1.    #1  
    I'm close to manning up and building a custom antenna for improved call reception on my treo 650.

The way I know how to build one woudl make me design it for a specific frequency range, and I know Sprint operates around 1900MHz, but don't they also operate around 800MHz? If so, how do I know when my phone is on which band? Am I on 800MHz only when roaming? I'd hate to build an awesome antenna that totally boosts me in the 1900MHz range, but is garbage on 800MHz range, leaving me with the same reception as before...
  2.    #2  
    nobody knows how to tell when your phone is / isn't in the 1900MHz range?
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Dial ##33284#. ##DEBUG#, this will give you signal strength, freq, plus a whole lot more. It's not that nobody knows how to tell you, but you can find it in at 500 different threads in this forum.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
  4.    #4  
    I keep trying to search, and I don't know if it's the server or my PC (I just setup new internet connection, as I just moved to a new state). When I search, whether advacned search, or just using 'search', it will do 1 of 2 things - it will tell me 'sorry, no results', or it will just end at a blank page (where I imagine I should be seeing results). I have been trying, and I've read every wiki page on PCS, CDMA, GSM, my treo's manual, etc.

I've gathered that I'm only on 800MHz when roaming, whihc I don't do very often, so I'll prolly be going forth with the project.

Sorry I couldn't have searched it, i haaaaate when people don't utmfse!!!
  5.    #5  
    (BTW, just tried using both of those codes, and neither worked. I hit dial, and they both just dial out, and then tell me they were invalid numbers...)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97 View Post
    Dual Mode / Tri-Band means that it works with two technologies and three frequencies. Most likely with sprint that means its does CDMA (digital) on 1900 and 800 and AMPS (analog) on 800. I think those frequencies are right. I hope this helps.

Joe
    This is where I'm stuck... I'm still reading as many old threads as possible, can't figure out if my phone, while NOT roaming, is still on the 800MHz channel.
    To the OP:
    1. Try ##debug w/o # at the end.
    2. Sprint PCS is 1900 MHz only.
    3. Roaming will connect to either 1900 or 800MHz - other CDMA carriers only.

So, if you're on the Sprint network - you are on 1900MHz. If you're roaming, then DEBUG will tell you what frequency you're on. Good luck.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  8.    #8  
    ##33284, w/ or w/o the "#" after it, does nothing (I've tried manually pressing 'dial', hitting 'enter', etc)(does that mean debug will not work if i'm not currently roaming?)

So you're saying that if I'm not currently roaming, then I'm on 1900MHz? That's perfect, if that's the case then I don't even need to use the DEBUG thing, since I seldom go into roaming, which means building a custom antenna aiming for the 1900MHz band will be just fine then. Gonna be interesting to see how this turns out...
    ^yes, Sprint's network was built on the 1900MHz spectrum from the beginning while Verizon is a conglomeration of several CDMA carriers, hence the dual band.

It's very puzzling that ##DEBUG doesn't work on your treo. Bad unit? Take it to a sprint store to run diagnostics. Good luck.
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  10.    #10  
    thanks! It has always been funky about taking lock codes, I imagine this is the same problem. Whatever, either way I know my RSSI from 2 programs now, so it's all good.

I'll be back with pics once I begin project. Just ordered the adapter on ebay today as nobody had it locally. Whenever it gets down south (from NY), I'll have a rough (read: hideous, but working) antenna that day or the day after. The (hopefully) aesthetically pleasing finish will take much, much longer..
    I am quite interested in your project. I visit a vacation house in the hills that there is a Sprint signal in the driveway but disappears as soon as you enter the house. This might come in handy. Keep us posted.
  12.    #12  
    Will do. I'm gonna begin a separate thread for the project, wiht pictures step by step. I'm pretty sure (especially with the help of others on this / other sites) that it'll come out functional and aesthetic enough. If it does, I feel obliged to do a thorough writeup, as before looking into this i didn't know frequencies, wavelengths, RSSI's, repeaters, FME, etc, so if I can come up with something that works and looks decent, it's a project anyone would be able to do.

Also, some great parts are that i'm only out like $10-20 to build the raw antenna (before building its more expensive casing), so at that point I can plug it in and know if it's even working for me, before spending more on making the antenna look 'stock/OEM' enough. I'm not expecting the project to be more than $50, adn that's if I've gotta buy (and learn how to use) a soldering gun.

I'll provide links to the writeup in all threads I started, like this one, to learn about the antennas/signals themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeity View Post
    I'm close to manning up and building a custom antenna for improved call reception on my treo 650.

The way I know how to build one woudl make me design it for a specific frequency range, and I know Sprint operates around 1900MHz, but don't they also operate around 800MHz? If so, how do I know when my phone is on which band? Am I on 800MHz only when roaming? I'd hate to build an awesome antenna that totally boosts me in the 1900MHz range, but is garbage on 800MHz range, leaving me with the same reception as before...
    You are on 1900mhz when on the Sprint PCS network, and 800mhz anytime you are roaming. Except in very limited areas. Go to the website and coverage. If you choose the hybrid service, you will see an option for roaming. Those phones only roam in the 1900mhz band, which is why they suck. that little bit of gray on the nation wide map is the only places you will roam in the 1900mhz band.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post
    You are on 1900mhz when on the Sprint PCS network, and 800mhz anytime you are roaming. Except in very limited areas. Go to the website and coverage. If you choose the hybrid service, you will see an option for roaming. Those phones only roam in the 1900mhz band, which is why they suck. that little bit of gray on the nation wide map is the only places you will roam in the 1900mhz band.
    By hybrid service, do you mean sprint/nextel? If so, I don't think treo's can even do that. Either way, my phone should be on 1900MHz when it's on sprintPCS network, and can be on 800MHz when roaming. Since I seldom roam, I'm going to turn off the option on my phone to even use digital roaming, so it will stay on the 1900MHz band only. Also, building a dual band custom antenna is a waaay more involved project than I'm feeling up to undertaking, so my antenna will only do 1900. Getting antsy waiting for hte damn cable to show up so I can make this thing already!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeity View Post
    By hybrid service, do you mean sprint/nextel? If so, I don't think treo's can even do that. Either way, my phone should be on 1900MHz when it's on sprintPCS network, and can be on 800MHz when roaming. Since I seldom roam, I'm going to turn off the option on my phone to even use digital roaming, so it will stay on the 1900MHz band only. Also, building a dual band custom antenna is a waaay more involved project than I'm feeling up to undertaking, so my antenna will only do 1900. Getting antsy waiting for hte damn cable to show up so I can make this thing already!

I was referring to the coverage map. not the phone. if you look up the hybrid coverage you will see a check box for roaming. since the hybrids work only on 1900 for voice calling, it will show grey for areas with 1900 roaming.