1.    #1  
    I'm going to Lake Tahoe next week and Verizon doesn't have EVDO there. However, Sprint does. Is there such a thing as roaming with data coverage?
    I don't know off the top of my head if Verizon allows data roaming yet. If I were you I probably wouldn't use it much if at all. Sprint's data roaming rate is $0.39 per kb. Verizon's is going to be equal to that, if not higher if they offer data roaming.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks MWD.

I guess it's dial-up then.
    Well, from what I dug up over at Verizon.HowardForums.com, it seems Verizon only allows data roaming with connection cards and PDA's, but not handsets. Even so, Verizon doesn't have any data roaming agreements with any other carriers in the Lake Tahoe area.
  5.    #5  
    You're the guy, MD! Thanks so much for your research.

As I said, it's dial-up - unless the condo has wi-fi, which is also a possibility.
    It's official: Verizon doesn't have EVDO roaming with Sprint...so nope: Dial up it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestDrummer View Post
    I don't know off the top of my head if Verizon allows data roaming yet. If I were you I probably wouldn't use it much if at all. Sprint's data roaming rate is $0.39 per kb. Verizon's is going to be equal to that, if not higher if they offer data roaming.
    From what I read somewhere I don't remember and by personal experience from my trip to Vancouver, Canada I believe Sprint doesn't charge for data roaming. I spent a whole week in Vancouver on August and I didn't get charge a penny for data roaming. Have that changed recently?

Al
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    That's what I'm wondering too...
    Since when did Sprint charge for data roaming??
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Starting with PRL 23, you can Roam on Data on Verizon and other smaller CDMA networks for free at 1x speed NOT EVDO. Period. I spent 4 1/2 hrs on the phone with Sprint over billing, dropped call, SMS, voicemail, etc issues, got nothing resolved and was transferred to friklkin India twice !! However, i did speak with the manager at the store near me and he said that roaming on Data is free and that sometimes it may actually kick into EVDO and you should not be charged if you have an unlimited plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    From what I read somewhere I don't remember and by personal experience from my trip to Vancouver, Canada I believe Sprint doesn't charge for data roaming. I spent a whole week in Vancouver on August and I didn't get charge a penny for data roaming. Have that changed recently?

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    That's what I'm wondering too...
    Since when did Sprint charge for data roaming??
    I was referring to EDVO data roaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post

Al
    I am on a Sprint SERO plan which includes free roaming. However, I got a charge on my latest bill that has Data Roaming for 4 minutes at $.39/minute.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Another question on EV-DO on Verizon, what freqs does it use? 800 Mhz or 1900 Mhz? Also, anyone know the code you use to find out the particulars of what freqs/system you are on? example to find out what caused your last crash on Verizon anyway is #*#377 dial thanks
    Sprint does not charge for data roaming in the US, only when roaming in other countries.

Sprint has EVDO/1xRTT roaming agreements with Alltel. In fact, I'm roaming DO on Alltel right now well N of Tampa and am posting this message vi Alltel DO with a Sprint card. I called Sprint and confirmed there are no data roaming charges.

Sprint/Verizon also now have data roaming agreements but only 1xRTT, not EVDO.

Sprint also has DO roaming agreements in Mexico and Canada but for a Kb charge.

Verizon has no EVDO roaming agreements with anyone yet AFIK.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  14.    #14  
    Well, it turns out that Verizon has 1xRTT up here (Tahoe, specifically Northstar, which is near Truckee). This post is proof.

Weird that I called them to ask whether there was data up here and they said no.