1.    #1  
    Greetings,

I'm a Sprint 650 user and have a business trip coming up soon where I will spend a week in the UK and then a week in India (Bangalore and Hyderabad).

Is there a way to have my Sprint numbers follow me on my travels? I remember about 10 years ago when I was with AT&T they actually loaned me a GSM phone for a Europe trip and it was totally seamless. Does Sprint have something similar or is there a better option? I only care about solving the problem for this one trip, not something more permanent right now.

Cheers.
    Last edited by redhat; 09/04/2006 at 11:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    buy a cheap gsm phone on ebay- purchase overseas sim cards here- forward your sprint number to the sim card numbers
    Quote Originally Posted by redhat View Post
    Greetings,

I'm a Sprint 650 user and have a business trip coming up soon where I will spend a week in the UK and then a week in India (Bangalore and Hyderabad).

Is there a way to have my Sprint numbers follow me on my travels? I remember about 10 years ago when I was with AT&T they actually loaned me a GSM phone for a Europe trip and it was totally seamless. Does Sprint have something similar or is there a better option? I only care about solving the problem for this one trip, not something more permanent right now.

Cheers.
    I'd be more worried about getting my shots. They have phones there. Our entire nations help desk is there.
    If you are going to be doing this on a regular basis, you could consider buying a prepaid sim card. The advantage is that you'll have the same phone number everywhere you go as long as you keep the account current. Check out Telestial.com as their rates were competitive last time I did a thorough comparison. I don't have any affiliation with them, but that's what I use for my 4-5 trips out of the US every year (along with an unlocked Mot Razr).

I'm not sure you want to forward your Sprint phone due to the cost. In addition, I thought you couldn't forward it to an international number. You can always leave your travel # on the vmail.
    About two years ago, I had this same issue as well with my treo 300. Sprint has an international roaming part of their website that tells you what to do.

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ue...ationalRoaming

I found a cheap gsm phone that worked in the UK (a little samsung phone from t-mobile that was unlocked) and in the US. Sprint mailed a SIM card to me and I put in the back of the cheap phone.

I turned the treo off when I was leaving and turned the cheap phone on in Europe. My number followed me everywhere but at a price. People who wanted to call me just dialed my number regularly and my phone rang in Europe. I could not text message or browse the web, just phone calls.
    jwclements1 - thanks for the post. That's pretty interesting and something I'm going to try on my next trip.
    Greetings,

Cheers.
    Sprint will provide you with a GSM SIM that is associated with your Sprint Account. You will be able to make calls charged to your Sprint account and answer calls to your Sprint number. The Sprint roaming agreements are not comparable to those of GSM carriers so you will pay a premium for both calls made and received. One cannot use the directory in one's Sprint phone but one can use one's Sprint Voice Command directory

GSM phones are cheap and can be rented in most airports. However, the battery life on many of these phones is not what Treo users are accustomed to.

GSM has over 2B users world-wide and more than 80% of the mobile market. Part of the advantage is that one dials the same wherever one is.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to start by calling Sprint today to find out how to get the sim card from them. I would prefer to have my normal phone number ring overseas even if that costs extra because of the convenience for my US clients and others. Am I right in assuming that all sim cards are created equal so I can just pick up any phone that supports them?

I'm not worried about the other Treo "features" like my e-mail or text messages - I'll have a computer with me. I'm just worried about all the phone calls from from people I can't or don't want to notify about my trip.
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to start by calling Sprint today to find out how to get the sim card from them. I would prefer to have my normal phone number ring overseas even if that costs extra because of the convenience for my US clients and others. Am I right in assuming that all sim cards are created equal so I can just pick up any phone that supports them?

I'm not worried about the other Treo "features" like my e-mail or text messages - I'll have a computer with me. I'm just worried about all the phone calls from from people I can't or don't want to notify about my trip.
    The Sprint SIM is "equal; not all phones are. Carriers offer "locked" phones at a discount. Not all phones support all frequencies; one that works in Europe may not work in Asia. When you buy one, be sure that the dealer understands that you want a "world" phone that supports all four frequencies. Surprisingly, one does not usually have to pay a premium for these.

Visit http://www.gsmworld.com/index.shtml
    Greetings,

Cheers.
    rent a GSM phone at blore or hyd airports..both have great deals...calls at .10 c per minute. phone rental is about $4 a day.