1.    #1  
    Do I need any unlock code? Any specifics??? I know that for GSM phones you need unlock code if its branded (like cingular or tmobile) to open it up in order to use GSM treo650 outside USA on any GSM network.
    I am going out of USA and in this country they offer CDMA 1900 mhz frequency (same as sprint, mostly) also they offer EVDO. I wanted to know can I use my old Sprint branded treo650 on different network??
    Thanks in advance.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    You might be best to ask to phone co. over whereever?

or

Post which phone co. in what country you might try this with, to see if anyone from treocentral has had any experience dealing with them?. Treocentral does have some overseas members which might be able to help you
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Verizon has a good page listing all the various countries you can use CDMA phones in. That will tell you if it is POSSIBLE to get a signal using a CDMA phone in that country.

However, the way this works for verizon is presumably some sort of agreement with the other country's phone operators, so you get billed back at home on your verizon account for the overseas usage. I would assume the same is true for Sprint.

So, what do you want to do? Go into sprint office, get a contract on your "old 650", and then get permission for international calling/roaming on that plan? If so then go to the sprnt office. Alternatively, if you want to take the phone overseas and walk into the offices of a phone company there, and set up an account with them (probably cheaper), then you need the phone to be unlocked, and again the local sprint office is your friend.
  4.    #4  
    Ok. I think I explained my situation wrong. What I am trying to ask was: Technically, is it possible for CDMA to be unlocked so I can use it on any other network, using same frequency (like on CDMA 1900 as sprint)???? I bought treo700p and my treo650 is basically sitting here doing nothing.
    Since I will be living in two countries in my 5 country trip and they offer CDMA technoclogy, can I use my old treo 650 (sprint branded) without any unlock codes, any modification done??? Or do I have to do anything special to get it work??
    Basically my question is: can I or I cant use sprint branded treo650 as an unlock CDMA device (not under service) on any network???
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    That would probably depend on what carrier you intend to use while in the other countries...if they will provision your phone or not.

But as you say it's a "trip" rather than a relocation, you'd probably be better off seeing if Sprint will let you roam in those countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    What I am trying to ask was: Technically, is it possible for CDMA to be unlocked so I can use it on any other network, using same frequency (like on CDMA 1900 as sprint)????
    The short answer to your question is yes. The caveats include:

- Your phone isn't "locked" in a GSM sense. Your phone's assigned ESN, owned by Sprint, won't be touched by some other providers (like Verizon).

- You will need to convince the gaining provider to accept your phone's ESN onto their network.

I have heard of this being done successfully in Mexico and Korea with a Verizon phone.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The short answer to your question is yes. The caveats include:

- Your phone isn't "locked" in a GSM sense. Your phone's assigned ESN, owned by Sprint, won't be touched by some other providers (like Verizon).

- You will need to convince the gaining provider to accept your phone's ESN onto their network.

I have heard of this being done successfully in Mexico and Korea with a Verizon phone.
    Now this is the most clear answer I was hoping for. Thanks a lot. I was just worried that if there would be a lock of some kind that will stop me using it abroad.
    And PabloTX, it is actually funny but CDMA (if you get locally) are cheaper than GSM counter parts in some countries. So for me to get CDMA prepaid is worth more than anything in some of countries. And Sprint roaming will not be as cheap. So that is not an option. I will keep GSM unlocked phone just in case though.