Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    At a glance it looks like Sprint is cheaper but Verizon has better reception. What is your experience? Any suggestions for laptop tethering?

Thanks!
    coverage and signal strength is I think a personal matter. If you'd like a long essay on mobile phone coverage along the southern face of the San Gabriel Mountains, especially including selected parts of zip codes 91001 and 91024, let me know.

For me in metro L.A. I have no problems at all. I have yet to trave the U.S. extensively following my mygration from T-Mobile to Sprint. But my business is mostly in metro areas. I'm not selling stuff to ranchers in North Dakota.

Price, buddy, price. Let's reward Sprint for friendly pricing.
    Price update--SERO plan at $100/mo for high speed data and 2,500 minutes. WWVD? (What Would Verizon Do?)
    depends where you live/travel. In northeast pa and NY/NJ verizon has better coverage than sprint. I don't use data on the treo (a sin I know), but I wouldn't go with sprint just because it is cheaper. Go with the company that provides the best coverage and provides what you need. After all, at min. you are committed to 1-2 yrs with whoever you choose.
    A happy Sprint user here, price & coverage(East Los Angeles) is great now.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    A happy Sprint user here, price & coverage(East Los Angeles) is great now.
    EAST LA? heh, I am in your neighboring city (626)
    I was with Verizon for 4 years but recently switched over to Sprint because it is saving me a good amount of money. Call quality was great with both companies but when it comes to data Sprint is better for me. Im in eastern CT and with Verizon I was rarely in a EVDO area, but with Sprint I have only been in a 1x area once.
    TCers in 626! w00t!
    Most Sprint plans allow you to roam on Verizons towers, as long as you dont do it too much, so that makes it a no brainer IF you get some Sprint coverage.
    I've been with VZW (and its previous incarnations) for 13 years.
    When my contract ends May 13, it's buh-bye VZW, hello Sprint SERO.
    My area is starting to get EVDO, so the fates are aligned.
    Saving $50 a month is a no brainer.
    Coverage, while not as good as VZW's in my area, should be good enough.
    Sprint has the largest network.... So I dont see how Verizon has more coverage?

And you can roam up to 800 minute a month.. The only time I roam is in the basement of one building other than that I always have sprint signal all over.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    Sprint has the largest network.... So I dont see how Verizon has more coverage?

And you can roam up to 800 minute a month.. The only time I roam is in the basement of one building other than that I always have sprint signal all over.
    No affense but as much as I like Sprint and as long as I have been with Sprint you are dillusional as far as thinking Sprints having the largest of the two.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Cheaper doesn't always mean better.
    If I could get verizon's service with a price plan of say around 25-30.00 for unlimited (5g I know)....I would be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    TCers in 626! w00t!
    Greetings from the east end of the San Gabriel foothills.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Cheaper/better is the eternal trade-off. And VZW ain't cuttin' prices.

In my case I am getting cheaper (via SERO) and better (a Sprint tower 100 feet from my office window with no obstructions, and faster/better coverage at home than old T-Mobile). I'm happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    No affense but as much as I like Sprint and as long as I have been with Sprint you are dillusional as far as thinking Sprints having the largest of the two.
    http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/null/3554

In the commercials Sprint says they have the largest network.. Verizon used to say that but now they changed to saying the most clear or something along that line. But yes Verizon has the largest network of customers but Sprint has the largest area covered.
    Verizon blows. VZW cripples their phones. They nickle and dime you for everything. I have been with Veri$on for years, but no more. Sick of them. CONtract is up at the end of this month. I say, give Spring a shot.
    http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/null/3554

In the commercials Sprint says they have the largest network.. Verizon used to say that but now they changed to saying the most clear or something along that line. But yes Verizon has the largest network of customers but Sprint has the largest area covered.
    If Sprint has the largest area covered...why do they have so many problems with service in rural areas where Verizon has coverage allowing Sprint customers to roam if necessary. Every provider is strongest in the metro areas so how much more can a network be the largest if best coverage is restricted to these areas. I like Sprint but their substandard coverage in respect to Verizon is one big reason why we have so much savings with them while Verizon bleeds their customers. Sprint being its own numberal uno until aquiring Nextel(not CDMA, i.e IDEN) does have a better more quality consistant network that was built from the ground up, hence the struggle for coverage...unlike Verizon which is made up of three companies being Bell Atlantic, Vodafone AirTouch and GTE which from these some of the network already existed...Mergers like with Cingular help these companies as far as volume...in other words Verizon didn't have to build their network from the ground up as Sprint so they had a nice start. Verizons network is large but inconsistant technologically where there coverege area is matlip witch mean they work with old Analog and new digital system in which they have worked hard the last number of years to upgrade their network up to date...which could be another reason why Verizon charges their customers so much to help raise more money to keep upgrading their network to standard...lol. Sprints network is an all digital fiber optic network which backs up their pin drop marketing stragety as far as how clear their network is presumed to be. Sprints network may be smaller but IMO its a better technologically consistant network that in time will get better and may be then their prices will go up...lol.
    Last edited by KStewart; 04/17/2007 at 03:43 PM.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    If Sprint has the largest area covered...why do they have so many problems with service in rural areas where Verizon has coverage allowing Sprint customers to roam if necessary. Every provider is strongest in the metro areas so how much more can a network be the largest if best coverage is restricted to these areas. I like Sprint but their substandard coverage in respect to Verizon is one big reason why we have so much savings with them while Verizon bleeds their customers. Sprint being its own numberal uno until aquiring Nextel(not CDMA, i.e IDEN) does have a better more quality consistant network that was built from the ground up, hence the struggle for coverage...unlike Verizon which is made up of three companies being Bell Atlantic, Vodafone AirTouch and GTE which from these some of the network already existed...Mergers like with Cingular help these companies as far as volume...in other words Verizon didn't have to build their network from the ground up as Sprint so they had a nice start. Verizons network is large but inconsistant technologically where there coverege area is matlip witch mean they work with old Analog and new digital system in which they have worked hard the last number of years to upgrade their network up to date...which could be another reason why Verizon charges their customers so much to help raise more money to keep upgrading their network to standard...lol. Sprints network is an all digital fiber optic network which backs up their pin drop marketing stragety as far as how clear their network is presumed to be. Sprints network may be smaller but IMO its a better technologically consistant network that in time will get better and may be then their prices will go up...lol.
    I can tell you are a verizon user.. And in my "rural" experience my sprint phone has worked in more places than Cingualr and Verizon phones. How do I know that when I am on "rural" areas I am usually on a road trip with a few other college students and we usually have a few cars. And most of the time we have to use my Sprint phone to call another Sprint phone in the other car to communicate pit stops ect. But of course "rural" coverage will depend on what "rural" part of the country you are in.

I always tell people chose the company based on how well it works in the area you spend 95% of your time. One bonus with sprint is you get free roaming so if you are on vacation and cant get a signal then you can roam on Verizon.. But I travel mostly on the west and easy costs and have never run into a place that I didnt get sprint signal.
    I can tell you are a verizon user.. And in my "rural" experience my sprint phone has worked in more places than Cingualr and Verizon phones. How do I know that when I am on "rural" areas I am usually on a road trip with a few other college students and we usually have a few cars. And most of the time we have to use my Sprint phone to call another Sprint phone in the other car to communicate pit stops ect. But of course "rural" coverage will depend on what "rural" part of the country you are in.

I always tell people chose the company based on how well it works in the area you spend 95% of your time. One bonus with sprint is you get free roaming so if you are on vacation and cant get a signal then you can roam on Verizon.. But I travel mostly on the west and easy costs and have never run into a place that I didnt get sprint signal.
    You are wrong...I am a Sprint user and I love Sprint and have good coverage in my area and plan on staying with them as long as service and pricing is good. I think Sprint is talking about EVDO when they speak of the largest network...I think they have a larger EVDO coverage over Verizon???
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast