1.    #1  
    Like many other folks here, I thought I bought the Treo 700p thru Sprint for $399, shipped. That was how much they told me it cost, and that was what they charged my credit card. But this is decpetive and maybe a little deceitful, because on my bill this month I got hit with an extra $40 in taxes, which can only be explained by sales taxes on the phone. I understand that Sprint may be legally required to charge sales tax, but it seems to me that they intentionally lead you to believe that any sales taxes are included in the $399, since that's what they charged my credit card.

Any ideas on this one? The money doesn't bother me so much as knowing that Sprint is intentionally misleading their customers on this issue. Anyone else looked at their bill yet? Called Sprint about it?
    Instead of speculating, it would make most sense in calling them to ask about it.
    Did you look at your bill? What were the $40 in charges listed for? There's no way they'd sell you the phone for $399 and then charge the tax separately on your bill.
    You should always assume that when you make a purchase from a company that does business in the state in which you live that you will be charged sales tax. It is required by law. If you were told the sales tax was included in the price you were given for the phone, you should call Sprint and let them know you were given false information. You will most likely be credited. When I bought my phone from them they let me know taxes would be extra. Perhaps you had someone who was not aware that it wasn't included. Not the first time Sprint has given out misinformation. Highly unlikely that it was intentional.
    The pic is of my 4-year old big boy with Benny the Bull at a Bulls game

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYravefever
    Instead of speculating, it would make most sense in calling them to ask about it.
    I agree 100%. Just checking to see if anyone else has called them at this point, and alerting other TreoCentral users as a service. I'll call when I'm ready.
    ^ Agreed & understood. I didn't buy from Sprint so unfortunately I cannot confirm nor deny. Erm... maybe I should go into politics.
  7.    #7  
    Sprint didn't mention that taxes would be extra, and stated explicitly that they would charge my credit card $399. If they told me tax was not included (don't remember if I asked), I certainly would have asked them to cover that. It's also a pain because I'm on a family plan with a friend, and now I gotta send him a check... I know, I know, cry me a river! But betweem the extra $40, the fact that they were not upfront about it, and the 90 seconds it would take me to send a check, it adds up to just enough that I'll call them and figure it out.
    <moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerome
    Like many other folks here, I thought I bought the Treo 700p thru Sprint for $399, shipped. That was how much they told me it cost, and that was what they charged my credit card. But this is decpetive and maybe a little deceitful, because on my bill this month I got hit with an extra $40 in taxes, which can only be explained by sales taxes on the phone. I understand that Sprint may be legally required to charge sales tax, but it seems to me that they intentionally lead you to believe that any sales taxes are included in the $399, since that's what they charged my credit card.

Any ideas on this one? The money doesn't bother me so much as knowing that Sprint is intentionally misleading their customers on this issue. Anyone else looked at their bill yet? Called Sprint about it?
    You have got to be kidding me if you think that the retail price includes sales tax? Please tell me you didn't really think this?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    You have got to be kidding me if you think that the retail price includes sales tax? Please tell me you didn't really think this?
    I'm not kidding. Usually when i buy a product and pay for it with my credit card, they charge the whole thing to my credit card. Best Buy doesn't charge my credit card $299 for an iPod and then later send me a bill for $25 in tax.

Besides that, lots of retailers don't charge sales tax by maintaining the fiction that they don't have a physical nexus in the state. Borders & Dell did this for years to avoid having to charge their customers sales tax, and others still do it today.
    I'm not kidding.
    Then ask Sprint what the charge is. I'm guessing most of what you see on your bill is a new line/account setup fee rather than any form of sales tax. It's been a few years since I switched to Sprint but I remember being a bit surprised when those fees showed up. However, they did tell me there would be line setup fees. Anyway you should call them or go the the SprintPCS site and question your bill.
    I'm not kidding. Usually when i buy a product and pay for it with my credit card, they charge the whole thing to my credit card. Best Buy doesn't charge my credit card $299 for an iPod and then later send me a bill for $25 in tax.

Besides that, lots of retailers don't charge sales tax by maintaining the fiction that they don't have a physical nexus in the state. Borders & Dell did this for years to avoid having to charge their customers sales tax, and others still do it today.
    If they have one employee touch that state in any given year they have to collect tax. That is the law. Been there from the business side and that is the fact. I honestly am floored still that you would have expected anything different.
    Are you sure it was not an activation fee?
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Assuming you need to pay the sales tax on anything you buy is fair assumption. As many of us purchase more and more online we get used to paying the quoted price... no tax because we are buying them from businesses that do not operate in the state we are living in. But Sprint has employees that work in every state, therefore they must collect tax in every state. Look at that again .... "they must collect tax..." They don't charge it, they collect it for the government. The government will soon find a way to close the tax loop.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    the reason this happened, is sprints system bills equipement on the account. Then the credit card charge is actually a payment on the account. Thats why you see on the bill a handset purchase and a payment for handset line items. Typically with that, taxes are all generated at the end of the bill cycle and the mid cycle payment is just the retail price of the phone. Thats how the system has worked every time ive ordered a phone through telesales.
    geeez, lighten up dude
    Ok, I will lighten up...

Wow, jakerome I am so sorry you had to pay sales tax like the rest of us. How unfair of them to not single you out as special.

Is that light enough?
  18.    #18  
    Just an update here. I called Sprint about the sales tax charge, and explained to them that I was told the total cost of the phone would be $399. The Sprint CSR took a look at the bill and offered to credit me the ~$40 that Sprint had charged in sales tax. It was really easy, and I only had to ask once.

So, if you were unexpectedly charged sales tax, give Sprint a call and see if they will give you a credit for the sales tax that they charged.
    Ok, I will lighten up...

Wow, jakerome I am so sorry you had to pay sales tax like the rest of us. How unfair of them to not single you out as special.

Is that light enough?
    In Dallas, Bob & Dan have a bit on thier show called "U'r an @$$ if......."

I think you might get nominated. It's not that anyone really "thought" they'd get their product w/o paying sales tax. It's because Sprint "told" you wouldn't have to pay it. Have you ever been told something by a business and they changed it on you?

.......that's how i roll.