1.    #1  
    My wife's Treo 600 has worked great for a year or more (I forget when we got it) but has been acting very flakey for the last couple of months to the point now where she can't get it to even successfully dial out 3 out of every 4 times and when it does dial out successfully, the connection will usually drop after talking for under 30 seconds.

It's not covered under the monthly insurance and is outside of the Palm 1-year warranty, so I was all set to just bite the bullet and pay full price for a new Sprint phone for her (possibly even a 700p). But I figured, what the heck...let me take it to a Sprint store and see what they offer to do for me. Well we went to the mall tonight and the store was so packed that they were taking names and telling us it would probably be at least a 1/2 hour wait to talk to anyone. We went for a bite to eat and then I went back and it was empty. I spoke to a rep and he said that they could do a repair for $55. Realistically, he said, the Treo 600 wasn't a phone they did repairs on, so they'd probably just replace it and possibly even upgrade me to a 650. Unfortunately, the service rep was gone for the day, so I have to go back tomorrow.

This sounds too good to be true, but I'm crossing my fingers that I can get my wife a new/refurbished Treo 650 for $55. If they swap in new 650's in these repair situations, I wonder if I could have any luck in asking to be upgraded to the 700p if I paid the price difference.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    The $55 Sprint in-store replacement is real, I had a friend who just did that yesterday with her broken 650. Got a replacement 650 on the spot.

ERic
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I did it once for an old flip phone my roommate broke, they don't usually advertise it though.
  4.    #4  
    Looks like I jinxed it. Went back to the store and had to sit around and wait almost 1/2 hour because they were crowded again. They then took my phone and said that the tech was backed up so it could take up to 2 hours. I didn't get to talk to the tech at that point. Walked around the mall to kill some time and came back about 1.5 hours later and another sales rep came back with my phone and said that they couldn't fix it and would have to order a replacement. I sat around thinking/hoping that they'd tell me that they would be giving me an upgrade to a 650 but nope. She prints out a receipt thingy and tells me that I'll have to come back on Tuesday or Wednesday to get it and it looks like I'll actually be getting another 600 (it looked like she was searching around some sort of refurb inventory system on her computer).

So now I had to leave empty handed again and will have to waste another hour or two to trek back out there on Tues/Wed (and in the mean time, my wife won't have a working phone). I really hope that when I go to pick it up it's a 650 and not a 600, but I'm not feeling hopeful at this point.
  5.    #5  
    Just as a follow-up, I picked up the 600 yesterday. Yup, it was just a 600. Looked brand spanking new, too. The screen protector they had on it is actually useful (once you snip off the added appendage at the top).

They charged me $35 plus tax, which sounds like an activation fee, but I don't think they charged me the $55. If they charged me both, I'll call to complain about the activation fee, since I've never had to pay for ESN swaps, and IMO, that's all this is.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Just as a follow-up, I picked up the 600 yesterday. Yup, it was just a 600. Looked brand spanking new, too. The screen protector they had on it is actually useful (once you snip off the added appendage at the top).

They charged me $35 plus tax, which sounds like an activation fee, but I don't think they charged me the $55. If they charged me both, I'll call to complain about the activation fee, since I've never had to pay for ESN swaps, and IMO, that's all this is.
    that was the repair fee, there are three tiers of repairs. 15, 35 and 55. The issue you were having with the 600 fell into the $35 repair tier.
    Wow, so basically, don't buy the monthly insurance? At least the non-accidental damage one?
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abstraxion
    Wow, so basically, don't buy the monthly insurance? At least the non-accidental damage one?
    Unless policy has changed in the last 6 months with ESRP, if you go to have a repair done without the coverage you have to pay for the repair and then add ESRP anyway. If you already have lock\line, ESRP is just an extra $2 a month, which would be cheaper than paying for any repair.

I just have it just to make life easier. Sprint doesn't go by the manufactor warrenty anymore, and with how many times my headset jack stopped working on my 650 I found it alot easier just to pay $2 more and beable to walk in and usually get a replacement on the spot.
    Ah, they MAKE you add the insurance after they fix your phone? That's weird.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abstraxion
    Ah, they MAKE you add the insurance after they fix your phone? That's weird.
    Not insurance, just the equipement service and repair program (ESRP). Anything that can be fixed by a tech without signs of liquid damage or if its beyond repair, Sprint will fix at no charge for the $3 / month. Its only $2 when bundled with Lock\line insurance.