Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Maybe this is nothing more than a rant but I have to note the difference here from my experience to this point. Sprint retentions and sprint customer service over the phone are great. Nice, decent people to talk to. However, Sprint store personnel are walking zombies. Forgive me if you are a Sprint store employee and do somehow generate enough oxygen to your brain to think. Even though there is a manager in each store it appears that there is no chain of command for making decision other than what the computer tells them. On the phone I was able to get a Treo 700P for $249 stating I wanted to stay, etc. In the store they wanted to charge me $399 for the phone even when the sign on the wall said $349!!! It was supposedly a misprint and they could not offer it at that price. I even threatened false advertisement and stated that they had to give it to me for at least the $349 price. I felt like I whatever I was saying to him sounded like the Charlie Brown teacher talking. I wasn't mean, argumentative...just simply and calmly stating the facts. It didn't go well.

On the other hand...I went to the Verizon store just to see what I could do. I told them I'd have to cancel with Sprint and move to them and their rate plan sucked in comparison (gotta love free incoming and nights starting at 6pm). Verizon doesn't even offer a buy-up option for nights to start earlier than 9pm..what gives with that mentality? Anyway, from my previous statement the girl I spoke to was intelligent, courteous and offered to knock $200 off the advertised $399 price of the 700p to cover my trouble for cancellation and switching. She did this on her own...with no manager needed and without looking at me like a deer in the headlights.

Bottom line I've been to multiple Sprint and Verizon stores and have received similar results at all of them over time. Sprint should be happy with their phone crew because they save their **** day in and day out. They need to train their in store people WAY better than they do now and they need to enforce a chain of command at each store. It was close...I almost jumped to Verizon over this debacle on Sprint's part. If Verizon offered a better line-up of voice and data service/prices I would have been gone. As it stands...I stayed with Sprint due to the tele-group. As you can see I could have bought the phone for $50 cheaper through Verizon but in the long run my plan with Sprint will save me way more than that. Be careful Sprint...I've heard this same story from other people...you have a good thing going but your store crews are absolutely killing you.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Or do I walk around with the Verizon guy on my shoulder and that's why Sprint stores are brain-dead to me and Verizon stores are sweet on me?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    While I agree that sprint stores need a lot of work- your experience to me is more of a testament to the teleco industry rather than a Sprint vs VZ issue.

Bottom line is that sales centric companies value new business more than existing. Even though existing business is better, more profitable business.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    My exp is quite the contrary. I was a long time Verizon customer. Every time I walked into a Verzon store, I hated it. There were sales people approching me like I was plague and without as much as a greeting, barked at me - do you need help? and when I said yes, they insisted that they will not even talk to me if I dont give them my personal info on a clipboard. I have been to many around town and they were all rude and had no regard when I told them that I was a verizon customer already - in fact they just walked away.
    Well, I am on Sprint now. I was welcomed at the Sprint store and even the manager took time to talk to me. He even referred me to a SERO plan and made sure I got it.
    Have to switch the rest of the fam over to Sprint when my contract with V is done in a few months. Cant stand them. They can have their network and do you know what with it.
    Maybe this is nothing more than a rant but I have to note the difference here from my experience to this point. Sprint retentions and sprint customer service over the phone are great. Nice, decent people to talk to. However, Sprint store personnel are walking zombies. Forgive me if you are a Sprint store employee and do somehow generate enough oxygen to your brain to think. Even though there is a manager in each store it appears that there is no chain of command for making decision other than what the computer tells them.
    Personally, I prefer the store as they are more personable than the phone jockies.

You need to keep in mind the functional and operational differences between the Retail Stores and Customer Service. Customer Service is there to keep a customer and has more operational (policy, pricing) flexiablity than the store fronts. Retail Stores are about activations only and they seem to be under strict pricing structure as they should with the added expense to keep the lights on.

My assumption is they have different organizational reporting structures. Personally, I would shoot the phone Jockie's for giving away the kitchen sink and their lack of consistancy.

On the phone I was able to get a Treo 700P for $249 stating I wanted to stay, etc.
    They must be running a Spiff and the phone jockey received an extra $20 in his pay check.

On the other hand...I went to the Verizon store just to see what I could do. I told them I'd have to cancel with Sprint and move to them and their rate plan sucked in comparison (gotta love free incoming and nights starting at 6pm). Verizon doesn't even offer a buy-up option for nights to start earlier than 9pm..what gives with that mentality? Anyway, from my previous statement the girl I spoke to was intelligent, courteous and offered to knock $200 off the advertised $399 price of the 700p to cover my trouble for cancellation and switching. She did this on her own...with no manager needed and without looking at me like a deer in the headlights.
    Verizon..agghhh. Sure I will knock $200 off the phone to gang rape you on our Data Plan.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfBallMan
    Verizon..agghhh. Sure I will knock $200 off the phone to gang rape you on our Data Plan.
    Well put...and also a reason why I didn't jump to VZW.

Well, like I said maybe I just needed an outlet for my anger. I see the point of activations vs. retention at all cost in who helps better. But still, I think it is a sad state when I am a customer and I cannot walk into my carriers store and be treated with the same 'A' list treatment that someone wishing to switch is. It just doesn't make much sense to chase me off to the other carrier doing the same thing...let's take care of our own as well as those looking for greener pastures.

Side note, I left Verizon years ago because I got fed up with the store. At one time I could walk in to the store and pay my bill...there was a time when they stopped this and MADE you send it in to the payment address. I argued with the manager saying that...as a Verizon customer, what does this store offer me? He said without hesitation...we can sell you another phone line. So, maybe it is the area that is different...I just remembered this story last night. Thanks for listening to me vent guys.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    I feel your pain though... on my 6th treo, in less than a year, with sprint. I just came back from the store with the replacement and it is stuck in roaming!! The ESN wouldn't scan in the store, hoping he just punched it in wrong.

I do like verizon but don't believe their data plan is worth the premium. If I didn't use data, I would be with Verizon. Worst customer service that I ever received was with Cingular...over charged me $600 in 4 months and would only credit my account and not issue a refund...customer service said they have no way to issue a check. So I asked how she recieved a pay check.