Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, my Treo 700P broke, and its under warranty. I went on the Palm website, and they said 'all repairs are handled by Sprint' and gave me a number to call. I called the number, got a Sprint tech support rep, and he said 'yes, your phone is broken, you need to take it into a store for repair'.

Took it into a store today, and two employees plus a manager INSISTED that since I don't have insurance, I HAD to call Palm and get them to repair it. I pointed out the statement on the Palm website that all repairs are handled by Sprint, and their opinion was unchanged.

Whats the real story here? If it is Palm's problem, what is the number to call? The one on the Palm website goes to Sprint....

ARG.
  2.    #2  
    Just called the Palm number, but they require $25 for 'advanced exchange', the only option that is really open to me. What on earth is this? They charge you for in warranty repair ??
    Your Sprint store is BSing you. Sprint is responsible for all warranty repairs/exchanges with no additional charge. They can, however, replace it with a refurbished unit. Then the warranty will be 90 days or time left in the original warranty, whichever is longer. Go back to your store. If you call Sprint CS, they will tell you the same thing - to have the store run diagnostics on your treo. If it fails, they should replace it for free. Good luck.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    yeah same problem with me >> my 650 died, took it in, they said it has to be replaced but said they would charge. I told them that since its under the 1 year warranty they shouldn't charge for it.

I called CS and they also said i shouldn't have to pay, but after playing phone tag with sprint they told me I'd either a) have to pay or b) go through palm, who handles the warranty services

According to palm's website, the 1 year warranty is administered through Sprint entirely, am I correct?

In any case, after much haggling with the retarded supervisors and such they're sending me a Q for no charge. They wanted to charge me 150 more for the 700, but i've already got a 700w so I thot i'd give this a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by dordal View Post
    Just called the Palm number, but they require $25 for 'advanced exchange', the only option that is really open to me. What on earth is this? They charge you for in warranty repair ??
    I agree with ChemEngr that the store is probably giving you the shaft (unless Sprint/Palm have changed the warranty responsibility policy/procedure from what they've done in the past). By the mere fact that Palm offered the $25 advance exchange, I supect that the have indeed changed warranties to be done through Palm rather than Sprint. Personally, this is probably a good thing as Palm probably knows the product better than Sprint. Regarding the $25 for advance exchange, I did this once with a Palm IIIxe many years back and I felt a bit ripped off too. I think Palm figures most people want a replacement device ASAP and this is a good way to subzidize the warranty claims dept. In Palm's defense, they are offering a service (loaning you a device before getting your broken one) but it's hardly worth the price they charge.

Regarding your options, I'd call *2 on Sprint and say "Cancel" to Claire (the automated voice), this will put you through to a retentions representative. Explain your displeasure and the confusing information about who handles warranty service. Explain the both Sprint and Palm have left a bad taste in your mouth and that you are not sure you want to continue your relationship with Sprint (just on principle), and you are considering cancelling in spite of a possible termination fee. You will go ahead and get the warranty replacment but that you are considering selling that on EBay after getting the new unit. Say you aren't sure what you will do yet, but that you need an intelligent person to give you a straight answer and that this probelm should be resolved. How this problem is addressed may affect your decision to stay with Sprint or to consider other carriers and/or phone suppliers. Perhaps at this point, say you might give up on Palm and Sprint and just use a wifi- phone at work and at hot spots, and that when the IPhone comes out, you might consider a smartphone again. If you can make something like the above sound real, the first two calls to Sprint Retentions will pretty much fall on deaf ears, but by the 3rd or 4th call, without a resolution (if this happens), they will start offering you a discount on your plan to continue to stay with Sprint or at least some perks. I'm hoping that Retentions can help you understand the correct procedure regarding warranty replacement. You should consider also paying the $7/month for equipment replacement insurance. If you are truly unhappy, let them know and be persistent. If you just need to know the correct procedure, play unhappy and they'll probably find out for you. I've learned that regular *2 Sprint reps ususally aren't very knowledgable, so when I get into a predicament like yours, I "call in the big guns" by saying "cancel". Please make sure to be polite and considerate to whoever you talk to, and take good notes during or after each call (and mention things you've noted from past calls on the next ones). By doing this, they will know you are serious about resolving your problem and someone will work to help you be happy. My guess is: if you could get some better deal on your monthly bill, and you then sprung for the additional $7/month when your replacement phone is activated, that you would be happy with Sprint and Palm Treos.

good luck, - Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I'd call *2 on Sprint and say "Cancel" to Claire (the automated voice), this will put you through to a retentions representative. Explain your displeasure and the confusing information about who handles warranty service. Explain the both Sprint and Palm have left a bad taste in your mouth and that you are not sure you want to continue your relationship with Sprint (just on principle), and you are considering cancelling in spite of a possible termination fee.
    Say that, and the rep will smile and gladly disconnect your service.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    Your Sprint store is BSing you. Sprint is responsible for all warranty repairs/exchanges with no additional charge.
    Since when? It's always been that if you don't pay the extra monthly fee for Sprint's Total Equipment Protection, then it defers to the manufacturers warranty, to be repaired or replaced by the manufacturer.
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestDrummer View Post
    Say that, and the rep will smile and gladly disconnect your service.
    Yes, Drummer, in hindsight I'd have to agree with you (mostly). I don't think they'd disconnect you if you were "considering", but the customer would loose leverage in avoiding a termination fee as they would have already indicated willingness to pay it. The OP should defer to your judgement on this part.
    Since when? It's always been that if you don't pay the extra monthly fee for Sprint's Total Equipment Protection, then it defers to the manufacturers warranty, to be repaired or replaced by the manufacturer.
    Are you sure? (I really don't know what happens w/o ESP (or whatever they call the $7/month plan). I've always had it, and Sprint has indicated my phone was under warranty and would be replaced when such problems happened. In any case, Palm by offering a $25 advance replacement, has also more or less indicated they'd cover the warranty. The OP can avoid the $25 by sending in their device first and then waiting for Palm to ship out the replacement, but that would mean at least 2x as long to get the replacement. I needed mine at the time and reluctantly paid the charge. I think most people do. [Hopefully someone who didn't use the advance replacement route can chime in and say how long the shipment takes in that case.]
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    wait so is the first year warranty covered by sprint or palm? sprint gives me mixed signals, it depends on who i speak to, while palm tells me that sprint is responsible?

grr sprint CS is retarded -- with utmost appreciation for the word 'retarded'
    Last edited by rshaan; 02/21/2007 at 05:38 PM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    i love it when the OP doesn't follow up...
    Your posts and mine started over 2 weeks after his last one, so he probably didn't think to check back. I'm guessing he ate the $25. It would have been nice to know his outcome.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I emailed all the CS emails I could find online with the question... i'll update if/when i ever hear anything back. Apparently, according to the computer generated post card i received, Sprint appreciates my business.
    To: Gary.D.Forsee ||at|| mail.sprint.com

CC:
    customer.servicenet||at|| mail.sprint.com
    Len.J.Lauer||at|| mail.sprint.com
    sprintphonemanager||at|| sprint.com

Mr Forsee,

I realize you're a busy individual but I have a
    lingering question regarding warranties with
    Palm devices on the Sprint network.

According to the CSRs I've spoken to, I've gotten
    mixed responses regarding who is responsible
    for my 1 year warranty on my Palm Treo 650.

Palm's website clearly states that Sprint devices fall
    under Sprint-administered warranty, but the
    individuals at all the Sprint stores I've visited tell me
    otherwise.

Who is responsible for my device?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
    Seems odd... if you don't have Sprints TEP then you don't have a warranty? Is that what they are saying? I don't have it, never thought about it since I replace items after about a year anyway. I know a lost phone is not covered, but I thought if it starts to die I would at least get a replacment... hmm... now I'm not so sure.

What does the 1 yr warranty from palm cover?

Technical support, repairs and customer support for Sprint PCS Treo 700wx, 650, 600 and 300 smartphones are provided by Sprint PCS. Please contact Sprint PCS for more information.
    Don’t have the Sprint PCS Total Equipment Protection Plan? Palm offers Out of Warranty repair services for Sprint PCS branded Treo smartphones where Sprint PCS customers are not participants in the Sprint PCS Total Equipment Protection Plan program. In short, this means that Palm offers repairs if you have not opted for the protection of the Sprint PCS handset insurance. Typical reasons why you may use this service include broken screen or damaged exterior plastics. Palm does not accept repair orders for smartphones which are damaged beyond economic repair; this includes getting the handheld wet or crushing it. Start an out of warranty repair order for a Sprint PCS Treo smartphone.

Click here to proceed to Sprint PCS Support online.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    yeah -- so i'm curious about that 1 year warranty. I'm assuming it covers my screen defect, which the technician clearly identified as a defect.
    Since always. I don't subscribe to ANY equipment protection. I had a problem with my 300 - Sprint replaced it (not Handspring). AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Sprint$ $has$ $replaced$ $my$ $friends$' $and$ $family$'$s$ $phones$ $directly$ $when$ $they$ $have$ $a$ $problem$ $within$ $the$ $one$ $year$ $warranty$ $period$ - $not$ $the$ $manufacturer$.

However, I will concede that Sprint CSRs are trying to push this TEP stuff. And I am starting to hear them say to call the manufacturer. So Sprint's business plan must be changing and one year warranty claims are starting to get routed to the manufacturer - I actually saw this in the users guide for my daughter's new KRZR. I will never pay insurance for my phone - Sprint or manufacturer should cover the first year and AMEX will cover the second year. The 600 was the first PDA/phone I held on to over two years. To each his own...
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I can't believe this thread has gone on this long. Sprint changed it's policy on performing free warranty work on 1/1/06...That's not a typo...2006. The manufacturers were denying numerous repairs as "customer abuse" so sprint stopped doing the warranty work and now refers ALL warranty claims to the maker of the device. Sprint will work on the phone but if there is no ESRP on the account there is a $15-$50 charge. There was a "grace period" from Jan 1 to May 31 in which Managers could waive the charge...After Jun 1 that went away.

It was talked about here and at Sprintusers extensively. I ddon't see why there is still confusion.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Thanks Dragonman. I'm glad you are working for Sprint these days and chimed in with an authoritative answer. I (and perhaps many of us) don't regularly read sprintusers.com. I didn't have enough initiative to research the answer on my own (due to other demands in life.)

thanks, -- Bob
    Hey Dragonman, you have helped me out before so I thought I'd give another issue a go! I have had terrible reception (if that's the appropriate word) in and around my house since I brought home my Sprint Treo 650 1 1/2 years ago. NEVER more than 2 bars and always moves up and down to zero bars causing lots of dropped calls, no rings from incoming calls and so on. I have gone through phone tests at a Sprint store, prl updates, tower recalibrations etc., to no avail. At this point I really think I am in a coverage hole. Is there anything else I could try that you know of? I want to stay with Sprint but issue has finally taken its toll on me! Any thoughts?
    Ttrundle I will call you tomorrow. I have one last thing I can try to determine if it is in fact a coverage hole.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast