Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    The Verizon employees swear that I NEED a PDA plan for my Treo 600 to work, even as just a regular phone. I currently have the unlimited data plan and last month my bill was astronomical. I'd like to call Verizon and remove my PDA / Data plan altogether and just use it as a regular old phone. Before I call and ask I was wondering if anybody had first hand experience with this.

I think it's just BS on Verizon's part because Sprint employees have told me that you don't need a PDA plan to use a Treo on their network, and since they're both CDMA I don't see the issue with Verizon. Please clue me in!
    No you don't need a data plan for any of the treos. Tell them you will pay data as you go and be done with it. My wife had a 600 on Verizon for two years that we just sold and it never had a data plan and never used data.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Just have them put it on a "per KB" plan. No cost unless you access the internet via the treo. Phone will work on your minutes. No problems. Been using my Treo on per KB for the past 2+ years and no data charges.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JerkyChew View Post
    The Verizon employees swear that I NEED a PDA plan for my Treo 600 to work, even as just a regular phone. I currently have the unlimited data plan and last month my bill was astronomical. I'd like to call Verizon and remove my PDA / Data plan altogether and just use it as a regular old phone. Before I call and ask I was wondering if anybody had first hand experience with this.

I think it's just BS on Verizon's part because Sprint employees have told me that you don't need a PDA plan to use a Treo on their network, and since they're both CDMA I don't see the issue with Verizon. Please clue me in!
    As said previously, tell Verizon CS to put your service on per kb. However, be very careful in choosing any 3rd-party apps for the phone. Any programs that require updating [weather, stocks, RSS] will accumulate data very quickly and you'll have a very rude awakening with your first complete Verizon bill. Good luck!
    If you don't use mms messaging you could always set up a bogus acct on the treo and it will never connect to data.
    Yes, I have done this after I handed my 600 down to my wife who was not desirous of checking Email, web access, etc. I have found the best solution for inadvertantly using the data connection is to create a new network profile Preferences ---> network ----> Menu (new) and just give this some nonsensical name without a password. Make sure you exit the network page with this new network selected. Then everytime a stealth application attempts to get data access, it will attempt to use this non-existant network and you will get an error message. If you don't do this, you will likely discover your network connection was on for hours when you thought it was disconnected. Verizon charges when the network is on but not transmitting (gray bars IN ADDITION to green bars) and my first bill was unknowingly over $2000. Fortunately, I was able to get Verizon to wipe this charge.