1.    #1  
    My monthly bill every month thru Verizon is 105.67 , this includes 1500 text and pics messages, "unlimited" data, email and 450 any time minutes. After going to a Sprint store with a friend, he purchased a Q, I realised the DRASTIC difference in prices between the 2 companies. Also, thanks to this wonderful site I have read all about the SERO plans available for dirt cheap. Here is my dilemma, I am moving in to an apartment by myself for the first time and 105.00 cell phone bill is just not practical so I am considering suffering the EFT and making the switch to Sprint. I had Sprint years ago and their service was satisfactory but my main concern before changing is do you really get what you pay for? Will my internet speeds be the same? Will I get good coverage as far as the phone aspect is concerned? Dropped calls? I havent had 1 since being with Verizon.... Im aware with the SERO plan I pay 30.00 a month for about 500 minutes with free data included, also unlimited nights and weekends with nights starting at 7....but can I add some sort of text package to the SERO plan? Will that void the plan? I need unlimited texting as I am a massive text messager. So I ask the genius of this board to help me... Will my service be as good as Verizon? Is it worth the switch? Any feedback or experiences with SERO is greatly appreciated as well as any opinions on the switch. I am aware the quality of your coverage is contingent upon your location, so I am in South Jersey, very close to Philadelphia, if that makes a difference...TIA for any help!
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    You can add wahteveryou needto your sero plan. Text is about all that is not included. I think $10 -15 gets you unlimited. I was able to get them to give me 500 free, but it is gettnig harder to get free texts these days. Getthe new phone and try it out at your new place to make sure that you have the signal you need it you plan to make it you primary home phone. Then cancel your verizon and port the number to your sprint phone. If it is not satifactory just return it to sprint.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by cathartic8881 View Post
    My monthly bill every month thru Verizon is 105.67 , this includes 1500 text and pics messages, "unlimited" data, email and 450 any time minutes. After going to a Sprint store with a friend, he purchased a Q, I realised the DRASTIC difference in prices between the 2 companies. Also, thanks to this wonderful site I have read all about the SERO plans available for dirt cheap. Here is my dilemma, I am moving in to an apartment by myself for the first time and 105.00 cell phone bill is just not practical so I am considering suffering the EFT and making the switch to Sprint. I had Sprint years ago and their service was satisfactory but my main concern before changing is do you really get what you pay for? Will my internet speeds be the same? Will I get good coverage as far as the phone aspect is concerned? Dropped calls? I havent had 1 since being with Verizon.... Im aware with the SERO plan I pay 30.00 a month for about 500 minutes with free data included, also unlimited nights and weekends with nights starting at 7....but can I add some sort of text package to the SERO plan? Will that void the plan? I need unlimited texting as I am a massive text messager. So I ask the genius of this board to help me... Will my service be as good as Verizon? Is it worth the switch? Any feedback or experiences with SERO is greatly appreciated as well as any opinions on the switch. I am aware the quality of your coverage is contingent upon your location, so I am in South Jersey, very close to Philadelphia, if that makes a difference...TIA for any help!

As the above poster mentioned, you can add unlimited text to your plan - and it really is UNLIMITED, not the unlimited with a limit that Verizon has. As far as coverage is concerned, Sprint actually does have the largest calling area - Verizon gets 60%+ of their coverage from Sprint via Digital Roaming. And, if you do have to roam, you get free roaming on that SERO plan. Regarding the speed, they are both very similar - Sprint's Power Vision is slightly faster, but is in more cities.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    My inlaws in Stewartsville, NJ switched to Sprint 6 months ago from T-Mobile. Before that,they had Cingular, before that they had Verizon. They both say that Sprint is their favorite by far. Not only because of price, but they get great service as well.

Myself, I live in Atlanta and have been on SERO for over a year, and couldn't be happier. I had Verizon about 4 years ago (when Sprint sucked in ATL), but they've surpassed Verizon in call quality and data coverage by far (IMO, of course). My SERO 500 plan with insurance and 300 text msgs is $35/mo after my 25% corp. discount. I haven't had coverage problems in the last two years or so, except in rural Michigan where my parents live. It still works fairly well, but Verizon (alltel roaming) is better out there, but that's in the sticks. Very happy Sprint customer here, now if they could just get decent customer service...

BTW, it paid for me to cancel my wife's SPRINT service, pay the ETF, then sign her up again under a SERO plan... You just can't beat the price... If you have a laptop, make sure you get one of the phones that can be "tweaked" to allow free tethering. They won't care unless you download gigs per day... I use it every day on my $35 plan.
    I just left Verizon and went to Sprint. Do a search here on how to get out of the etf fees Verizon will try to stick you with. Couldnt be happier with my new Sprint service
    Quote Originally Posted by dstudboy1 View Post
    I just left Verizon and went to Sprint. Do a search here on how to get out of the etf fees Verizon will try to stick you with. Couldnt be happier with my new Sprint service
    I just did the same thing. They waived the ETF fees for the 15 cents increase however it took an entire day on the phone going through many CSRs, managers, and some hung up on me or pretended that the connection got dropped. So much for great customer support. I went through so many hoops to cancel I was so happy when it was over. The first few told me that I couldn't, than I talked to several managers who wanted to see a copy of my contract. I told them they should have a copy of the contract. Then when I cited a couple lines about being able to quit simply by notifying them then they couldn't find that part and had to call me back which they never did. My account was pretty much flagged at this point so I couldn't get very far. So I just called back non stop for 6 hours and finally they put up their arms and let me. Then I get my bill with two ETF's on it, then I called back and they didn't have a record of the waiver and said it was valid. Too bad I recorded all the conversations, for once. I played them over the phone and "oh ya I can see the charges were waived". What a crappy company. I'm saving tons now on SERO. I left sprint for bad customer service but wow they look really good now! Seems you can bend rules a little bit more with sprint CSRs without having to dedicate the entire day to get justice. I am with Sprint for life now. It wasn't greener on the other side of the tracks. The funny thing is coverage my have been better with verizon, every where I go there's no EVDO and with sprint I am finding even places I wouldn't expect to have evdo. If you attempt to get our of your VZW contract, record the call if it's not illegal in your state. it will save you.
    I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I just signed a new contract with Verizon a couple of days ago and now I find out about this SERO plan.

I read somewhere that you could force your phone to roam and it would use Verizon towers, not sure if that is true or not but would be very helpful for me since with Verizon I always have service where I live.
    The 700wx has a 'force roaming' choice in settings. I have just set it to see what happens. Unfortunately I am roaming 'for real' in Mammoth Lakes (what? Sprint can't put up towers in a major ski resort town?).

One known downside. Sprint roaming on VZW in my experience means you get 1x data, not EV-DO.
    My VZW contract runs out in mid-May and I'm leaving for SERO.
    My area is supposed to get EVDO in the near future too.
    So the plan is to get a cheap 700p (since they're being phased out for the 755p), free EVDO, then a Slingbox and WHEEEE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    One known downside. Sprint roaming on VZW in my experience means you get 1x data, not EV-DO.
    Yea, I have a sprint treo 700wx with sero and e815 (regular phone) on verizon... during a trip to atl and savannah, sprint dropped many times while verizon held at least two bars (most of time four). Many times I would have ev on the verizon phone and the sprint would be at 1x.

Even in the charlotte to greenville, and columbia area, verizon beats sprint.

I'll keep the sprint phone since it is cheap data to hook into my laptop, but if verizon were to ever have a "cheap" plan I would jump ship to verizon only.

Even when my verizon contract is over in july 07, I'll keep my verizon phone...

This post is not a complaint, but the facts as I've seen them with two phones side by side since Jan 07. I'll keep both services since both serve a purpose... I love the treo....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I am thinking about leaving T-mobile for the Sero plan. Especially once the 755p comes out. data speeds are way better and T-mobile dosen't seem to be ready to accept REAL smartphones any time soon.
  12.    #12  
    well, had a minor set back, but my 700p on SERO arrives tommorow! Definatly gonna need some help converting my apps from my existing 700p to the Sprint 700p....

Like I have PTunes Deluxe and Kinoma 4x, I still have the emails with the registration info but Im not really sure how to move the apps and install them correctly.

So I will be back in search of answers from you Smart Treo users!
    if you hot sync with the same user id, won't the data transfer over?
    I wonder what I'm missing, but I can't find any information on pricing related to data packages on the Sprint website. I'm thinking of leaving VZW because the say it may be 1-2 years for high speed access.

Can someone please direct me to the data pricing on the Spring website. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slorandy View Post
    I wonder what I'm missing, but I can't find any information on pricing related to data packages on the Sprint website. I'm thinking of leaving VZW because the say it may be 1-2 years for high speed access.

Can someone please direct me to the data pricing on the Spring website. Thanks
    pick any of the treo phones and it will show during the checkout process... once you pick a minutes plan, etc.... on sero most come with data free.... treo does anyway....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    the customer service person at Sprint said Sero is an employee only plan, and a data plan is $39.99/mo. About the same as Vzw.
    Last edited by slorandy; 04/25/2007 at 02:07 PM.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by slorandy View Post
    the customer service person at Sprint said Sero is an employee only plan, and a data plan is $39.99/mo. About the same as Vzw.
    you need to order the phone and plan from the sero website. I believe it is sprint.com/sero.

and as far as transferring my apps all I need to do is name the new device the same name as the old and hot sync?

thanks.
    Thats what I did when they sent me a replacement for my 650 last year.