Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I went into a Verizon store today to inquire on upgrading to a 700p. The sales price listed was $299, which got my attention. When I asked the (worthless) sales rep about it, he told me that my price, as an existing customer, would be $499. Can anyone explain this to me? Is Verizon only interested in getting new customers? Why can't I pay the sales price??? Thanks for reading.
    Its common practice for cellphone providers to offer discounted phone prices for "new lines of service". I you were adding a 2nd line to your existing account OR were a brand new customer you would have gotten that cheaper price. If you're locked into an existing contract, there is no incentive for the company to give you a phone discount. You have the most leverage towards the end of your contract, when the company wants you to re-sign and are more willing to offer price breaks. It sucks, but that the way they do business.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Maybe I'll use my "get out of jail free" card (http://consumerist.com/consumer/veri...ase-241065.php) to get the discounted price. You think that would work?
    You could try. Of course a threat (your cancelling the contract and leaving Verizon) is only as good as your intent to go through with it. How much time is left in your current contract?
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I'm officially eligible for my "NET" in September.
    Well, you can either wait until Sept or contact Verizon telesales and see if some sort of deal can be made. I am on Sprint and they will supposedly have a 700p replacement out in May. Its highly likely Verizon could have a similar model out by the time your contract is up in Sept.

I see your in Chesapeake, Virginia Beach here.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    So much for Verizon's VIP program!

You down near the oceanfront?
    No, closer to the new VAB town center area (the new highrise).
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI