Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Question is...will this all hurt the option to get insurance on your device for CDMA Carriers? AT&T doesn't offer insurance for their handsets(don't quote me if I am wrong) like Sprint and Verizon. I don't know if this has anything to do with the fact a stolen handset on a GSM network only needs a SIM card and you got a new phone as apposed to a non clean ESN handset.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    Want to see how easy it is to install a RUIN card in a 6700? Take a look at what Hetal Patel posted over at PDAphoneHome.....
    That's some pretty sweet hardware hacking. I wish GPS or WiFi on the 700wx could be that "easy"...

And to the topic of the post, I hope Washington can do something about this as I don;t see carriers being persuaded to do it otherwise.
  3.    #23  
    If anyone who likes this idea....put a link to this thread in your signature as not many people have looked at yet...probably for the simple fact they don't know it is here.

Exposure to the possibilities is a valuable first step.

Here is the code I use in my signature. Feel free to just copy it or modify anyway you want to. I had to change all [ ] around the codes to ( ) in order to see it. You will need to change all ( ) back to [ ]:

Code:
    (CENTER) (B)__________________________________________________
    (URL="http://discussion.wmexperts.com/showthread.php?t=140971") (COLOR="Red")Want unlocked CDMA Phones with an open Network?  
    See what is happening in Washington to make this happen.(/COLOR) (/B)
    (B)(COLOR="Blue")
    CLICK HERE(/COLOR)(/B) (/URL)
    __________________________________________________  (/CENTER)
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 08/15/2007 at 10:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Question is...will this all hurt the option to get insurance on your device for CDMA Carriers? AT&T doesn't offer insurance for their handsets(don't quote me if I am wrong) like Sprint and Verizon. I don't know if this has anything to do with the fact a stolen handset on a GSM network only needs a SIM card and you got a new phone as apposed to a non clean ESN handset.
    ATT only screws over smartphone users.
    I got an insurance offer for the RAZR V3xx.

I understand in Europe, they will blacklist the IMEI of stolen GSM phones, but of course it's too much trouble to do that here apparently .

P.S. the thumsdown is for ATT, not you.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    ATT only screws over smartphone users.
    I got an insurance offer for the RAZR V3xx.

I understand in Europe, they will blacklist the IMEI of stolen GSM phones, but of course it's too much trouble to do that here apparently .

P.S. the thumsdown is for ATT, not you.
    Thanks Diva
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    If anyone who likes this idea....put a link to this thread in your signature as not many people have looked at yet...probably for the simple fact they don't know it is here.

Exposure to the possibilities is a valuable first step.

Here is the code I use in my signature. Feel free to just copy it or modify anyway you want to.
    Thanks Hobbes, I'm going to add this to all my forum sigs.
    Last edited by D-Bo; 08/05/2007 at 01:38 AM.

CLICK HERE

7.    #27  
    D-Bo...you are just down the street from me! I am in Vancouver.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    D-Bo...you are just down the street from me! I am in Vancouver.
    Small world!

CLICK HERE

9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Question is...will this all hurt the option to get insurance on your device for CDMA Carriers? ) like Sprint and Verizon.
    If they ever opened their network, I could see this coming down to a scenario like this.....

....As an incentive of buying a phone that Sprint / VZ offers you get insurance for $5 a month (or maybe even free until you have to use it the first time with each new phone) and they will not offer it to phones not sold by them.

Then there will be a need for none carrier purchased phones resulting in 3rd party insurance offers to cover phones purchased outside of the official carrier lineup of phones. I would imagine that this will be more expensive, but it couldn't go beyond $10 a month if they expect to be able to sell their service.

The other way the carriers will probably try to lure customers to buy their offered phones vs 3rd party retailers is bigger discounts off the suggested retail price with greatly reducing the required contract length to get those discounts.

..............again this is just me looking at my hypothetical crystal ball.
  10.    #30  
    Take a look at the lastest article at www.WMexperts.com . This new development is exciting as it is bringing this dream closer to a reality, though with severe limits and restrictions.....but it is one step closer.:

Quote Originally Posted by WMExperts Articles View Post
    The tide is finally turning against the carriers, folks. Witness the latest piece of evidence: Sprint looks like they're about to settle a class action lawsuit filed last year in California. The gist: They'll be offering unlocks to outgoing customers so they can use them on competing networks. Since this is CDMA we're talking about here, “competing networks” basically means Verizon with a side of Alltel, but we'll take whatever we can get.

There are catches and caveats, though, there always are. You have to be fully paid up on your bill (that's fair) and the suit only applies to people who've purchased their phone between Aug 28th, 1999 and July 16th, 2007. Which makes us ask: What happened on July 17th?

“We believe this settlement is fair and reasonable,” Sullivan said, adding that the company denies wrongdoing and settled the suit “so we can continue to focus on our business.”
    Read: The Associated Press: Spring Nextel Agrees to Unlock Phones

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/sp...ck_phones.html
  11.    #31  
    It looks like things are really starting to roll. I came here to post this but no surprise that such big news has already been posted here nearly 12 hours earlier:

But according to Mobile Tech Today it appears it will not support the iPhone:

Verizon's Open Network Won't Support iPhone

I still cannot believe that they are still allowed to limit the choices and features allowed on the phones, just like AT&T used to do in the 1950s.

I cannot see Sprint holding out too much longer....okay....maybe knowing how Sprint chews on new ideas 3 years at a time, maybe I can.
    Maybe it's because CDMA and GSM can't mix well?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I cannot see Sprint holding out too much longer....
    Let's hope not...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    It would take Sprint to allow it and phones will come. And a single TV AD would create enought stir among the normal casual users to let them know....

Could you imagine seeing an advertisement showing a business woman with here Treo at work and then swaps out her RUIM card to use a sleek RAZOR type phone to go on a date in the evening. Or the businessman using a PPC-6700 at work and swapping out his card to use a Fusic while he goes mountain biking so he does not have fear about losing his whole professional life if his phone fell off the bike. I know these specific models will not be compatible, but you get the picture.
    I'm currently with Sprint SERO plan, but I always consider going back to AT&T because I love the flexibility of the SIM card.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Thank you for these posts. They are very informative.

I believe the “law” you are looking for is the 1913 Kingsbury Commitment, which was AT&T’s out-of-court settlement of a lawsuit from the Department of Justive for violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act.

Although the antitrust violation became applicable to the telecommunications industry with the Mann-Elkins Act of 1910, AT&T continued to refuse to connect third-party lines to the Bell system, which is what allowed them to continue to monopolize the market long after their patent expired in 1893.

Reference: Telecommunications law in the Internet age by Sharon K. Black, excerpt retrieved from Google Books:
    books.google.com/books?id=-1D_fA12YaoC&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21&dq=bell+telephone+equipment+law&source=bl&ots=n8-UzLhkk4&sig=LzPyEqgaoZUnf7xM1K-WElLsvFA&hl=en&ei=3IwCTfqcBI-q8AbTxKzoAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=bell%20telephone%20eq uipment%20law&f=false
    Folks should also comment on proposed laws at regulations.gov.
    Right now if you search for FCC-2010-0346-0001, you'll find a proposed rule to require wireless carriers to prevent "bill shock" by warning users when they are nearing their usage limits.

I already entered a comment, taking full advantage of the opportunity to suggest that "The proposed rule should prohibit wireless carriers from refusing service to third party devices, disabling device features, or locking the devices they sell against insertion of another carrier’s SIM or RUIM type card" (I also included a lot of justification argument, it's actually a very long comment).

I encourage you all to become active participants in the lawmaking process, and comment on proposed laws that are important to you.
    Holy necroposting. This thread was from 2007. Contains lots of misinformation as well. The main reason carriers don't push for RUIM is the lack of market demand. The vast majority of cell users would not buy a phone if they had to pay full price for it, so they are going to buy whatever the carrier is selling anyway. Couple that with the fact that the majority of people who use SIM cards don't take advantage of the ability to swap phones, and the market desire to push for RUIM for CDMA is nonexistent. In a nutshell, there's no money in it.

In fact, the GSM Association is thinking of going the opposite route, doing away with physical SIM cards in favor of embedded SIM cards:

Embedded SIM cards with remote activation planned for 2012 by the GSM Association

Not hard to see why, really. If people don't swap phones, then the extra volume it takes to build a SIM-card slot into a phone is wasted space. And any space in a phone is precious.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12