1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

I got my 700wx from Verizon this week and also requested that they add the unlimited tethering option for $15/month so I can use it with my laptop. I know verizon terminates service if you use 5GBs a month. My question is: in addition to my internet usage from treo alone (browing net, checking email, chatting on IM+), does my tethered internet usage on my laptop count towards that 5GB allowance? I am afraid I am going to hit that 5 GB limit because I plan to tether a considerable amount - it has been blessed since i have the add-on. I plan to tether may be 6 hours a week chatting, surfing the web, and e-mail from my laptop.

Can anyone tell me if I'm better of switching to another carrier or let me know that my usage will be okay?

I just don't want my service termianted and if it is going to because of my usage, I might as well switch now than get "comfortable" with Verizon.

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    I've been on Verizon with a 700w (just upgraded to the wx...thankfully!) for well over a year. The most data I've ever used was well under 300MB. I would guess that unless you're streaming a/v, it would be rather hard to hit 5GB. You can easily check your usage via the Treo or your Verizon online account.

However, and I'll let the Sprint users take over on this, if you've got decent Sprint signal where you need to be, you would save a good deal of money. I don't believe they have any data limits? (again, Sprint users would know better).
    You can check out a program called PDAnet... It has a one time cost of $39.00 and you don't need a tethering plan what so ever... Does not matter if it is on Sprint or Verizon... as long as you use the program you don't have to worry about tethering charges from the carrier. Works flawlessly.
    however the 5 gig limit would still apply.
    PDAnet does not work flawlessly for me. It disconnects after 10-15 seconds EVERY TIME I use it. [700w / Verizon]

I'm hoping I can find the answer as to why this happens.
    I think it has to with the Virtual Modem in the phone. When the modem is idle for awhile (several seconds) it disconnects to save power. As far as the 5GB limit, I believe what I read in my service agreement is if you have the tether agreement, then the limit doesn't apply because they know what your doing, phone as a laptop modem. Versus, just using it without the tether agreement is why they would have the 5GB limit.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firedog341 View Post
    I think it has to with the Virtual Modem in the phone. When the modem is idle for awhile (several seconds) it disconnects to save power. As far as the 5GB limit, I believe what I read in my service agreement is if you have the tether agreement, then the limit doesn't apply because they know what your doing, phone as a laptop modem. Versus, just using it without the tether agreement is why they would have the 5GB limit.
    That would be the logical assumption, but it's not the case. There is a disclaimer on the bottom of the Verizon "Broadband Access Connect" (tethering) webpage:

http://b2b.vzw.com/productsservices/...Modem%20Phones

That reads: "If more than 5 GB/line/month are used, we presume use is for non-permitted uses and reserve the right to terminate service immediately."

So the question is...what does the extra $15/month really get you?
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shredhead View Post
    PDAnet does not work flawlessly for me. It disconnects after 10-15 seconds EVERY TIME I use it. [700w / Verizon]

I'm hoping I can find the answer as to why this happens.
    I have Motorola Q with Verizon. It never disconnect until I tell it to.