1.    #1  
    I dont have experience with either OS so I am unsure of what phone I should buy. Is it a clear choice or is it up to the user? I would say I am savvy with using phones in that I love getting different apps and customizing my phones with content. I plan on using the phone mostly for: phone, internet, navigation, mp3 player, games, and calendar.
    What do you guys think?
    Thanks
    Hey Tekniqal!

Try the threads listed in this post (and try the google thing).

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ight=700p+700w

I have used the PalmOS for 10 years -- so I had "history" and software built up. Starting from scratch -- you will have to be the judge -- but do look at both screens in operation to see if you have a preference. . . . . since that is what you will be staring at. . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you
    Doesn't it depend on what you want to do, or have heard you can do? The different OS's have different capabilities.

Surur
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Doesn't it depend on what you want to do, or have heard you can do? The different OS's have different capabilities.

Surur
    Doesnt WM have more possibilities?
    I had owned a PalmVII in the past, but i much prefer the UI of WM5.
    I have the 700p. I like the range of software I've already purchased, combined with the marginal impact of a higher resolution screen.
  8.    #8  
    Is it true that WM has more software and customization available?
    I believe there is more software available for the Palm OS than for WM5. But what really matters is the availability and quality of the software you want. After all, if you use 20 programs, who cares about the other 19,980? Unless you want something esoteric, you can probably find software to do what you want for either platform. I have had a Treo with the Palm OS since 2002 and have become accustomed to the way it works. I am currently very happy with my 700p, as I am sure many others are with their 700WX. You asked if it is simply a personal choice. Yes, it largely is.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
    I believe there is more software available for the Palm OS than for WM5. But what really matters is the availability and quality of the software you want. After all, if you use 20 programs, who cares about the other 19,980? Unless you want something esoteric, you can probably find software to do what you want for either platform. I have had a Treo with the Palm OS since 2002 and have become accustomed to the way it works. I am currently very happy with my 700p, as I am sure many others are with their 700WX. You asked if it is simply a personal choice. Yes, it largely is.
    Thanks
    As a Palm (er, Garnet) user myself, it pains me to say this, but I think Windows has a stronger future outlook.
    I do not think you will see Palm using the "Garnet OS" as supplied by Access. My belief is that they are working on an in-house Palm/Linux solution, which they are now free to call the "Palm OS" due to the recent licensing agreement with Access.

You are right K -- the PalmOS future will be determined by the vitaltity of this new hybrid offering from Palm. If this phoenix flies from the ashes of FrankenGarnet -- then the game is on. If it flops, Microsoft or Apple will be the future.

Cheers, Perry.
  13.    #13  
    A sprint rep recently told me that 700p is better for mp3, I cant imagine that there are not apps out there for WM5 that make mp3 listening very easy or even WMP for that matter. When i think of WM5 I think of Windows for PC and I feel like if I think of an idea for a program it probably already exists and I may be applying this concept to WM5 too freely. But I feel like WM5 will offer more apps for my phone. Also I feel like its going to be easier to get and install apps on a WM5 phone. For example, if I want to goto a website (I wont list the name but I get lots of free software for my current multimedia phone there) and pick up apps it will be easy for me to add, test, and keep or remove them.
    On a side note I have heard that WM is just as easy to use one-handed as Palm as long as you know the tricks.
    As a Palm (er, Garnet) user myself, it pains me to say this, but I think Windows has a stronger future outlook.
    No doubt...but for the lifecycle of a Treo that you purchase today, you need only worry about what is available for the next couple of years. If you want to stay on the cutting edge of smartphone OS technology, then Garnet OS hasn't been the way to go for the last couple of years.

Also I feel like its going to be easier to get and install apps on a WM5 phone.
    I haven't used Windows Mobile for several years now so I can't compare ease of use today, but installing Palm applications is as easy as downloading a .prc file into memory directly from a website, or as complicated as hotsync-ing from your computer. Either way, it is as simple as can be.