1.    #1  
    My ear piece just stopped working on my 5th Treo 650, luckily, I have the full equipment insurance. I am with Sprint and approaching the end of the first year of my contract and not eligable for the $150 phone credit.

What I would like to do is either switch to a different phone or move to the Treo 700P. Any idea's on how to get an upgrade to the 700P or move to a different phone with minimal cost?

I would think they would want me switch to another phone as they must be losing money with all the replacements. Plus, I am tired replacing the phone every two months.

Thanks.
    Suggestion: Place a call to the Sprint Retentions department and complain. If you threaten to switch to Verizon, maybe they'll cut you a deal on a 700p. Have all of your Treo's broken because of the ear piece?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    Suggestion: Place a call to the Sprint Retentions department and complain. If you threaten to switch to Verizon, maybe they'll cut you a deal on a 700p. Have all of your Treo's broken because of the ear piece?
    I don't think retentions will do me any good as canceling my contract will cost $180. Not looking to cancel as I feel the service and value is worth the money I pay.

This is the first time for the ear piece. All have broken for various reasons - touch screen died, bluetooth died, sync port breaking, power jack breaking and antenna stub falling off. Just tired of getting the phone software the way I want it and then breaking.

What kills me is I don't abuse the phone and paid good money for it. First unit died within the first 30 days.
    I am surprised about you being on 6 treos in a year...thats not the norm.

I would call CS and let them know 'nicely' all your problems and replacements. Doesn't hurt to ask.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I am surprised about you being on 6 treos in a year...thats not the norm.

I would call CS and let them know 'nicely' all your problems and replacements. Doesn't hurt to ask.

I called customer service today and they didn't offer anything. I was checking my bill and they asked if there was anythingelse, I was calm and nice and explained my issue, they appologized but said I would have to pay full price or wait until end of July for my one yr $75 cr.

I am going to visit the local store and see if they are willing to do anything. Worst case, I get another 650 and go back in two months when it breaks.
    you will not have any luck at the store. the deals are cut over the phone only. you don't have to actually cancel. you have to threaten to cancel in a nice way. I had 4 treo 650 replacements & called & said I want the Treo 700P but did not want to pay full price. I said that because I had too many 650 replacements that I wanted to swap for a 700. I said I would even pay the difference. after some hemming & hawwing on their part, they finally offered me the 700P for $150 staright out & I would have to send my 650 back. Bottom line is you have to keep calling back if they don't give you the deal you want. the key word here is persistence! good luck.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfBallMan
    I called customer service today and they didn't offer anything. I was checking my bill and they asked if there was anythingelse, I was calm and nice and explained my issue, they appologized but said I would have to pay full price or wait until end of July for my one yr $75 cr.

I am going to visit the local store and see if they are willing to do anything. Worst case, I get another 650 and go back in two months when it breaks.
    Have you had all the exchanges done in the same sprint store? YMMV, but in the store I used to work in after four replacement phones in our store for things that were manufacture defects the cust could talk to the manager and ask to pay the difference for a comparable phone, whatever the difference in the full retail price at the time was. If any of the issues were cust abuse but because they had TEP they were covered, they werenít given the option.

The reason I ask about where it was replaced, my manager would only do it if all replacements were done in our store. He didnít want people getting them replaced a few times elsewhere knowing they could get a new phone in our store. Iíd say thatís your best shot, explain to the manager all the problems you have had with the 650 and see if he will kindly switch you to a 700p as a replacement. If he says no, ask if you can pay the difference. Like you said, worst case scenario you have another 650.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    you will not have any luck at the store. the deals are cut over the phone only. you don't have to actually cancel. you have to threaten to cancel in a nice way. I had 4 treo 650 replacements & called & said I want the Treo 700P but did not want to pay full price. I said that because I had too many 650 replacements that I wanted to swap for a 700. I said I would even pay the difference. after some hemming & hawwing on their part, they finally offered me the 700P for $150 staright out & I would have to send my 650 back. Bottom line is you have to keep calling back if they don't give you the deal you want. the key word here is persistence! good luck.
    Did you call retentions or deal with customer service?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble
    Have you had all the exchanges done in the same sprint store?
    The phone was purchased at a different store as the one by my house was not open at the time. The first replacement was done at a different store within the first 30 days of purchase. But 4 of the 5 have been from the same store -- soon to be 5 of 6.

I think I may try retension today and then visit the store in tonight. I like the fact the 700 actually gets reception at my house. With the 650 I get no signal in the house. If I had not seen my neighbors 700 then I probably would have just gotten the 650.

One other question though, is there a limit on the number of repairs/swaps they will do under the Protection Program? This will be number six in under a year -- they have to be just as tired of it as myself.
    Im on my 4th, they say three's a charm but I guess it took me one more to get one that works properly.

Ive had the earpiece issue, i put a plug in the headset jack and slowly pulled it out and it fixed it. Do you get audio clicks when you use the 5-way?
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfBallMan
    One other question though, is there a limit on the number of repairs/swaps they will do under the Protection Program? This will be number six in under a year -- they have to be just as tired of it as myself.
    There is no techincal limit if you have TEP and the issues that require repair/swaps are manufacture defects. IF it is cust abuse/liquid damage then you have to go through lock/line and you are limited to (2) non manufacture defects replacements with the $50 deductable ie, liquid damage/lost/stolen, every 12 months.

As a former rep, i hated doing warrenty replacements, so i am guessing the store is just as tired of them as you are.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow
    Im on my 4th, they say three's a charm but I guess it took me one more to get one that works properly.

Ive had the earpiece issue, i put a plug in the headset jack and slowly pulled it out and it fixed it. Do you get audio clicks when you use the 5-way?
    No sound what so ever out of the ear piece.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble
    There is no techincal limit if you have TEP and the issues that require repair/swaps are manufacture defects. IF it is cust abuse/liquid damage then you have to go through lock/line and you are limited to (2) non manufacture defects replacements with the $50 deductable ie, liquid damage/lost/stolen, every 12 months.

As a former rep, i hated doing warrenty replacements, so i am guessing the store is just as tired of them as you are.

Called customer service this morning -- they would only offer me $349 for a 6700. I went to the store and the ordered me another replacement but the guy at the counter told me to try calling retensions. I may give one more shot and if it doesn't work then will just keep getting replacements as needed through insurance.
    Are you calling regular CS? To actually get the retentions dept., you need to dial *2, then say "Cancel" when the recording asks what you want to do.
    why are you wasting your insurance????? Just keep calling back until you get someone who will help you. This is not rocket science folks!
    He's not "wasting" the insurance. If the replacements are done in the store under ESRP there is no limit.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    He's not "wasting" the insurance. If the replacements are done in the store under ESRP there is no limit.
    Correct, no charge. I originally thought it was the "lockline" $50 deductable portion of the plan but replacements due to "manufacture defects" are no cost. So, I guess I will continue until they cancel me. Regarding retensions...rather wait until my contract is up before I push the envelope. I like the service cost and the plan I have...900M FF, Vision, M2M, Roaming, Insurance and 25% Corp Disc, for just under $70 a month.

I've looked and others carriers would cost more with the exception of SunCom Unplan Unlimited (Just on SunCom Network) $59 Unlimited Voice + $20 Unlimited Data. $79 a month (Includes Taxes), No Contract, plus corp discount...pretty tempting.