Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    My monthly Sprint bill (a 650 an a 700p both with unlimited data, sharing a 1500 minute plan which I NEVER go over).. should run the same every month, give or take maybe a few cents here and there because of the bajillion regulatory BS taxes and fees and surcharges added onto it (is there any human being who can actually understand a phone bill any more??)..

Anyway, my last bill ballooned to $50.00 higher than normal for no freakin' reason I could figure out and Sprint is one of the very few companies (you could count them on one hand) who I let auto-suck my monthly bill out of my bank account. So they did.

Then a couple days later I punched in star four to see what my charges were and it told me my November, 2006 bill would be, you guessed it, what the October bill SHOULD have been, about $50.00 less. Well I don't know about you but I smelled something rotten in Denmark with that and $50.00 ain't chump change, so I got on the horn with Sprint and said okay, what's the deal? Why was my October bill $50.00 higher than what your robot is telling my my November bill will be an what my September and August and July and June bills WERE!?..

I could hear the synapses opening and closing in the brain of the girl under the paper hat as she pulled up my bill and started going through it line item by line item, insisting I was billed correctly.

So I said honey, if I was billed correctly, and I didn't go over my minutes, and I didn't change, add, remove, modify or do anything to the services I'm paying you jokers for, why did I get four months in a row within a dollar or two of each other, then last month it balloons up fifty bucks, and next month it's back down to normal again. Explain that to me like I'm a nine year old (thank you to Denzel Washington for usng that line in "Philadelphia")..

She starts to get kind of huffy, puts me on hold, I listen to elevator music for a few minutes, she comes back on and says "I've just credited your November, 2006 bill with a fifty dollar credit."

No I'm sorry Sir. No we made a mistake. No hint or even tone of anything even remotely resembling a bucket of yak milk, much less an apology. Nothing. Just Ms. Droid in the box. Emotionless pod person. Where do they grow these people?

Anyway, watch your Sprint bill like a hawk. And if it suddenly balloons up one month for no good reason you can imagine and you didn't go over your minutes or change anything, pound star two and give'em Hell, Harry..

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    eh, dude, I know better. I check my bill EVERY month, line by line. It's not fun for 16 lines but I still do it. And if it's over by 2 cents, you bet I'll give them my 2 cents...
    Harv,

Thanks for sharing. Your story just proved another reason I hate "automatic billing." I still get bills (inc. Sprint) the old fashioned way (mail) and pay by check. Any discrepancy that comes up, I can always nip it in the bud.

Re: your response to the Sprint teller. Sometimes, you just gotta be mean just to get anywhere. Being nice doesn't always work. I'm just glad your story had a happy ending.
    You're not kidding re keeping tabs on Sprint. I hate that damn company. That said, I have my account autobilled as well--but to my American Express. You have FAR more protection that way, don't have to worry about sending out a check, racing to get a payment in because life happens, it fell off the fridge, or chance something getting lost in transit.

And if there's a problem, and you get any resistance whatsoever from Sprint, you get on the horn with Amex. Let the corporates duke it out. Amex credits your account immediately, and you never hear about it again. Plus, you get to rack up miles, which never hurts.

I would point out I spend a ton on my Amex each month (and accordingly have a fancy card with fancy service), but I imagine there are other CC providers out there that provide a similar level of service. Make sure that's the one you use.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    most providers are this way.
    Used to get my bills in a manilla envelope. When they got down to the size of something that would fit into a letter-sized wrapper, I figured it was time to downgrade the minutes, a tad.

Has anyone else heard: "We no longer have the code for..." Fill in the blank. As a result, and after three months of haggling, there's a little over 40 bucks a month, in credits, coming in each month. Will, still, be calling Sprint out, on charges for text messaging. Imagine that'll take another couple of months to straighten out, at least.

It's enough to make a feller long back for the days of the ol' green-screen SCH 3500 Samsung. Sure, we were guinea pigs. But, at least, they weren't trying to find new and interesting ways to charge for data services, on the spot, back then. Nosir. Back then, they were content to monitor, ah, inventive usage. They actually planned for future charges, instead of making 'em up as they went.

Get me started on cars with tailfins, some time. There's a whole 'nother hoot.
    "There is, absolutely, everything no one can do about it."
    I also auto bill my service to my Amex. But I am on Verizon not sprint. I will let you know from experience (I work for a CC company) about 90% of the time if you dispute a cell phone charge, the cell phone company shuts your service off. So I would encourage you to call the phone company first to try to resolve it before you call your card company. Now I also know that Amex will go to bat for you, but while you wait the 6-8 weeks for the results, you might not have any service.
    "We must all fear evil men, but there is an evil we must fear most. And that is the indifference of good men." -- The Boondock Saints.
    I read about these problems with every carrier. I have been with Sprint for 8 years and so far (knock on wood), I have had no problems at all and have always had excellent service from them. I must be an oddity! And I have made quite a few changes in plans, services, phones in the last year and was just waiting for something like this to happen - it never did.

Also - when I want to speak to someone at Sprint, I call the Sprint CS "red" line which pretty much always goes to Oklahoma (or at least the US) - not Asia or India. These numbers can be found at www.pcsintel.com
    Like bubbatex, I've been with Sprint for 8 years and never had any trouble until recently. Had a killer "grandfathered" plan of 2000 minutes with unlimited everything and everything shared among the lines for $85. Then came Power Vision.

As soon as I registered the first EVDO phone, the old plan was no longer available. It's taken monthly calls to get things straightened out. Had the activation fee waived only to see $18 of it come back two months later which got credited back. Then a mysterious $50.00 PCS Data charge showed up (on an unlimited data plan) and no, it wasn't DUN. That got credited back as well.

All in all, the CSRs have been friendly and helpful and my monthly bill has stayed about the same although it's now full of charges and credits to balance things out. You definitely need to watch the lines items every month and be extremely thorough when you make plan changes. Even then, expect a few months of phone calls to get things fixed.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    Harv,

Thanks for sharing. Your story just proved another reason I hate "automatic billing." I still get bills (inc. Sprint) the old fashioned way (mail) and pay by check. Any discrepancy that comes up, I can always nip it in the bud.

Re: your response to the Sprint teller. Sometimes, you just gotta be mean just to get anywhere. Being nice doesn't always work. I'm just glad your story had a happy ending.
    1) I get paper billed by Sprint too, but like I said, I let them auto-suck the monthly charge from my bank account. No longer have an AMEX card.

b) many of these CSRs simply don't grasp the concept of "I'm the customer. I pay your salary. I can take my business and my dollars to your compeition. Don't jerk me around. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck." I've been a consumer advocate kinda person for a very long time - learned it from my late Dad. He used to sit and type letters to companies when they screwed up (bad product, incorrect billing, you name it) and he got results. I remember once when I was a teenager in the 60s, he went shopping and bought some Campbell's soup. Something was wrong with a can of it. I can't remember what. He fired off a letter to them an a couple weeks later UPS delivered two full cases of free cans of soup and an apology letter to our door.

The rep I was talking to wasn't in Asia, India, or anywhere like that. She wasn't one of those Rajeevs who calls himself Kevin. (Apologies to anyone out there named Rajeev..) ..

I caught her / them in error, but I was persistant; I KNEW the bill was wrong, and that call wasn't going to end until I got satisfaction. She backed down and next month's bill will be $50.00 lower to make up for it. What grinds my gears is that she didn't even have the coutesy to admit THEY made a mistake and apologize for it. Sprint has 40 million customers. Remember "The President's Analyst" with James Coburn where the phone company ran the USA? Their motto was "We're the phone company. We don't have to care."

This is not a condemnation of every Sprint rep. Just this particular one. Some of them are knowledgeable, friendly, and even know how to tie their own shoes.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    harv - I am with you man - you deserved to be pi**ed! All she had to do was phrased it the right way - right?
    I get my bill digitally, but it isn't auto-paid. I can look it over on the monitor, and then when I'm satisfied I use online bill pay. This way I save trees but can still have a look at the bill before Sprint gets paid. Works for me.

So far 8 years with Sprint....no billing snafu's, but I did have to go to the mat with them to get a rebate once. OTOH they let me trade my Treo 300 in for a 600 when they first came out, and that's the phone I'm still using ($85/2000 min/2 lines/30% discount).
    Harv, I don't know where your post went, but it was a good one. I've heard enough horror stories about Sprint CS to know that my experience isn't typical. In fact the reason I haven't had any issues with Sprint CS is probably because I've never really needed to call them much. Regarding the "locked phone" comment, I recently got an e-mail discussing an ongoing class action lawsuit in California about just that issue. I didn't pay too much attention to it, but it seems that others feel the same way about it that you do.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
    Harv, I don't know where your post went, but it was a good one. I've heard enough horror stories about Sprint CS to know that my experience isn't typical. In fact the reason I haven't had any issues with Sprint CS is probably because I've never really needed to call them much. Regarding the "locked phone" comment, I recently got an e-mail discussing an ongoing class action lawsuit in California about just that issue. I didn't pay too much attention to it, but it seems that others feel the same way about it that you do.
    Hi

My post went into the bit bucket when I deleted it. I decided it was too long and rambling after I posted it and re-read it. Maybe I should have left it. I have had a rotten cold the past few days and when I'm sick I have little patience for companies that jerk me around and try to reach into my wallet and pull out more money than they're supposed to get. My car is at a dealer having a warranty repair job done and the service writer tried every song and dance you ever heard to try to tell me (the "***** customer who knows nothing about cars" which is how service writers look at all customers who come in for warranty work).. that the part in question "never breaks." This guy was a Rembrandt of this obnoxious technique. He knows my warranty only has a few days left on it and I'm convinced he was pulling this old trick to get me to go away, then the part would break after the warranty expired so I'd have to bring the car back and PAY him to do an expensive repair job that should have been done for free while the warranty was in effect.

I guess that's why they call them "stealerships."

Calif. at least has VERY strict laws that govern auto repair shops and dealers and I've used the words "State Attorney General" and "Bureau of Automotive Repairs" quite a few times in my life at these jokers to get them to do what the law requires them to do when they tried to weasel out of it.

It's almost exactly like when my first Treo 650 went bad and Lockline tried to weasel out of replacing it claiming the monthly replacement insurance fee didn't cover "electronic and mechanical failures" which is EXACTLY what it covers. You never heard a rep do a 180 so fast in your life when I got them on a three-way call with Sprint who told them in no uncertain terms "you WILL replace this customer's broken Treo." The Lockline dude's line immediately changed from "it's not covered" to "do you want the replacement shippped UPS ground for free or overnight for $15.00?"

All of this just tells me there's some bossman somewhere telling these lower level reps to flimflam the customer any way they can and milk as much money out of them as they possibly can. Meanwhile we, the trusting innocent consumers, pay for these extra or extended warranties and service plans specifically so we have some peace of mind, then when it comes time to actually USE them, we get this kind of treatment. I can only imagine how many people turn into sheeple and let themselves get walked all over and don't fight back and don't know their legal rights

Harv