1.    #1  
    I've been relying on Sprint PCS Business Connect Personal Edition and my Treo600 for a long time now. The ability to send/receive exchange e-mail without our IT department having to do anything (or even know) is priceless.

I'm thinking of switching to a Windows mobile device, either a 700wx or a Motorola Q. Is there some equivilent desktop push mechanism that works with Windows Mobile? Thanks.
  2.    #2  
    I think perhaps what I'm looking for is called ActiveSync. If I'm correct about that, then another question. BusinessConnect relies on a Sprint server; the little desktop app communicates with this server, and the server communicates with my Treo. Is that how ActiveSync works too?
  3.    #3  
    From what I can tell. ActiveSync is a destop app similar to Palm HotSync; it allows you to sync via a direct connection with your desktop. Exchange ActiveSync is something that must be installed/enabled on the Exchange server, and it allows for synchronization over the air.

So if that's correct, I will not be able to sync a WindowsMobile phone over the air without support from my IT department. Without that, my only option would be to stick with Business Connect Personal Adition and a phone that supports that app. Thanks.
    PCS Business Connection is available for Windows Mobile and it works very well. The Windows Mobile application is available in the downloads section once you log into http://bc.sprintpcs.com using your BizConn login account.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by xpgeek View Post
    PCS Business Connection is available for Windows Mobile and it works very well.
    Ah, thanks, I didn't realize that. In this case I would *not* be using Outlook Mobile, right?

Also, I notice that neither no WM Treo nor the Motorola Q are listed as supported devices. The only WM device listed is the 'PPC 6700'. Should I expect the Business Connection client for PPC 6700 to work on any WM5 phone?
    Last edited by barcolounger; 01/15/2007 at 06:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by barcolounger View Post
    Ah, thanks, I didn't realize that. In this case I would *not* be using Outlook Mobile, right?

Also, I notice that neither no WM Treo nor the Motorola Q are listed as supported devices. The only WM device listed is the 'PPC 6700'. Should I expect the Business Connection client for PPC 6700 to work on any WM5 phone?
    Actually, it's just a sync program that works with the built-in Mobile Outlook. So, you will be using Mobile Outlook which is good.

Oops, my apologies...I forgot to respond to this part of your last message.

Yes, select the PPC 6700 from the BizConn website and it will work just the same.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Exchange ActiveSync basically uses WebMail a.k.a. Outlook Web Access. I use this in VersaMail on my 700p.

So if your company provides WebMail, you're set. No additional servers are required, nothing needed from Sprint other than the data connection, no extra costs or administration.
    - Fushigi
  9.    #9  
    My company does provide WebMail (Exchange 2003). But they have not installed SP2 yet, no ActiveSync push.

Xpgeek or anyon else: From the phone users point of view, is there any difference between an ActiveSync push setup, and a BizConn setup with WM5? Could a phone user tell the difference? (I mean besides having to run a desktop app unattended for BizConn).

Thanks
    Xpgeek or anyon else: From the phone users point of view, is there any difference between an ActiveSync push setup, and a BizConn setup with WM5? Could a phone user tell the difference? (I mean besides having to run a desktop app unattended for BizConn).
    Activesync will push just as good as BizConn; most of the time even better. You will not notice a difference on your side of things. I would highly recommend using Activesync over BizConn if your IT department has Exchange 2003 with the proper service pack installed.

It defeats the "middle man" approach of using a desktop client which can be a pain if either the client stops working or the Sprint BizConn server starts having problems. Plus you don't have to pay the extra money for BizConn on your Sprint bill anymore.