Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Do you regret having it? Is the price worth the prize? What can u do w/ the data plan that you can't do w/ 'dialup'? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. Thanks for your input.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    PruSucks: Please define what 'dialup' means? In particular what do you want to accomplish with your phone? Tethering your Treo to a PC/laptop so that you can surf the web on your PC/laptop? Streaming multi-media content in your Treo?

I do have the VZW unlimited data plan and I have no complaints. I use a few hundred MB's a month so the unlimited plan is the way to go for me.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I love my service. It should be a bit cheaper...but It is the best cellular service around my area. It suits my needs fine. Blows Cingular out of the water.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    as i sat beside a cooker at the Wyoming State BBQ competition in Worland, WY watching a fire to make sure my meat came just right and was able to stream my Houston Astros game to my phone for an extra inning game last weekend, i knew the data plan was worth it.

true it is expensive, but the coverage and convenience are worth it if you're not going to starve to death for that particular luxury.
    "Never Put off until tomorrow
    what you can do the day after tomorrow"
    --Mark Twain

PalmIII => Sony Clie' => Dell Axim X30 => Treo 650 and loving it
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Truoc, how was the setup proccess?
    It truly depends on how many mbs you are going to use. I signed up for the 20mb plan for $25 and that is enough for my needs.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstudboy1 View Post
    I signed up for the 20mb plan for $25 and that is enough for my needs.
    I believe the $25 plan now covers 10Mb only. You're on an old plan that is no longer being offerred.
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    It seems to work well, though you should understand that "unlimited" is a marketing term. If you get to 10GB in a month, you'll be getting a call from Verizon's data services and likely terminated. It's an absurdly high amount if you're just browsing via the phone, but this constraint exists for tethering as well. Doh!

I have absolutely no idea how they can get away with that kind of bait and switch, but they do. Sprint is supposedly much more lenient about heavy use.
    Quote Originally Posted by belanger View Post
    It seems to work well, though you should understand that "unlimited" is a marketing term. If you get to 10GB in a month, you'll be getting a call from Verizon's data services and likely terminated. It's an absurdly high amount if you're just browsing via the phone, but this constraint exists for tethering as well. Doh!

I have absolutely no idea how they can get away with that kind of bait and switch, but they do. Sprint is supposedly much more lenient about heavy use.
    What utter malarky- I've used in excess of 100 MB each month and have received no such call. Verizon-bashing seems to be a popular pasttime on this board. For me, yes, it's very expensive, but it offers coverage in places no other provider can.
    100MB=1/10 of 1 GB
    100mb=1/100 of 10GB
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolasmor View Post
    100MB=1/10 of 1 GB
    100mb=1/100 of 10GB
    Oops... I go back to Reading 101. Got my gigs and megs confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister View Post
    What utter malarky- I've used in excess of 100 MB each month and have received no such call. Verizon-bashing seems to be a popular pasttime on this board. For me, yes, it's very expensive, but it offers coverage in places no other provider can.
    LOL...

1) I said 10G. Where you got 100M from that is beyond me. Your 100M is less than a hundreth of the limit I stated.

2) If pointing out the fact that a huge company is misrepresenting what they're selling is "bashing," then I'm guilty as charged. I guess the real question is why do you care so much?

Definitions of "Unlimited"
    Oxford American Dictionary: Not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.
    Verizon Marketing: Limited.

I'm thrilled you like using Verizon. I just switched to them from Sprint, so obviously that limit wasn't enough of a barrier to prevent me from joining. I hope you'll see that my comment was in no way a criticism of your cellular lifestyle choice...

-MB
    I have a T650 right now on Sprint and use PDANet to tether when my primary ISP is down. With Sprint, my "unlimited" data (aka Vision) is $15/month but its not EVDO (due to the T650, if I bought a T700 it would be EVDO at no additional charge but I have to pay full price for a T700 or work a deal through customer retenion).

I am considering making the switch to Verizon, all of my friends are on Verizon and being on the same carrier as them would save a lot of minutes and the EVDO data connection would be wonderful (and of course upgrading to a cheap 700p would be great). The plan I am considering is the Core Choice 450 (450 anytime, unlimited data, unlimited nights/weekends, unlimited "in") for $80. But that's pretty much what I have now with Sprint for $50. So, its $30 more a month. My wireless internet ISP is $25 a month, so if I can use the Verizon "unlimited data" and tether my Treo to my laptop, I could cancell my ISP and just about break even. The concern I have is that the "unlimited" data isnt really unlimited. True? Anyone?
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duandcc View Post
    ... so if I can use the Verizon "unlimited data" and tether my Treo to my laptop, I could cancell my ISP and just about break even. The concern I have is that the "unlimited" data isnt really unlimited. True? Anyone?
    There are posts in other forums (e.g. evdoforums.com) complaining about being terminated from Verizon's unlimited data plan for extraordinary usage. However, I haven't found one who's terminated because he/she uses the plan on a Treo as they're all using the plan on an EV-DO wireless card on their laptops. So you can make the decision on your own.

I personally would not recommend you to ditch your home ISP though. Though you can receive phone calls even when you're actively using the data connection, the data connection is suspended while you're talking on the voice call. So you cannot use any web-dependent apps on your home PC/laptop until you're done with your phone call.

Good luck in your decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by duandcc View Post
    The concern I have is that the "unlimited" data isnt really unlimited. True? Anyone?
    I evaluated cell phone plans for my company. I had a Verizon business sales rep in my office and told him we wanted a plan with everyone packing 700p phones and using tethering. He warned me that with tethering, "unlimited" really meant about 10G and there were restrictions, for example steaming video and the like.

Others swear this is not the case, but I find it surprising that a sales guy would be telling me something that could easily lose him the deal. I don't know... Perhaps he was an *****, but I doubt it.

Regardless, if this is important to you, you shouldn't listen to anyone on this board and instead call Verizon and get the info firsthand.

Good luck,
    -MB
    Well, according to Verizon's TOS:

Unlimited PDA/Smartphone and BlackBerryr Plans: These VZEmail plans cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device’s native applications & capabilities permit unless you subscribe to the Tethering Feature; (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops, personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or BlackBerry Solutions, unless you subscribe to the Tethering Feature; (3) for uploading, downloading or streaming of movies, music or games unless offered through Get It Now or V CAST; (4) with server devices or with host computer applications, including without limitation, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, telemetry applications, automated functions or any other machine-to-machine application; or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, and/or (5) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections.
    So whereas companies like Sprint actually give you their version of MobiTV included in their data package, Verizon's TOS don't allow you to use programs like MobiTV or streaming Shoutcast through Pocket Tunes.

Just one more (to add to crippled bluetooth and a standardized UI on most of their phones) way that Verizon is becoming increasingly unfriendly to users.

I'm very happy with Verizons coverage and call quality. And am even willing to pay a premium for it. But the increasing hinderances have me seriously considering taking a tradeoff in coverage for a carrier that respects it's customers a little more.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    i stream music and my Astros games all the time i've never broken 200MB in a month. if i have a 10GB / month limit i don't know that i'll ever get close to that. but i do have my comcast at home which blows away my download speeds of my phone. even if i had EVDO i don't think it would be as fast as my fiber connection. but like i said it's nice to have my Astros no matter where i am...especially this week when they're in a playoff race..finally.
    --Mark Twain

Where do you pick up the Astros? I've really been looking for Aggie Football streaming audio, but no luck with anything that Pocket Tunes/TCPMP can handle.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I'd say Verizon is worth every penny of the $75 a month they get from me, mostly because they're the only provider that gets me a signal inside the building I work in (a large hospital complex). T-mobile couldn't even get me 1 bar at home (in a wooden house!), let alone at work. Cingular and sprint also have no coverage in the building and its vicinity. I guess we're just in a black hole for cellular service.

Having sadi that, if sprint or any of the other carriers get their act together and give us a tower next to the building, I'll be looking to downsize my monthly bill by switching to them.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    i have a custom shoutcast stream setup. I use PocketVNC to remote into my cojputer at home, turn on the game, turn on the shoutcast broadcasting server (it's set with a cable hard wired from my speakers to the Line-in port on my computer so whatever is playing is on my stream) then i just connect to the stream using pocket tunes. oh for that i had to pay for a gameday audio subscription from MLB.com
    --Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast