Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone use Good on their Treo with Sprint? My work has BES and Good servers, and I'm looking into getting my e-mail set up for my Treo. It's my Treo and my plan, not work provided. However they will probably set me up regardless. My question is, do you need a specific data plan on top of Power Vision to use Good? I don't think I'd want to pay anything extra on top of what I already have. I heard Blackberries require special data plans for Blackberry e-mail service, but I don't know how true that is for good.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    Does anyone use Good on their Treo with Sprint? My work has BES and Good servers, and I'm looking into getting my e-mail set up for my Treo. It's my Treo and my plan, not work provided. However they will probably set me up regardless. My question is, do you need a specific data plan on top of Power Vision to use Good? I don't think I'd want to pay anything extra on top of what I already have. I heard Blackberries require special data plans for Blackberry e-mail service, but I don't know how true that is for good.
    I recently asked essentially the same question of Good with regard to my 700p. the answer was rather vague and amounted to "I don't know. Ask Sprint."

    Trying to get an answer from Sprint was both painful and unproductive. One person (who answered the phone number listed for Good Messaging at Sprint) had absolutely no idea what Good was, much less any details. They transferred me (without give me the name and number should the call be dropped) to someone who "should" be able to answer the question.

    I terminated the call after being put into a queue for over 45 minutes. Fortunately I was on a cordless headset on a land line, so was able to get other things done while I waited.

    The only information I could get from Good was:
    - A single CAL is $99 USD.
    - The license is granted to the Good Server, not an individual. So if I purchase one and leave the company, I cannot take the license with me.
    - There is no official "trialware" version of Good. If my local admins will set me up, I can see how the software performs before purchasing a CAL, but this is not officially supported and totally up to the local admins (who are understandably hesitant to potentially "pirate" software).

    There is clearly confusion between Sprint (and within Sprint) and Good on what the requirements are and what is supported.

    Like you, I have been unable to find anyone in either organization who can give definitive answers.

    I would love to hear anything more you can learn.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    Does anyone use Good on their Treo with Sprint? My work has BES and Good servers, and I'm looking into getting my e-mail set up for my Treo. It's my Treo and my plan, not work provided. However they will probably set me up regardless. My question is, do you need a specific data plan on top of Power Vision to use Good? I don't think I'd want to pay anything extra on top of what I already have. I heard Blackberries require special data plans for Blackberry e-mail service, but I don't know how true that is for good.
    After another hour or so getting passed from one person to another, I finally reached someone with honest to god knowledge on this question!

    (Hey, Sprint! If you are listening, your comm lines and warm handover for calls is abysmal! When I have to yell into the receiver to be heard, something is dreadfully wrong. And your computerized system should accept the phone number when a customer enters it, not spiral into a loop continuing to ask for the same information before eventually self-terminating the call - this happened with a Sprint call taker listening in, so your team knows of the problem now. Further, we a customer calls the number presented on your web site for further information on a product, they should have at least heard of the product before!)

    Good Messaging is covered under your existing plan if you already have a Power Vision plan with unlimited data.

    This does not cover the CAL for the Good server. That remains a separate cost, and the license is for the server, not the PDA.

    I have it working now, as a trial. Some good things, some not so good (to be punny).

    Now if I can find an actual user manual.......
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the info! I'll talk to my boss next week to see if they'll set me up.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    Thanks for the info! I'll talk to my boss next week to see if they'll set me up.
    A little more detail for you:

    Getting the most current version is pretty much hit and miss. The version that worked for OTA setup is 4.9.1.xxx, but the version that "seems" to want to come from our server is 4.9.2, while the on-line manual I found is for 4.9.3.....

    The link for OTA setup from our server would never download, so I tried the link that came as part of the ROM. That installed and is working.

    Thankfully I did a full backup, one with NVBackup and another with the Good backup itself, because where I attempted to get what I thought to be a newer version all Hell broke loose. Ended up doing a hard reset and restore to get past the error that ensued.

    Go figure. And be careful!

    Know, too, that you really do not have many configurable options and, by default, Good remaps you buttons. You can get around some of this, but will need to adjust your thinking and usage habits. For example, you do not have any options regarding message aging/archiving. Messages marked as read on Notes do not appear to automatically get marked as read in Good. Replication takes longer than you might expect. Folders appear to get replicated, too.

    Nothing in folders (other than your inbox) placed there prior to you initial Good setup will replicate to you PDA - everything is a "from here forward" deal.

    You can work off-line to save battery power (Good will load and continuously communicate in the backgroud, so your power consumption will be higher than you are accustomed).

    The calendar, contacts, to-do, etc. for the Treo and Good remain totally separate, so if you want them integrated, you must still have a conduit for hotsync and synch to the PC - or copy and paste entries from one to the other.

    Initial size is big - some 2.0 to 2.5 meg before anything replicates from Notes.

    I am still learning how this functions!
  6.    #6  
    Thanks again. I just remembered something else I wanted to ask. Most work lines are Cingular, and they have to activate a Good service on the SIM cards for them work. Does anything need to be done by Sprint to allow me to use Good? Or do I just get set up on the Good server, then download and configure the client?
  7. #7  
    I required no special effort from Sprint. My Good administrator configured my mail account and that sent a mail message to my Notes account with the necessary download web address (it is an OTA install, so use Blazer) and key.

    Lots'a luck!
  8. #8  
    Actually, Good will work with any unlimited data plan BUT to be legal you need the $39.99 unlimited data plan from Sprint.

    Good does monitor this and will nag your administrators if any phones utilizing Good do not have the required data plan.

    I just went through the same scenario you have mentioned, using a personal phone on the corporate Good account.
  9. damigs's Avatar
    Posts
    535 Posts
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    #9  
    I was told the same thing. Im a heavy Sprint user running GMM. Was put on the Good data plans due to certain policies Good uses on the Good data plans. All this even thou I was able to function fine on the regular data plan.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by damigs View Post
    I was told the same thing. Im a heavy Sprint user running GMM. Was put on the Good data plans due to certain policies Good uses on the Good data plans. All this even thou I was able to function fine on the regular data plan.
    Is Good hosting your server? That could be the difference.

    I chased the chain for hours before I could get a definitive answer on the data plan from Sprint (it got really confusing because the phone is personal, but gets a corporate discount, so .....). I asked about the specific things you and cmille mention because I did not want a nasty surprise on the bill. They checked my account and stated that I was fine, and I do not have the $40 monthly data/modem plan. GMM, if it needed an extra charge per month, was not even worth evaluation to me. I was assured that I would not be billed extra for the GMM data.

    And yes, I kept the phone log!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgriffith View Post
    Is Good hosting your server? That could be the difference.

    I chased the chain for hours before I could get a definitive answer on the data plan from Sprint (it got really confusing because the phone is personal, but gets a corporate discount, so .....). I asked about the specific things you and cmille mention because I did not want a nasty surprise on the bill. They checked my account and stated that I was fine, and I do not have the $40 monthly data/modem plan. GMM, if it needed an extra charge per month, was not even worth evaluation to me. I was assured that I would not be billed extra for the GMM data.

    And yes, I kept the phone log!
    Here are a couple links to backup what I was saying.

    http://www.good.com/trygood/sprint/r...nt_Pricing.pdf
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=123725

    Good is not mainstream with Sprint CSR's I've noticed. They switched me to a Blackberry plan the first time I asked for it. The only reason I found out was I couldn't get my phone as modem to work and I had to call them back and they told me I had a Blackberry service enabled. That is one perk to the GMM data plan is that you do get unlimited phone as modem.

    As far as the discount, I am in the same boat. Personal phone but I get a corporate discount rate.

    Good is not hosting any servers for us, Good has a secure connection to our GMM server but thats it.

    Hopefully it works out for you but don't be too surprised that if your Admin pays attention to messages from Good/Motorola that you discover that you need the 39.99 price plan.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmille34 View Post
    Here are a couple links to backup what I was saying.

    http://www.good.com/trygood/sprint/r...nt_Pricing.pdf
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=123725

    Good is not mainstream with Sprint CSR's I've noticed. They switched me to a Blackberry plan the first time I asked for it. The only reason I found out was I couldn't get my phone as modem to work and I had to call them back and they told me I had a Blackberry service enabled. That is one perk to the GMM data plan is that you do get unlimited phone as modem.

    As far as the discount, I am in the same boat. Personal phone but I get a corporate discount rate.

    Good is not hosting any servers for us, Good has a secure connection to our GMM server but thats it.

    Hopefully it works out for you but don't be too surprised that if your Admin pays attention to messages from Good/Motorola that you discover that you need the 39.99 price plan.
    Thanks for the links. I had already noted that information (both sources, and others to boot). That is why I went to such lengths for a committment from Sprint that I did not require a more expensive and/or extra data plan for GMM, and that I would not see any additional charges beyond my current plan if using GMM.

    So far, this has been the case. Cross fingers, knock wood . . .

Posting Permissions