1.    #1  
    Anyone know how the coverage in LI is? I am on Verizon and considering moving over to sprint for the lower data rates (SERO plan) but I am nervous because I get really good coverage on Verizon here.

Thanks for your help.
    No problems on the South Shore of Nassau County.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks...how about generally on Long Island and the Tri-State area? Any issues?

Thanks so much.
    Jen
    I had a client on LI that I travelled to nearly every week for a year (summer 2005 - summer 2006). I was using a treo 600 on sprint and never had any problems with reception.

The in-laws live in the Jersey shore area, and I've driven between there and LI problem a half dozen times without any coverage problems.
  5. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    My parents have Sprint (they're in Glen Cove). When they first got it the signal was pretty weak, but I think coverage in general has been improving in their area, as I find my Verizon phone works better at their house than it used to. They're not very technically-minded, and only use their cells when away from the house, not as a regular phone, so it's a relatively small sample of experience, but they both have cheap phones and don't complain about dropping or garbled calls. I wouldn't advise you to take my word for it though, as it's just secondhand information from people who are not power users (and also have no experience with data).

I am a Verizon user because they have the best coverage in NYC. I had a horrible six years with AT&T before number portability came about, and it has made me unwilling to trust something as important as my phone to any company but the one with the best coverage. I hate Verizon, I hate their business practices, I hate their phones, and most of all I hate their prices, but I'm totally with you about being scared to leave them.
    I live in the Philly suburbs. I've had Sprint since 2002 and I've been everywhere from Boston to DC. I usually have good service, but of course I haven't been in every neighborhood in between.
  7.    #7  
    I switched over to Sprint and got the 755p....so far it's been great. I also went to NJ and upstate NY this weekend and the coverage was great.
    I'm saving so much $$ per month on Sprint.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treojennifer View Post
    Anyone know how the coverage in LI is? I am on Verizon and considering moving over to sprint for the lower data rates (SERO plan) but I am nervous because I get really good coverage on Verizon here.

Thanks for your help.
    Glad to see this thread. I too am on Verizon and was concerned.
    I've never had data, only voice and Verizon has been rock solid vs my family's service on AT&T.

Update: Sprint was bad for me on launch but has settled down. Issue is really when inside some places. My basement - have to go to Wi-Fi whereas VZW phone worked fine. Also was on jury duty and had to use Wi-Fi in courthouse. So problematic building interiors where there is no Wi-Fi would be an issue for me.
    Last edited by dp135; 06/11/2009 at 09:02 AM.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Limited experience, but on a TDY up to LI about 3 weeks ago, I didn't have any problems with my Treo 650 on Sprint. I lodged at a hotel about 10-15 minutes drive from the hotel. Also used it while waiting on the LIRR at Ronkonkoma or whatever that station is called, and signal was strong and good to go.
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!