1.    #1  
    I bought a 700p today (woo!) and, as a member here for the past few weeks while deciding whether to get it or not, I already knew about the PhoneLib hack for BT tethering (via Mac OS X in my case). So, I installed it, used OS X's Internet Connect app to connnect by dialing #777 with my Vision username (and the wrong password, which apparently works and did in my case) and accessed the web for a few minutes. It worked great.

However, I just logged onto Sprint.com's online account site and saw that I have been charged for "CASUAL USE PCS WIRELESS WEB MINUTES", 3 of them, in fact. What the heck? I thought Wireless Web wasn't even accessible through a Treo! Is this Sprint's way of charging me for using DUN? Maybe I didn't install the PhoneLib hack right... but I wouldn't be able to connect at all if that were the case, right?

Someone please help me, I'd rather not be paranoid about my usage...

edit: For all I know, my DUN usage and this weird invoice thing aren't related, it's just that the time I spent tethered was about 3 minutes as well.
    Last edited by abstraxion; 07/06/2006 at 02:24 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Check out the response I received... APPARENTLY THEY CAN TELL!

Thank you for contacting Sprint together with Nextel. I will be happy
    to assist you regarding the wireless web minutes.

Yes, you are correct that the plan has $15.00 Power Vision pack. This
    plan include unlimited web access(Internet access) on the PCS phone
    only.

If you access the Internet on the computer by using phone as modem then
    the account will be charged at the default rate of $0.39/minute.

The Casual wireless web minutes is charged when you use your phone as a
    modem.

Thank you for emailing us. We appreciate your relationship with us, and
    look forward to serving you in the future.

Sarrah
    E-Care
    Sprint together with Nextel
    "Where our customers come first!"
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Is it possible the hack wasn't installed properly?
    I haven't installed the hack yet, but I don't recall anyone else having this issue.
    Perhaps this is something new?
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    If you use the Connection Manager along with hack, I'd think they could track. Need to use the #777 method with the hack.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  5.    #5  
    UPDATE:

I did use the #777 thing with my Mac and it did still charge me (that's what I did initially, too.) However, I tried USB Modem, and... no apparent charges. However, I also did NOT enter in my Vision ID or password, and I did enter my Vision ID with the PhoneLib hack via BT. I'm not sure what is the cause of it, but I guess I'm stuck with USB Modem for now.
  6.    #6  
    Another update:

Just tried connecting via BT with the PhoneLib hack without entering a username or password, and no charges have come through on Sprint.com. I think this is probably the "fix".
    if I'm not misteken, wireless web is the same as you use your Treo to dial your ISP and its like $ 0.39 / minute. It happen to me once, when I first got my treo and tried to play with my MAC and BT DUN, well I dial a wrong number and dial #7777 and was connected for a minute or two. Next couple of week I try with some random username or psswd apparently it let me connect but charged me $ 0.39/min (btw I had the hack installed) so this is what I can tell .... don't put anything on username and psswd field just leave them empty and make sure you dial #777 and no other # and you should be fine.
  8.    #8  
    Am I correct in assuming that it is impossible to use your Treo as a modem OUT OF THE BOX (without any hacks or extra sotware and no PAM)? As in, if you get a connection at all out of your Treo with your computer you have installed the hack correctly?
    Quote Originally Posted by abstraxion
    Am I correct in assuming that it is impossible to use your Treo as a modem OUT OF THE BOX (without any hacks or extra sotware and no PAM)? As in, if you get a connection at all out of your Treo with your computer you have installed the hack correctly?
    That is my understanding from reading the hack thread. If the hack wasn't installed properly and you did not have PAM, you would not be able to connect.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yuyjust
    if I'm not misteken, wireless web is the same as you use your Treo to dial your ISP and its like $ 0.39 / minute. It happen to me once, when I first got my treo and tried to play with my MAC and BT DUN, well I dial a wrong number and dial #7777 and was connected for a minute or two. Next couple of week I try with some random username or psswd apparently it let me connect but charged me $ 0.39/min (btw I had the hack installed) so this is what I can tell .
    The $0.39/minute charge is for making any kind of phone call from a device through the treo. DUN is charged at a casual rate of $0.02/Kb and not a per minute charge.

I had a friend with a Zire72 and wanted to try the internet on it, so i paired it to my treo and let her go to town. Next thing i see is she is using her z72 to make a phone call through my treo. I didn't see any charges on my bill for the DUN, but for the 4 or 5 one min phone calls she was making, i got charged $0.39 / min.
  11.    #11  
    If that's true, then, why was I able to dial #777, transfer data, but I was still charged 39 cents a minute?