Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I seem to be having a strange problem with the new Sprint data roaming on Verizon. I have noticed in roaming areas my active data (green arrows) comes and goes even when no application on the phone is requesting data. I noticed this because my calls kept going to voice mail. I can sit and watch the data lights go from green to gray (back and forth). I don't use any program that should ask for data that ofen. I have snapper mail set to check mail every 30 minutes. Thats it. I can even try to call myself when the arrows are gray and even then the calls go to voice mail half of the time.

I also noticed that in an area where my phone will usually switch back to Sprint from roaming it will not switch back now. My data shows to be signed on and the arrows go between green and gray. The phone never switched back to Sprint. I went to roaming preferences and changed to Sprint only and it came up with a full sprint signal.

This could be a problem because I am a salesman and travel rural areas that go between Sprint and roaming all the time. Anyone else seen anything like this happen?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Yes, I've seen this as well - in fact I was about to start a thread here about it. I don't have a Treo - I have a Sprint 6700 and just installed the newly released ROM for this phone a few weeks ago which (among other things) adds the data roaming capability.

I had been wondering why my battery has been getting killed since the update, and I'm convinced that this is the reason why. My house is in a valley and has a very weak Sprint signal. Now that I can data-roam, my 6700 often switches over to Verizon. (I have MS Direct push enabled so I always have a data connection going) After staring at the connection arrows, they are definitely going white very often - like multiple times per minute for no reason.
    This completely unnecessary "pinging" is like a buzzsaw to battery life and doesn't happen when I'm on Sprint's network. (dumb Verizon....)

Being a former Treo 600 guy, I remember back when Verizon first got the Treo 600 and one of the chief complaints around here was this exact thing. I thought they fixed it (a while ago) so I don't know if this is related to that or not.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I went in a Sprint store today to ask about this. They had no idea what I was talking about. The tech just wanted to exchange my phone. I took them over to their display treo and switched to roaming only and went on line to activate the connection. I then went back to allow roaming. It would not change back to a Sprint signal and there was the constant pinging. The only answer they had was to call Sprint technical support.

This does kill the battery and if not careful could put you over half your minutes roaming. I am going to call tech support and report the problem. Here is the number they gave me to call 866-818-1944