Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I just wanted to share my experince with trying to get my 650 repaired.

I got my 650 nearly 2 1/2 years ago and was on the bleeding edge when it was first introduced. Believe it or not, it is my original unit! Except for a broken p key repaired at a sprint store, my 650 has never given me any problems.

For 2 years I kept my 650 in a rubber or crystal case. The last 6 months I let it go naked and she got beat up looking fast. The headset and hot sync jacks needed wiggling to work so I figured that I have paid for the TEP insurance, it was time to get it fixed.

I brought it to a sprint authorized repair shop close to my house. I was hoping that they would switch out my 650 for another one because mine had looked so beat up.

The sales rep tried to talk me into upgrading to a 700p, but i said I wanted to wait for a newer palm device to come out then I will commit to another 2 year contract.

After waiting an hour they handed my 650 back to me and said that there was some minor water damage and the keyboard was dented. As a result I would have to file a claim with lockline/asurian and pay $50.00. I said what if I brought it to a sprint repair center. The rep said that it cannot be repaired at any store location. I did not want to argue so I walked out.

There is no way my phone got wet.

The next day I drove the 20 miles to a sprint owned repair center. I gave them my phone. Feeling a little lost without my treo to keep me busy, I had a nice cup of coffee and watched TV in their comfortable waiting area.

20 minutes later the rep comes out and said that they will be ordering a 700p for me and it should be here in 3-5 business days. She mentioned that they cannot order 650 replacements.

Needless to say I was very happy. I got a free upgrade and great service

So if your phone is broken go to an actual sprint repair center. They are much more interested in keeping you happy.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyV View Post
    After waiting an hour they handed my 650 back to me and said that there was some minor water damage and the keyboard was dented. As a result I would have to file a claim with lockline/asurian and pay $50.00. I said what if I brought it to a sprint repair center. The rep said that it cannot be repaired at any store location. I did not want to argue so I walked out.

There is no way my phone got wet.
    that just seems to be standard practice at repair centers, I remember when I was with nextel(before the merger) they told me and about 3 people in front of me that we had water damage, and just ordered refurbs... I guess telling the customer that saves them the hassle of having to actually troubleshoot the problem
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    they told me and about 3 people in front of me that we had water damage, and just ordered refurbs... I guess telling the customer that saves them the hassle of having to actually troubleshoot the problem
    yes but they would not even order me a refurb. They wanted me to submit a claim to lockline/asurian. The sprint walk in coverage is limited to wear and tear or malfunction. If you drop your phone into the toilet then you cannot bring it to a sprint store to be repaired. It must be replaced through lockline/asurian.

For some reason they claimed I had slight water damage. Thats whats puzzeling. Why would they say that and send me away rather then try and fix or replace the phone so thet can get a fee for service from sprint.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    water damaged phones are not covered by sprint/nextel. that's y they don't repair them.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigmattFromJeRSeY View Post
    water damaged phones are not covered by sprint/nextel. that's y they don't repair them.
    Thats what is strange. When I brought it into a sprint owned repair center they said nothing about water damage and ordered me a 700p to replace my 650.
    Lenny

You got lucky bottom line..
    Sounds like luck. I just took my 650 to a service center to get replaced. The tech said it could be water damage so I'd be better off going through insurance (I have TEP). So I called up and they're sending me another 650. Oh well.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Treo 650 is better then 700p - same hardware ,hardly noticable data speed increase, much more expensive data plan, broken bluetooth -I wouldn't be too excited
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leonidm View Post
    Treo 650 is better then 700p - same hardware ,hardly noticable data speed increase, much more expensive data plan, broken bluetooth -I wouldn't be too excited
    HARDLY NOTICABLE DATA SPEED INCREASE? Only if you live in a location without EVDO! The speed difference is quite significant and the biggest reason why I've put up with the problems of the 700p after 2+ years with my 600.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    Sounds like luck. I just took my 650 to a service center to get replaced. The tech said it could be water damage so I'd be better off going through insurance (I have TEP). So I called up and they're sending me another 650. Oh well.
    Did you go to an sprint authorized repair center or a sprint owned service center?
    Lenny

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    HARDLY NOTICABLE DATA SPEED INCREASE? Only if you live in a location without EVDO! The speed difference is quite significant and the biggest reason why I've put up with the problems of the 700p after 2+ years with my 600.
    I 2nd that notion... If it wasn't for the speed increase, I would have switched to a comp different Phone.. (Would be no other incentive to put up with Treo 700p for me)
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Right, if you go into a Sprint store with a repair center, and you have the insurance/equipment repair program, they'll give you another Treo 650 or a comparable model. It just so happens that most stores are out of stock on refurb 650s, so they'll give you a 700p on the spot to make you happy.

As for criticism about the 700p, yeah, Bluetooth sucks. That's the only complaint I have. I have no lag (don't use Versamail HotSync conduit), I love the extra RAM, and my EVDO plan costs the same as 1xRTT (both free, thanks to Sprint retentions). Get a SERO plan if you think EVDO costs too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyV View Post
    Thats what is strange. When I brought it into a sprint owned repair center they said nothing about water damage and ordered me a 700p to replace my 650.
    The guy that looked at it either is new and dumb or didn't open it to check the stickers.
    You can call retentions as well and they'll send you a 700P to replace a damaged 650. My buddy had to deal with the insurance company and they told him it would take 7-10 business days to get him a refurb 650... I told him to hang up and i called retetions for him... he had a 700p 2 days later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash View Post
    You can call retentions as well and they'll send you a 700P to replace a damaged 650. My buddy had to deal with the insurance company and they told him it would take 7-10 business days to get him a refurb 650... I told him to hang up and i called retetions for him... he had a 700p 2 days later.

yea retentions usually gives you what ever you want. thats the way to get the best deals. if you ever need anything just call and ***** you want to leave.
    How do you call retentions? I've seen it mentioned before, but don't know exactly what it is. Would anyone care to explain?
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
    How do you call retentions? I've seen it mentioned before, but don't know exactly what it is. Would anyone care to explain?
    1-800-658-7564, 1-866-207-7913

those are the numbers..
    My wife's 650 went haywire last week. It is insured. I took it to the Sprint store, and they told me they would have to order a refurbed 650. I told them I wouldn't wait, and that a week without a phone was out of the question. They gave me a 700p. Ironically, my wife was disappointed when I brought it home! 3 days later... I can't get her off of the damn thing! I'm going to call Sprint and tell them I want the broken 650 back!
    Quote Originally Posted by edoan View Post
    Right, if you go into a Sprint store with a repair center, and you have the insurance/equipment repair program, they'll give you another Treo 650 or a comparable model. It just so happens that most stores are out of stock on refurb 650s, so they'll give you a 700p on the spot to make you happy.

As for criticism about the 700p, yeah, Bluetooth sucks. That's the only complaint I have. I have no lag (don't use Versamail HotSync conduit), I love the extra RAM, and my EVDO plan costs the same as 1xRTT (both free, thanks to Sprint retentions). Get a SERO plan if you think EVDO costs too much.

Yeah it's much nicer if you can just get the Sprint store to order you a replacement Treo instead of filing a claim with lockline/asurian and then paying $50 bucks. Add to the fact that you can only make like 2 claims in 18 months or whatever and it makes it even more advisable to not make a claim...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Wow, I thought if you went to the repair center they fixed it for free if you had insurance? Its weird they told you to make the insurance claim.

I just came from a Sprint authorized repair center and they told me that any replacement done through them is free and I wouldnt have to pay the $55 deductible if I let them order it for me. My charging jack is screwed up on my original 650 from Jan 2005. They ordered mmy replacement earlier for free and told me I would most likely be getting a 650 refurb.

I go back on Monday for the replacement. Not holding my breath for a 700p, but if I get one it would be nice. lol

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast