1.    #1  
    OVERLAND PARK, Kan. 10/24/2006

Sprint (NYSE: S) today announced that it has upgraded the Sprint Power Vision Network(SM), the nation's largest wireless broadband network covering more than 164 million people, with the faster EV-DO Revision A technology in the San Diego market making it the first market in the country to have the technology commercially available. With the upgraded mobile broadband network, customers in San Diego will ultimately be able to utilize richer applications and services such as high-speed video telephony, music on demand, video messaging and large file uploads.

San Diego is the first of 21 markets where Sprint will roll out EV-DO Revision A this year with coverage expected to reach more than 40 million people. Sprint Power Vision users in these markets should experience significantly faster average upload speeds of 300-400 kbps (compared with 50-70 kbps of current EV-DO networks). Average download speeds should also increase to 450800 kbps from 400-700 kbps. By 3Q 2007, Sprint's Power Vision network is expected to be completely upgraded to the faster EV-DO Revision A.

The other markets scheduled to launch this year are:

Baltimore
    Boston
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Denver
    Detroit
    Hartford, Conn.
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Las Vegas
    Los Angeles
    Milwaukee
    New York City
    Newark/Trenton, N.J.
    Philadelphia
    Pittsburgh
    Providence, R.I.
    Sacramento, Calif
    Salt Lake City
    San Francisco
    Seattle
    Washington, D.C.

"Sprint's mobile broadband leadership is unmatched. Not only do we have the largest mobile broadband network, but with the upgraded EV-DO Revision A technology Sprint Power Vision will also be the fastest wireless broadband network in the country," said Kathy Walker, chief network officer for Sprint. "The power of Sprint's networks, especially with this EV-DO Revision A upgrade, allows Sprint to deliver a mobile broadband experience to our customers that no other carrier can provide."

The upgrade to EV-DO Revision A is expected to further drive Sprint's industry-leading wireless data average revenue per user as customers will be able to use the upgraded network to utilize applications such as all IP video telephony, high-performance push-to-talk (walkie-talkie service), multi-user video conferencing, real-time gaming and video streaming of both content and live web cams simultaneously as they become available.

EV-DO Revision A coverage in most markets will initially be concentrated in airports and business districts where wireless data demand is highest and will expand to include Sprint's entire market footprint. Overall, Sprint plans to reach more than 200 million people in the U.S. with mobile broadband data services (including both EV-DO Revisions 0 and A) in 220 major metropolitan areas across the country with its Power Vision network by the end of 2006.

http://www2.sprint.com/mr/news_dtl.do?id=13980

What do you know?? Rev A already out and Modesto, CA can't even get regular Power Vision.

Al
    Very cool ! I'm guessing this means even faster speed on my Sprint 700p in San Francisco area soon. I hope Sprint doesn't stick us with a higher monthly bill though.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
  3.    #3  
    Our Sprint 700p is not going to get any faster, but the data flow is going to be more consistent and less ups and downs bit rates. So it is still very beneficial.

Al
    Yahoo Finance Article:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/061024/20061024005805.html?.v=1

Excerpt:
    San Diego is the first of 21 markets where Sprint will roll out EV-DO Revision A this year with coverage expected to reach more than 40 million people. Sprint Power Vision users in these markets should experience significantly faster average upload speeds of 300-400 kbps (compared with 50-70 kbps of current EV-DO networks). Average download speeds should also increase to 450-800 kbps from 400-700 kbps. By 3Q 2007, Sprint's Power Vision network is expected to be completely upgraded to the faster EV-DO Revision A.

Based on the above excerpt, my impression is that we should get faster speed, if even only slightly faster. Yes/No ??
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    The radio in 700p/w/wx does not support EV-DO Rev A. Those who benefit are the ones who use a laptop EV-DO aircard that supports Rev A. However, there are reports that 700p/w/wx will still benefit from the Rev A rollout - but I'm not sure how.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    The radio in 700p/w/wx does not support EV-DO Rev A. Those who benefit are the ones who use a laptop EV-DO aircard that supports Rev A.
    There are two Rev A phones that Sprint is apparently testing at this moment. The rumored release dates is around January. One phone will be WM (PPC-6800) and the other a smartphone (5800).
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    There are two Rev A phones that Sprint is apparently testing at this moment. The rumored release dates is around January. One phone will be WM (PPC-6800) and the other a smartphone (5800).
    I believe the 5800 is the HTC Libra. Anyway, I have heard February for both devices.
    Just curious where you read the Feb date, most rumors so far have been speculating for Jan. But as far as the reliability of any rumor, it will probably come out Nov next year.