Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I truthfully don't know a whole lot about WiMax other than in general terms, but it does sound VERY interesting!

Sprint WiMaxes out

Will WiMax help? Sprint says its new network could reach 100 million people in the United States by the end of 2008. WiMax connections could reach speeds of 2 to 4 megabits per second, similar to a cable-modem Internet connection. Unlike cable-modem connections, WiMax networks would cover big areas, like cell-phone networks do today, allowing Internet usage on the go.
    And WiMax can do the job at a fraction of the cost of upgrading Sprint's current network to similar speeds, according to Raghu Rau, a senior vice president at Motorola (Charts), which will be supplying Sprint with WiMax networking equipment.

WiMax's big advantage, says Rau, is "spectral efficiency." What he means by that is that WiMax can pack more data into a given amount of radio spectrum, a scarce resource carriers have paid billions of dollars to acquire.

Rau also says that WiMax networks will support "multiple applications on multiple devices" - in other words, it won't just let you make voice calls on your cell phone; it will also let you hook your laptop up to the Net and download songs on your MP3 player, and that's just for starters.

But analysts say that it's the cost, not whizzy features, that makes WiMax attractive to carriers like Sprint.

"As far as what WiMax is capable of, that's debatable," says Philip Solis, a senior analyst at ABI Research. "Though there does seem to be a slight edge to WiMax, it's not really the technical capabilities that caused Sprint to choose WiMax. It's the economics."

So how will WiMax solve the customer-satisfaction problem that led to Lauer leaving Sprint? Sprint says it's not planning to abandon its current network for WiMax. Instead, it will run the two side by side.

Here's a plan that could help Sprint make the most of WiMax. Sprint should move heavy data users to WiMax, making it the preferred network for laptops and other gadgets. They'll get faster connections, while freeing up capacity for voice calls on Sprint's current network, leading to fewer dropped calls and better signals.

FULL STORY: http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/20...htm&frame=true
    Groovy.
    Nice update on Sprint and WiMax. Thanks Hobbes!
    Hopefully sprint can knock one out of the ballkark with this one. Even though I find this a good idea, they do need to invest in the expansion of their network as far as coverage goes also.
    at&t iPhone3G
    WiMAX in a phone is still far from a given. KT Freetel and SK Telecom in South Korea already have networks up but Samsung hasn't been able to deal with heat problems well enough to get phone handsets on the network.

WiMAX may be more suitable for data cards. It will probably be some improvement over their current Mobile Broadband speeds. It may not be quite the dramatic improvement they tout in that article (2-4 Mbps).

I agree that a better route for Sprint would be working on getting a better network up for voice. I am a long time Sprint wireless customer and my phone works great in the Los Angeles area, but I do notice that Verizon generally has a better network.
    Why can't they just deploy EVDO to all their network first and then worry about WiMax. I'm still waiting for EVDO >(
  7.    #7  
    They still are continuing their planned rollout for EVDO. My higher up contact at Sprint said that this initial roll out with EVDO will cover around 80% of the US. Unless live in the boonies or in an area with only 3 vision plans, you should have it as soon as by the end of the year.....but of course this is a stereo typical answer as I do not have roll plan locations and dates. There are some remaining that will fall into next year.

But one of the main purposes for the current EVDO rollout is not just for customer access for the current rev of EVDO, but to establish the base for the REV A rollout, which was the main goal to begin with.
  8.    #8  
    Nokia marks WiMAX milestone with Nokia Flexi WiMAX Base Station
    Nokia today announced the Nokia Flexi WiMAX Base Station, an innovation that will revolutionize the way broadband wireless networks will be built while minimizing operating and capital expenditures for broadband wireless operators. The introduction of the Nokia Flexi WiMAX Base Station shows Nokia's engagement in mobile WiMAX and is rooted in the company's global expertise in wireless network deployments.

FULL PRESS RELEASE: http://press.nokia.com/PR/200610/1080626_5.html
    Nokia Announces WiMAX Support, Phones in '08
    Friday, 13 October 2006
    Nokia this week announced that they plan to offer WiMAX phones in their portfolio, beginning in 2008. The world's most popular handset manufacturer did not provide details as to who they plan to partner with to offer such handsets. Sprint is the only national carrier in the United States to commit to offering WiMAX, which they plan to offer in 2008 as well.

Sprint has only announced network partners, of which include Motorola, Samsung and Intel. This indicates that Sprint will pass on Nokia hardware, but still clearly leaves Nokia as a handset vendor.

Nokia did state that they will be offering WiMAX base stations and handsets on both European and American frequencies; 3.5 GHz and 2.5 GHz respectively.

http://www.pcsintel.com/content/view/1557/9/
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    Thanks for the update.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    groovy indeed.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Any WiMAX users in here ?
    WiMAX: Guide
  12.    #13  
    Here is the latest update for WiMax...umh XOHM...

.......this thread will soon show it's age as it way too late to rename it!
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    Here is the latest update for WiMax...umh XOHM...

.......this thread will soon show it's age as it way too late to rename it!
    I would love to see something on when our market will be rolled out...

CLICK HERE

I tried ClearWire's (www.clearwire.com) WiMax service. I think Sprint and Clearwire now have a business relationship.

I live less than 1/2 mile from a ClearWire transmission point (Richmond, VA) and cannot get a signal that is strong enough to work. One cannot say that I am just did not know what I was doing, as the ClearWire tech could not get a signal at all; at least I could get a partial signal. Both the Customer Service and the onsite technician told me I was too close to the transmission point and the signal is traveling over the house.

My house is of the 2-story variety. I even tried to get a signal in the attic and could not.

So far, I am not impressed with WiMax.

Bob
  15.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Bo View Post
    I would love to see something on when our market will be rolled out...
    Portland was in the first half of the EVDO rollout so I am hoping for the same thing!!!!
  16.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by remilk View Post
    I tried ClearWire's (www.clearwire.com) WiMax service. I think Sprint and Clearwire now have a business relationship.

I live less than 1/2 mile from a ClearWire transmission point (Richmond, VA) and cannot get a signal that is strong enough to work. One cannot say that I am just did not know what I was doing, as the ClearWire tech could not get a signal at all; at least I could get a partial signal. Both the Customer Service and the onsite technician told me I was too close to the transmission point and the signal is traveling over the house.

My house is of the 2-story variety. I even tried to get a signal in the attic and could not.

So far, I am not impressed with WiMax.

Bob
    Well here's to hoping by the end of 2008 they have it worked out.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    Well here's to hoping by the end of 2008 they have it worked out.
    *keepsfingerscrossed*
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    this would be a huge boost for sprint; however... will Ruim cards work with this?

As much as this sounds like an amazing thing, I personally would much rather see them bring Ruim technology to the states. If the sero plan didn't keep me coming back to Sprint, I would have probably switched to GSM by now.
  19.    #20  
    I am with you. Click on the link in my sig to read more about unlocking the CDMA network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast