1.    #1  
    Anyone know the implications of the new policy mandating that carriers unlock phone software? It takes place this week. I'm assuming this means I could take my Sprint Treo to Verizon (legally) or another CDMA carrier. Anyone know how it would get done? this would seem to require some kind of firmware update?
    Wow, cool if this can be done. Now if the CDMA carriers join the GSM carriers and catch the SIM Card religion . . . .
    Do anyone know if you have to enter into a new contract to have this done
    There is no "FCC Policy" requiring carriers to unlock cell phones that I'm aware of. Do you have a link to it?

The Library of Congress, which regulates copyright law, said that it's legal for customers to unlock their phones. I don't read anywhere that carriers are required to unlock them for you. What this says is that if you can figure out how to do it yourself, or pay someone else to do it, you don't violate copyright law. That doesn't mean you won't violate the terms of your contract (if GSM carriers don't put language banning unlocking in their contracts now, you can bet they will soon). And it doesn't mean carriers won't try to find some other way to prevent it.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...33202&from=rss

http://www.toptechnews.com/news/Unlo...d=11300C1NKJ2I

Does this apply to CDMA phones? That's a good question. Technically, CDMA phones aren't "locked." But Sprint and Verizon won't activate any phone that has an ESN from a foreign carrier. I doubt this ruling forces them to.

Found the language. It says the following class is exempt from the Millenium Copyright Act:

Computer programs in the form of firmware that enable wireless telephone handsets to connect to a wireless telephone communication network, when circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of lawfully connecting to a wireless telephone communication network.
    I read this as saying that you can break the program that prevents you from using your cell phone on another network. That's all. Clearly no language that prevents carriers from adding that software, or that requires them to help you break it. And nothing that says CDMA carriers have to activate a phone they didn't sell. I think people are reading way to much into this decision.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 11/28/2006 at 10:13 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    How can they claim it violates your contract? If you bought the phone, it's yours. How can they outright ban unlocking on a phone you own? Anyway, they never complained when you unlocked your phones before, they just often refused to do it so you had to get an unlocker to do it. Cingular even told me it was OK to get it unlocked somewhere else. I think the Copyright Office just clarified the issue for those who were unaware that they could unlock their phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    How can they claim it violates your contract? If you bought the phone, it's yours. How can they outright ban unlocking on a phone you own?
    They won't necessarily know if you've unlocked a phone, but providers do have a right to limit what phones get on their network. Just because you bought and own a phone doesn't mean a provider is required to let you use their network since the network is essentially private.
    LOL! People use factory unlocked phones all the time!! They don't care what you use as long as you pay the bill!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    But can you unlock a CDMA phone? I have heard of unlocked GSM phone but never CDMA.
    CDMA phones were "unlocked" before 1995. But then the cell companies used the cloning and theft issue as a pretense to lock down phones to one carrier. I'm sure they could have found a better way to prevent cloning and it's too bad it took 10 years for the government to officially announce this.