as opposed to renting a GSM phone when traveling, or picking up a pre-paid one.
    Precisely, my good man/woman!
    Sprint just launched their 8830 and the difference between Sprint's 8830 and the one Verizon launched last month is that Sprint has unlocked the GSM SIM slot, so you can choose an international carrier, or even pick up a prepaid SIM once you get where you're going.

Sprint doesn't just leave you hanging though: It will offer an unlimited BlackBerry email and Web access in the US, Canada and Mexico on CDMA, and GSM/GPRS carriers abroad where Sprint has applicable roaming agreements.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I could be talked into this phone - and heck, i don't leave the country (just dream of it!) - but i'd be missing some key apps (something along the lines of HealthFile for the Palm).

Back to reading about BB's.
    The sound quality on the 8830 is much improved over previous blackberry's. My bosses are using them with the plantronics bt headsets that also connect to you landline, and they sound better than they did on the 6700's they were using.