1.    #1  
    I have been having problems with receiving text messages on my new SERO account. I called.

Sprint subscribers will only get a text message from a carrier with whom Sprint has a contract. Sprint does not have a contract with lots of carriers overseas. You can see the problem.

There are 4 carriers in Switzerland. I think Swisscom is one that Sprint does NOT have a contract.

What this means is that it is haphazard as to whether I am going to get a text message from a person I know outside the U.S.

If you have significant interaction with the world outside the U.S. you now have a second reason to shy away from Sprint (CDMA being the first).

I am 4 months into my SERO contract. I am going to cancel and go back to T-Mobile. F---.
    Just to add one more thing. You are getting charged extra 15 cents per international sms. And that is even if you have sms plan with them. International sms dont come out of your plan, its just 15 cents.
    On tmobile you pay for outgoing only. All incoming sms comes out of your sms plan if you chosen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    I have been having problems with receiving text messages on my new SERO account. I called.

Sprint subscribers will only get a text message from a carrier with whom Sprint has a contract. Sprint does not have a contract with lots of carriers overseas. You can see the problem.

There are 4 carriers in Switzerland. I think Swisscom is one that Sprint does NOT have a contract.

What this means is that it is haphazard as to whether I am going to get a text message from a person I know outside the U.S.

If you have significant interaction with the world outside the U.S. you now have a second reason to shy away from Sprint (CDMA being the first).

I am 4 months into my SERO contract. I am going to cancel and go back to T-Mobile. F---.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    Just to add one more thing. You are getting charged extra 15 cents per international sms. And that is even if you have sms plan with them. International sms dont come out of your plan, its just 15 cents.
    On tmobile you pay for outgoing only. All incoming sms comes out of your sms plan if you chosen.
    yea, I just got hit by this, and I didn't even want incoming SMS when I was overseas. But it was only 6, so for 90 cents - 25% discount, its not worth my time waiting on hold for, unless there's some bonus to my plan I could get
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    Not necessarily. I have never been charged for sending or receiving SMS with Canadian carriers. I've used Sprint to chat with friends on Rogers, Fido, Telus, and Bell, and have never been charged for it, it just shows up as regular SMS usage. I can't speak for overseas, that might be different.
    If you have a old plan from before sprint had true sms, then international text messaging is free. The newer plans you pay for. I just lost my free international text messaging a day ago when I upgraded to the 755.
    What ever you want, get it done at www.esitebid.com. Where competition bids value!
  6.    #6  
    I'm back on T-Mobile. Dropped the SERO plan. Now I can get my text messages at least. It isn't a question of price for me. It is like dialtone vs. no dialtone.
    Quote Originally Posted by makad View Post
    If you have a old plan from before sprint had true sms, then international text messaging is free. The newer plans you pay for. I just lost my free international text messaging a day ago when I upgraded to the 755.
    not anymore...I have one of those grandfathered plans and I get charged 15 cents per international sms now.
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    Not necessarily. I have never been charged for sending or receiving SMS with Canadian carriers. I've used Sprint to chat with friends on Rogers, Fido, Telus, and Bell, and have never been charged for it, it just shows up as regular SMS usage. I can't speak for overseas, that might be different.
    Are you sure? Do you check your bills? I have one old plan and one SERO and I got charged same for both i.e. international sms, 15 extra pennies.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Send2World.com lets you use your domestic text messages to send internationally.

That should help with your problem of not being able to receive international sms. It is also a lot cheaper.
    problem is that texts don't go through to TIM (Italy). My cousin was sending me texts and me to him... they never went through but Sprint charged me anyway. Thankfully skype sent the chat, or we would've had some serious communications problems

Summary - if you need int'l sms, skip sprint