1.    #1  
    I need help understanding something.. Maybe first i should explain my situation:
    I have been using my Treo 700w for the past year and LOVE it. I travel around the U.S. for business about 2-3 times a month.. The treo is perfect for what i need it for - especially email/calender.

However when i am home (working out of the office) i dont really need the treo.. And quite honestly it can get quite bulky.. This weekend at the Wake Forest football game I was wishing i had a smaller device..

So here is what i am going to do: Buy a Motorola Q to use for when i am not traveling and dont need to work mobile.. Then when i travel, i will switch back to the Treo. This would be very easy if i were with Cingular - i could just switch the SIM card. But with Verizon its a little trickier.

So here's my question: When i log onto my Verizon Wireless account, there is an option for entering an ESN number and activating a new phone.. Which should be my solution.. But why the heck does this not work for smartphones/blackberry's?? It only works for regular cell phones.. I have to physically call in to Verizon and get them to switch - which is a PAIN! On top of the fact that they try to charge me $20 every time I've done it in the past!

Can someone please explain why you cant activate a smartphone from the website??!! This sucks!
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112 View Post
    Can someone please explain why you cant activate a smartphone from the website??!! This sucks!
    Yes...it sucks (Verizon)...they do it that way on smartphones so that they can be sure to charge you for the appropriate data plan. Either pay-as-you-go or some other package...
    Treo 650 Verizon
  3.    #3  
    they do it that way on smartphones so that they can be sure to charge you for the appropriate data plan
    Is that the reason??!! I have the unlim data plan - so it shouldnt matter?!
    I have swapped between my i730, 700w, XV6600, XV6700, and Moto Q many times (perhaps 30) using just the website. In the past week I swapped from my Moto Q to my i730 and back to my Moto Q using the web site. I'm not sure what to tell you that I'm doing differently.
    Right...but you can't go from a 1xRTT device to a smartphone with a data plan. Or the other way.

Your phone must be in the same class.

Smartphone-Smartphone
    EVDO-EVDO
    1xRTT-1xRTT

And of course all must be E911 capable.
  6.    #6  
    Right...but you can't go from a 1xRTT device to a smartphone with a data plan. Or the other way.

Your phone must be in the same class.

Smartphone-Smartphone
    EVDO-EVDO
    1xRTT-1xRTT

And of course all must be E911 capable.
    When i get replacement Treo 700w's - i can never do it online.. I always have to call in to Verizon..

I'll be receiving my Q in a few days - so i'll try to go from my Treo to the Q.. Will let you know what happens.
    When i get replacement Treo 700w's - i can never do it online.. I always have to call in to Verizon..
    Do you pay your bill electronically? It seems to me I was once told that's what you needed to do to get the online ESN change.
    I was able to change from a Treo 650 to a 700p last night without any problems.
    Pablo TX is right...you can switch just not between different classes of phones.
  10.    #10  
    Do you pay your bill electronically? It seems to me I was once told that's what you needed to do to get the online ESN change.
    No i dont pay electronically.. We pay by check. What would that have to do with being about to change the ESN online?
    I have a family plan with 3 lines and on my main line I've gone from 700w to RAZR to Q to 700w to Q to 700w and even last night went from 700w to LG the V back to a 700w. only downside is that after a esn swap my sms get's screwed up and whoeve I text gets numerous text messages with a bunch of my old emails and I can't figure out how to fix it.
    My Palm Treo 700w was a snitch
    hmm...i might have to try and check that out. it would be nice to not lug the treo around sometimes...