Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    I'm traveling to the Hanalei bay area (North shore of Kauai, past Princeville) and thought i'd do a last-minute call for service in this area, in the case that someone lives there/has been there recently

    I'll be leaving in a week, and I know the resort I'm staying at has Internet access in the main lobby, i'd love to be able to stay online with my Treo 700p while out and about. I'm not looking for broadband, but even basic email checking would be great.

    According to sprint, they say they have digital voice, but not broadband, but for signal strength it says "unknown". However, I looked at Verizon and they have broadband listed for that area (zip code: 96714). If i Have roaming on my Sprint SERO plan, can I use broadband access in that area?
  2. #2  
    I used Verizon broadband in Maui last month with my Verizon card. But I dont think you can use it if you are on Sprint. I had that issue for the two months I was on sprint a year ago.
  3. #3  
    I'm really glad they at least got Voice, last time I was there(Kaui), no service at all. I had good service/broadband on all the other Islands, have a great time! I miss the Islands
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

    My beer blogs:

    Rev. Rhino on Flickr

    Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by iwbyte View Post
    I'm traveling to the Hanalei bay area (North shore of Kauai, past Princeville) and thought i'd do a last-minute call for service in this area, in the case that someone lives there/has been there recently

    I'll be leaving in a week, and I know the resort I'm staying at has Internet access in the main lobby, i'd love to be able to stay online with my Treo 700p while out and about. I'm not looking for broadband, but even basic email checking would be great.

    According to sprint, they say they have digital voice, but not broadband, but for signal strength it says "unknown". However, I looked at Verizon and they have broadband listed for that area (zip code: 96714). If i Have roaming on my Sprint SERO plan, can I use broadband access in that area?
    I travel to Kauai yearly. Last visit being July '06, While Sprint had DRASTICALLY improved their coverage over the island between 05-06 it still leaves some to be desired. I didnt get much of a signal at all out in Hanalei bay (on a large boat), more or less any data. I was able to get Data services in both Kapaa, and Lahui. BUT this past visit was BEFORE sprint had rights to offer 1xRTT romaing services on VZ. My sister is out there right now, and she has a A900, and she isnt even receiving any incomming phone calls more or less any data.

    Hope this helps, and if they have improved services in the Princeville/Hanalei bay area, please report back!

    and good luck leaving the island, it is NEVER very easy!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by winter720 View Post
    BUT this past visit was BEFORE sprint had rights to offer 1xRTT romaing services on VZ. My sister is out there right now, and she has a A900, and she isnt even receiving any incomming phone calls more or less any data.
    I assume she is also on Sprint? My in-laws are on Cingular, and they seem to be able to get service in Hanalei at the resort
    Quote Originally Posted by winter720 View Post
    Hope this helps, and if they have improved services in the Princeville/Hanalei bay area, please report back! and good luck leaving the island, it is NEVER very easy!
    I guess it helps to not get my hopes up If I get online while i'm there, i'll try to report back then
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by iwbyte View Post
    I assume she is also on Sprint? My in-laws are on Cingular, and they seem to be able to get service in Hanalei at the resort


    I guess it helps to not get my hopes up If I get online while i'm there, i'll try to report back then
    Yes she is on Sprint, I have received better service then she has out there. I told her to request a PRL update, but I might as well be speaking greek.

    For all I know, sprint has improved even more in the last 8 or so months, and I'd imagine you COULD use the 1xRTT VZ data if it is available in the area.

    Enjoy your trip, that place is magical.
  7. #7  
    No its just the A900, I had 3 of them including the A900M and its seriously a pice of crap phone.. Reception vs the treo the treo wins hands down. I can use my treo in my basement(2-3 bars) and my A900 couldnt even get a signal. Also if you can imagine the A900 has a worse battery life..
  8.    #8  
    Good news! I'm posting this from my Treo 700p/Sprint in Hanalei, HI. I had signal and power vision (internet/data) all the way from Lihue. I did switch to roaming on verizon at some point, tho.

    I have four bars and GREEN arrows. Does that mean i'm on hi-speed? I have grey arrows usually and when I check email or actively do something with data they turn green.

    Too bad the wi-fi that my friends told me they were able to hi-jack isn't working for me tho :-(

    Now to sleep- left So. Cal. at 9:00 a.m PT am and now typing this at 11:30 PT (8:30 local)....
  9. #9  
    Green arrows = 1xrtt
    Blue arrows = EVDO-high speed

    Grey arrows= no active connection in use.
  10.    #10  
    thanx for the color-code info. however, as I read this, I have grey arrows.. oh, wait. they turned green when I clicked to 'post reply'

    got it!

    so I guess I just have 1xRTT speeds here on kauai
  11. #11  
    It's been years since I've been to Kauai .. when I was there .. Sprint .. well sucked .. next to nothing. Verizon however .. was full 5 bars!! It almost got me to switch .. but then .. back to the mainland ..LOL!
  12. #12  
    Hello,

    I will be vacationing in Kauai myself and hope some of you can shed some light on using Verizon Broadband service on the island. Specifically, I will be in the Wailua/Kapaa area. Verizon's maps state that they have this service in that area, but it stops just shy of the beach (about 1 mile). I can only assume that the cellular towers are located on the mountain slope inland and within line of sight to where we will be staying. Besides, all cellular coverage maps are notoriously inaccurate to some degree.

    So, can anyone tell me what they know of the real world coverage in this area?


    “Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
    Dr. Z.
  13. #13  
    On Kauai, Sprint voice coverage (and EVDO) are good in some areas, but lacking in others. For example, no Sprint coverage in South area (ex.Poipu).

    BUT, you can roam on Verizon, so it's all good. Voice works fine, as does data (1RXTT, not EVDO). Data roaming is free, voice roaming depends on plan (but most have it).

Posting Permissions