1.    #1  
    http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/...ing-206501.php

Looks tempting ... I have another year to run on my contract.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    At first I thought this was great but then I continued to read. IF you make a payment after the effective date you have apparently accepted thenew terms, regardless how much time has passed up to 30 days of the change. My billing cycle begins on the 5th of the month so, effectively I have accepted the new terms even though I just became aware of them.

In retrospect, it makes me want to change my billing date to the end of the month, since most changes will be effective on the 1st of the month. Currently I am screwed:-(

Thanks for the heads-up. Now I have a reason to be ticked off;-)

gottago...
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/...ing-206501.php

Looks tempting ... I have another year to run on my contract.
    Can you cancel a contract and then continue with you current term on a month-to-month basis? Essentially meaning you could opt out anytime wo the fee?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle View Post
    Can you cancel a contract and then continue with you current term on a month-to-month basis? Essentially meaning you could opt out anytime wo the fee?
    Sprint plays all kinds of games with their plans. When I got my 650 in early 2005, I had one phone on a Sprint plan - a Motorola TimePort. I switched my number to the 650 and was on a month to month, no contract plan.

Then this past June, I got the 700p and wanted to add it to my plan. (Joe Consumer might not need two Treos sharing minutes on the same plan, but in my capacity as someone who writes about these things, I need both a 650 (which a LOT of people use)and the newer 700p to test and review software and accessories on.. they are differenent enough that software and accessories don't work the same with both, and don't fit both, like cases.. but I digress..).. They said "you can't be month to month anymore, you have to switch to a "family and friends" plan with a two year contract and share your minutes between the phones. Also you can't have an 1100 minute plan anymore with two phones - you either have to go up to 1500 minutes or go down to 800 minutes. We don't have a two-phone-sharing-minutes plan with 1100 minutes. I said yes, I want to share the minutes but why are you forcing me into a two year contract with a huge bail-out fee when I had month to month with no contract before?

Every rep I talked to gave me a different reason / excuse / song and dance.

I have a contact pretty high up at Sprint who's an "Executive analyst" and I ran all this past her. She said you have to have the two year contract if you have two phones sharing minutes on the same plan but I'll wipe out the bail-out fee for you, so that if you ever decide to cancel you won't have to pay it.

In my dealings with Sprint over the years, especially since their merger with Nextel, their plans have become more obfuscated, convoluted, complicated, even their own reps can't even agree from one to the next what any given plan's charges are for x minutes a month with x add-ons.

Most companies with forty million customers (which is how many she told me Sprint has..) .. and thousands of employees seem headed in this direction. You can talk to ten different reps and get ten different answers to the same question and every one of them will tell you the other nine you talked to was wrong.

They're all supposed to read "out of the same book." The sad reality is that they don't. They don't all have the same level of knowledge, they don't all know the ins and outs of their ridiculously labyrinthine plan program, and the only way to get satisfaction sometimes is to be persistant, don't be a sheeple, and just to go way over their heads to the top dogs who actually know what's what. One of the "paper hat" type CS reps, the lowest level, told me "this can't be done." The Executive analyst went into my account, pushed the proverbial button and blammo, the change was made. The change the low level rep said couldn't be done.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 10/11/2006 at 08:58 PM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    It is extremely possible that the 'paper hat' didn't have access/capability to do what you wanted. Just a thought...

gottago...
    I am soooooooo out with Sprint. Hello Cingular and the new Treo!
    If you understand, things are just as they are. If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

sooo, am i understanding this right? because of this "change in policy" i should call Sprint and request to get out of my contract. And doing this will turn me into a month to month customer??

thanks for helping me understand.
    cheers!
    --A.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    It is extremely possible that the 'paper hat' didn't have access/capability to do what you wanted. Just a thought...

gottago...
    The Executive analyst blamed it on the buyout of Nextel and bringing in hoardes of Nextel people who were not trained well enough to understand Sprint's gaggle of plans. This is why different CS reps give different answers to the same questions according to her. Ultimately, who knows, but since she's so high up the corporate food chain I'd tend to believe what she told me.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    article states that this only applies to without a text plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theory13 View Post
    sooo, am i understanding this right? because of this "change in policy" i should call Sprint and request to get out of my contract. And doing this will turn me into a month to month customer??

thanks for helping me understand.
    cheers!
    --A.
    That's what I was trying to ask....anyone??
    no going month to month. Once you cancel it's done, the line is kaput. I did it this morning took 10 min on hold and about a minute with the rep. Only works on lines with no text pkg. They offered me 500 a month free but I declined and canceled anyway as I dont need that line any more. Was a Godsend that it happened when it did too.

My line was dead two minutes after we got off the phone. If youre wanting to port you need to have them note it and then begin the port process with other carrier asap, within the current bill cycle.

I killed the one line with this out and signed up for a new line through Sprintnetwork on ebay and got me a 700wx for $.99. Ya that says cents. Pretty darn cool.

I will be returning to land of treo after not having one for about 6 months. whoopee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    no going month to month. Once you cancel it's done, the line is kaput.
    thanks Woof.
    very clear now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    no going month to month. Once you cancel it's done, the line is kaput. I did it this morning took 10 min on hold and about a minute with the rep. Only works on lines with no text pkg. They offered me 500 a month free but I declined and canceled anyway as I dont need that line any more. Was a Godsend that it happened when it did too.

My line was dead two minutes after we got off the phone. If youre wanting to port you need to have them note it and then begin the port process with other carrier asap, within the current bill cycle.

I killed the one line with this out and signed up for a new line through Sprintnetwork on ebay and got me a 700wx for $.99. Ya that says cents. Pretty darn cool.

I will be returning to land of treo after not having one for about 6 months. whoopee.
    So if I cancel my service with sprint due to above mentioned contract thing, Can I come back with sprint? Wont they check my credit in their system and will tell me that I opt out of my contract? Also is SERO plan still in effect? Can I still get the plan if I cancel and come back with sprint?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    legally canceling your plan will not adversely affect your credit score.
    I got 500 free text messages/mo. by calling and inquiring about cancelling due to this price increase.
    I added 500 free to each of the three lines on my account which didn't have a text plan already. Just asked.