1.    #1  
    The ear speaker in my Sprint Treo 650 is dying. A few days ago the sound suddenly became very distorted. I took it into my local Sprint store Saturday morning and, except for having to wait w-a-a-a-y too long, couldn't be much happier with the outcome.

I have the full insurance / customer protection plan. Not only did Sprint agree to replace my phone with no battle, they're replacing it with a new 700P. Unfortunately, they have none in stock, so I have to wait until the middle of the week to get it. But I can revert to my old 600 for a few days.

Woohoo, a free 700P! Way to go, Sprint!
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Cool...I love to see people get the hook up. You didn't opt for the 700WX?
    at&t iPhone3G
    That is good to hear...all to often we hear the "sprint cs sucks" line. (Hey...wait a minute..that's what I usually say ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Cool...I love to see people get the hook up. You didn't opt for the 700WX?
    Windoze? Not a chance. I like windows on my desktop fine. I think it's horribly inefficient on a handheld. Harder to figure out, and harder to use once you do figure it out (and yes, I've used it in the past). Even with all it's limitations, and creaking old age, P-OS is still superior to WINCE as a handheld OS.
    Bob Meyer
    Wow congratz, how old was your treo? I'm having issues with my 650, according to sprint I'm in a excellent to Good signal zone, but I drop calls like crazy.....so I'm mentally preparing myself for a battle...........any ideas? My phone is over a year old, and i have whatever the insurance is, did you have to pay any deductable?
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Windoze? Not a chance. I like windows on my desktop fine. I think it's horribly inefficient on a handheld. Harder to figure out, and harder to use once you do figure it out (and yes, I've used it in the past). Even with all it's limitations, and creaking old age, P-OS is still superior to WINCE as a handheld OS.

I couldn't have said it any better...and just because you don't want to deal with the hassle of WM doesn't mean you aren't a geek...just means you want to be an efficient geek. I too like windows when it comes to my desktop or notebook, but I love POS when it comes to my device and I am praying POS is just hybernating. I will convert only if force to by the death of POS.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Cool! Though one thing you should consider: Since you're getting the T700, it's technically a new device and you may have to wait another 2 years to get any cool deals/discounts from Sprint. (It used to be every 18 months.)

Also, if you're currently month-to-month with Sprint, you may want to keep your exsisting plan as is. Cause if you're month to month, the ball is in your court and have more leverage that way.

On my end, I'm month-month w/Sprint (my original 2-year plan/contract ended over a year ago) and it won't be 'till May 2007 (two years with the T650 by then) till I qualify for any discounts off a new Treo. I'm gonna hang on my to my T650 for as long as I can. I banking on a revamped Palm OS Treo (please no more Franken Garnet!) if I can just hold on for the next 12-18 months...
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The ear speaker in my Sprint Treo 650 is dying. A few days ago the sound suddenly became very distorted. I took it into my local Sprint store Saturday morning and, except for having to wait w-a-a-a-y too long, couldn't be much happier with the outcome.

I have the full insurance / customer protection plan. Not only did Sprint agree to replace my phone with no battle, they're replacing it with a new 700P. Unfortunately, they have none in stock, so I have to wait until the middle of the week to get it. But I can revert to my old 600 for a few days.

Woohoo, a free 700P! Way to go, Sprint!

Don't give them too much credit. Wouldn't be surprised if the rep figured it was basically the same phone because they look the same. You will also find that you will have to go to an EVDO plan which will cost you more. They will likely strip instant messaging from your data service. Overall you can expect your bill to be at least $10-20 higher. You will have faster data service however. Back to the party. Its still a good deal if you wanted to go that route anyway.
  9.    #9  
    To answer several questions and comments:

My 650 was one of the early models. Got it with the discount coupon they gave out at the Treo road show when the 650 was introduced. The receipt they gave me for phone pickup just shows $0, so I don't think I'm paying a deductible. The $50 deductible only applies for lost or damaged phones. Can't remember if there's supposed to be a deductible for equipment malfuctions.

I dont' think getting the 700 will affect my contract duration. This should be handled as an insurance replacement. They certainly didn't say anything about my contract--I guess I'll see tomorrow.

If the rep tries to change my plan I'm going to tell him "no, just do an ESN swap." If he won't do that, I'll tell him to just give me the phone unactivated, then I'll call Sprint and do an ESN swap. I don't care about the extra power vision services (TV on a 2 inch screen? What's the point of that? [MHO]), and don't have messaging on my current plan anyway (I'm an old fart, what can I say.)
    Bob Meyer
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ View Post
    Don't give them too much credit. Wouldn't be surprised if the rep figured it was basically the same phone because they look the same. You will also find that you will have to go to an EVDO plan which will cost you more. They will likely strip instant messaging from your data service. Overall you can expect your bill to be at least $10-20 higher. You will have faster data service however. Back to the party. Its still a good deal if you wanted to go that route anyway.
    I was upgraded from my 650 to the 700p about 6 weeks ago. My 650 wouldnt stay powered on, and after a diagnosis, the guy said he would have to replace it. But since they didnt have any 650's in stock, he told me I had to go to the 700p, as I was playing with the 700wx. When it came to switch the ESN's, they didnt give me the option of keeping my old data plan ($15 PictureMail Vision, $5 unlimited texts) I got the $20 PowerVision and $15 Unlimited Texts, although my voice plan was unaltered. I was disappointed but wanted the few channels offered by the new PowerVision (along with the unlimited pic mail, video mail, and EV-DO) and I had to have the unlimited text option, as I send and receive over 3200 SMS's per month. It shot my bill up $15 before fees and taxes, but I recently downgraded my voice plan to compensate now that 7pm is included and I dont need that many minutes anymore. I am still losing more money, but gaining more service at the same time!