Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, everyone! I'm super new here. (since yesterday) But I did read the newbie threads, the "search first" posts. But I think this question is too specific to me to find other threads on it and I've already been all over CDMA-US so... my question:

Well, my boyfriend and I (my idea first! ) got it into our heads that we wanted Treos. The phone that does it all!

His 2 year discount thing isn't until Spring 2007 so what he did was get a 650 off of ebay and had it activated at Sprint. All is well with him. My 2 year discount is in August. I've been wanting a new phone since beginning of the year!

So... because of the insane amount of Treo/sprint knowledge in here I'm asking for you help. I want the 700p.

Do I wait it out until August... get $150 off only, sign another 2 year contract at that point and be done with it? OR... can I get my phone now? Can I call and say look... "I don't want to wait...give it to me now and give me a better price" And would that work? I'm really a pushover and hate being mean on the phone so how could I handle this nicely? I've read some threads on here "Call and threaten to cancel" "no don't threaten to cancel just be upfront" So I'm not sure how to approach this. And honestly, I don't know any "power sprint users" (meaning sprint users who know how to get what they want) and definitely don't know any Treo users other than my boyfriend and he's a newbie Treo user so he'd be no help. heh

I have regular vision now so I know I'd get Power Vision. And right now I have $5 umlimited texts and am supposed to have free mobile to mobile because I've had it since they first offered it waaaay back when but somehow Sprint is charging me a quarter for it. I know. But if it goes any higher I'm complaining!

And I don't want to lose the perks I do have. So, should I call? Should I go to a store?

Basically, I'm asking what my course of action should be. My contract ends in August.

I get a 5% discount now. It's not am employee discount just a "we're being nice" discount, I guess. I got an email recently saying "We'll give you a 10% discount" and then in finer print "with a 2 year subscriber agreement" I haven't done anything yet.

I feel that the ball's in my court and I want the best bang for my buck. I want a good deal on the 700p. I want to keep my perks. And I don't want to wait until August if I don't have to.

So.. what do you guys think?
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I would search for thread w/ the word Retention in it. I would point you in the direction w/ a link, but, alas I am on my Treo right now. Good Luck & welcome to TC.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, NRG. I'll look now!
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Yeah, I think retention's the way to go. If necessary, you can nicely explain to them that you could get a much better deal on the phone through Verizon as things stand now.

Of course, if you actually switched, you'd quickly lose those savings by paying more for service every month, but I doubt the rep would figure that out all by him/herself.

Oh, and sincerest thanks for doing your homework first!
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    *2, say "Cancel" when asked what you want to do. Try to get your new phone now. Good luck.
    One other consideration ..... By August the first ROM update should be out and that should save ya the trouble of dealing with the bleeding edge hassles while Palm and software vendors work out most of the bugaboos.
  7.    #7  
    okay, I called! Ack. I don't know if I could have done better but considering I'm not good at lying and definitely not good at being forceful... I guess I did okay. I don't know. You tell me.

I got the phone for 399.99...which, from what I've read on here isn't a wonderful price, but honestly, this is all new to me. In the past I've only ever done the $150 off and nothing extra. So I saved myself 100 bucks.

399.99 -Treo 700p

my plan:

39.99 400 minutes
    5.00 umlimited text
    .25 pcs to pcs (I know, very weird)
    free upgrade to 6pm night and weekend (I asked for it)
    9% business discount
    5% loyalty discount - this one I've had for a while but expires in Oct. Can I call back and get it done again? or higher?

I tried for a the 700p for $300 and he said, "ohh now this phone is too new to get it that low"

Oh, well... I guess I'm satisfied.

And jack, yeah that was my concern in the first place with getting such a new phone... having to handle bugs/updates. Blah! Not fun.

Thanks for your advice, everyone. Hopefully by next time I'll be a force to reckon with! heh
    Last edited by enchantress; 07/01/2006 at 02:50 PM.
    ^^^ Try to find a site or place which is selling the 700p for less. Then call back to retentions and get a pricematch for it. Keep trying until you get the pricematch.

As for your plan, it's ok. It gives you room to move in terms of asking for perks. After a day or two, you should start e-mailing eCare. Perhaps ask for a renewal or upgrade on your loyalty discount (give a little bit of story background with you and Sprint). But hey, no Power Vision with your new phone? You need to get that or try and get a discount on it.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    You might want to join sprintusers.com its a very good resource for plans etc.
    Welcome to TreoCentral enchantress! I'm sure you will love your 700p.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    The SlickDeals.net thread has oodles of good info for Sprint deals.
  12.    #12  
    thanks, guys! you're all so helpful and welcoming!
    isnt it funny how nice we are to newbies who are women? Haha
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Speak for yourself, fkjr2. I was nice because she researched her question before posting it.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    I was nice because she researched her question before posting it.
    Yep. There's a flood of noobies on the board with the release of the 700p; more than I remember at the release of the 650. It's refreshing to see someone post who has done their homework.

ERic
  16.    #16  
    heehee@ because I'm a woman.

I'd like to think it was because I did research it and because I asked nicely... but hey.. if I get perks because I'm a girl.. I guess I can handle that. heh

This is what I ended up getting: (officially now)

Treo 700p for 399.99 ... BUT I noticed in my account that it showed a charge for 399.99 (the day after I paid retentions over the phone) but it also showed a $100 discount. But I thought the $100 discount he claimed was to bring it down to 399.99 not from 399.99. So right now I'm not sure if I paid 399.99 or 299.99. lol

Fair & Flexible: 400 minutes for $39.99 (might upgrade to 1,000 later if needed. alot of my contacts are Sprint users)

Free upgrade to 6pm.

Umlimited text: $8 (couldn't keep it for 5 because the $5 is only for regular vision, not PV)

PCS to PCS: Free

Power Vision: the $25 plan for $15

Insurance: $6

9% Employee Discount

5% Loyalty Discount (ends in Oct. and was told to call back at that time and get another)

So.. I'm happy.

My Treo is still very green (as am I but I'm learning a lot here) but I'm loving having access to everything in the palm of my hands!

Thanks again, guys!
    Daaawg! Enchantress got a better deal than I did, the rep must have been a guy.
  18.    #18  
    heehee he was
  19. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    W/ an name like 'Enchantress' how could you not expect to get a good deal?

Glad everything worked out for ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by enchantress
    His 2 year discount thing isn't until Spring 2007 so what he did was get a 650 off of ebay and had it activated at Sprint. All is well with him. My 2 year discount is in August. I've been wanting a new phone since beginning of the year!
    Note that the two year discount for reupping ($75 or whatever?) gets reset each time you activate a new phone. So even if tomorrow you are entitled to a $75 rebate on a new phone for having been with them two years, if you activate a new phone you bought on Ebay today, it'll be another two years. Of course, you can leave the carrier or go through retentions, but the "official" policy discourages moves such as the above. Read all the posts above and you'll see there are many ways to skin a cat, but just wanted to let you know so that when you call up sprint and get told "sorry, you activated a phone in July and thus are not eligible until July 2008"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast