Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Here's the deal. I have a Treo 700p that I got through Sprint, I want to use it on Verizon. The ESN attached to the Treo does show up in Verizon's system as a Treo 700w. They did the ESN change for me, but I could not program the phone using *228 since there is no Verizon software on the phone. I ended up going back to my old phone until I can find a way to change the software on the Treo. Anyone give me some input on this? I've looked for a couple days to find a solution, but everything I have found is very outdated.

The reason I have been inspired to do this lately is because of the recent law change enacted that you can read via the link below.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/..._unlock28.html
    That article pertains to GSM handsets, not CDMA handsets. Sorry buddy, but you're SOL.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Even despite that article being about GSM, Verizon recognizes the ESN as valid. So the only thing that stands in the way is the software on the phone, I've read some about people migrating a Treo 650 from Sprint to Verizon on a software level. If it's not possible to change the software/firmware, I can understand that aspect of it.
    Verizon put the brakes on this issue with Treo 650 swaps about 2 years ago -- I doubt if they are going to open the door for it to happen with the 700Ps . . . . just my 2 cents.

Anyway -- you would probably need a ROM transfer -- and until they release a ROM upgrade (and thus the mechanism the hackers need ) -- the ability to create custom ROMs for the 700P is at a standstill.
    Both Sprint and Verizon will only activate ESNs that are listed in their carrier ESN database meaning only branded Treos from that carrier can be activated.