1.    #1  
    Okay, since I decided to switch to Sprint the minute I found out about the 755p coming, and coming within days of my wife's and my contracts ending with Verizon I started paying attention to the Sprint topics. I only wish I believed all the horror stories about CS because I've had one already. Same with Verizon but at least they answer the phone almost immediately.

Anyway, I keep seeing that people say they called retentions, and people saying go straight to retentions instead of customer service. What is retentions and do they have a different phone number so you don't have to wait as long? Thanks.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I think retention is where they send you if you threaten to cancel your contract or say you are leaving them but I am not sure. I love verizon. I can not stand Sprint from previous encounters when I had them.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Retensions is the name of the dept. whose goal it is to make sure Sprint retains your account. You can't dial them directly, you have to go through CS to get transferred to them.

I was having a lot of trouble dealing with CS. All I wanted to do was to change my busted phone with a PPC. I didn't want any changes to my plan or charges. CS wouldn't do anything without changing my plan to a lesser plan with higher charges. I threatened to cancel my account, I was placed on hold, and immediately transferred to retention. Less then 2 minutes on the phone with the rep from the Retensions dept (who spoke clear and fluent English btw, not like the CS folks I had been dealing with), I had my existing account transferred to the PPC, no charges, no plan changes, no hassles.

Now when I call Sprint, after dealing with the annoying automated voice system, waiting on hold for 10 minutes, I immediately tell the CS person to transfer me to Retensions.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by taidaisher View Post
    Retensions is the name of the dept. whose goal it is to make sure Sprint retains your account. You can't dial them directly, you have to go through CS to get transferred to them.
    Here's a number posted yesterday somewhere on this board: 866-881-9571. I called them twice today and they answered right away, said they were retention, sounded like people who are in the U.S., knew about SERO, and could give a damn if I stayed or left Sprint. I tried killing them with kindness both times, but each time they said there was nothing they could do. I asked them to ask a supervisor and was put on hold and then told the same thing. If I didn't need the same number I've had for over 20 years I'd cancel and order on the SERO line (who I also talked to today). I've had Sprint for one week and can't stand them.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    just call *2 and say CANCEL. That will get you to retentions.

Ive found retentions people actually have working brains and are more prone to help you rather than call center people who couldn't care less about you and your problems.
  7. IRJ
    866-881-9571 links to a Dept called "Business Account Services". I know I called them. They offered me a renewal on less than 1/3 rd the minutes I have now to 75% of the cost I pay now and w/o Vision even (Power V was an extra $25.00). I was stunned. I told the CR Rep I would have to be crazy to agree. So she made a "notation" on my acct that I had been offered it, if I ever called back. I said (nicely) that I would not be calling back for it.
    Yikes after 8 years with Sprint I may be back to T-Moble at this rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow View Post
    just call *2 and say CANCEL. That will get you to retentions.
    That's exactly how I got to 'retention" when my contract was up last June.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I called retentions today because my contract shows to be up in Oct. 8, 2008 on an over two year old Treo 650. I bought a LG flip phone for my youngest and ended up swapping numbers (long story) they said when I swapped numbers that made the contract two years from then. The contracts are tied to the numbers and not the phones. They said their was nothing they could do with that line. I've been with them over 10 years and have 6 lines.

I can upgrade one of my other 6 lines that are eligible and then swap the numbers to keep my current number. That sounds like real BS. They can't upgrade it for one number but they can upgrade another line and then swap out the numbers????