Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After reading all of the posts about keeping an existing (non-Power Vision) plan, I thought I'd better share what my experience was with Sprint today.

I got my 700p today (UPS took it to the wrong address, but that's another long story). I called ahead of time to ask a few questions of Sprint, and said, "Hey, I'm thinking about getting a PowerVision phone. What if I keep my existing unlimited data plan -- can I still use PowerVision?" The answer was "yes" -- but I'd get charged the 0.2 cents (or whatever it is) per kilobyte when using PowerVision. I called back twice after that (and talked to two others, and they gave me the same answer).

In other words, the posts on here that suggest doing an ESN switch and keeping your old plan and being able to use PowerVision are indeed technically correct -- but it doesn't sound like it's correct that the former "unlimited data" plans will prevent additional, "per-kilobyte" charges on the next bill. So future monthly bills could get a bit steep.

That said (so I don't get flamed here), I'm no expert and I could be totally wrong. It is entirely possible that I am the biggest fool and just got gypped by Sprint for a whole bunch of money every month. But I didn't want to take the chance.

I just wanted to through that out there, as a few of the posts on here are indicating that we can just grandfather our old plans in without extra charges. I guess we'll all find out at the end of the month.
    That sounds like what I was told by a Sprint rep. We don't have EVDO here in our area yet. He said that I could simply use my current plan. But, if I travel to an area that has Power Vision, I would most likely see a "per-kilobyte" charge. He told me how much that would be but I really did not pay that muach attention. I was mostly checking on the fact that I did not want to pay for Power Vision if it was not in our area yet. He did say that Sprint's plan is to have EVDO in all Sprint areas by the end of the year. We'll see.
    On the 700P, can you select 1xRTT so as not to be charged for Power vision usage?
    You can according to the link below. However, if you plan to do this, it might be good just to get a 650 instead of a 700

http://www.evdoforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2477
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I got a similar answer from the 3rd and 4th call I made to the retention group in regards to the .2 or .02 cents per KB.

Another key (to my decision NOT to upgrade) was that if I added the Power Vision pack to my plan to allow the EV-DO, then I would in all sense lose the grandfathered Unlimited Vision (old vision) plan and would there for forfiet my unlimited Text messaging. So, not only would I pay an extra $25 for Power Vision, but I'd have to pay the $XX for text messaging.

So, $400 to upgrade, $18 to activate, sales tax on the purchase, $25/mo for power vision, $xx for text messaging.....no way.

All you 700p users, enjoy the phone. I wanna be part of the group, but I'm not willing to pay the membership dues. Ya'll work out the bugs, drive the price down, and maybe the rate plans will improve soon to make it worth while for me.
    So is that 2 cents or 20 cents per kb?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I already have a 650 but it crashes too often and that's gettin old. This must be my 5th or 6th 650 but they all crash so I was thinking if the 700P is more stable I'd buy it and sell my 650 but still keep my $10 unlim vision plan and just run it on 1xrtt. If the new blazer on the 700P is faster than blazer on the 650 while on 1xrtt that's good enuf fro me. I'm not sure if I want to go for the unlim Power Vision which at $49/mo? is 5 times what I'm paying for unlim vision. Wonder how many people are thinkin the way I'm thinkin?

Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    You can according to the link below. However, if you plan to do this, it might be good just to get a 650 instead of a 700

http://www.evdoforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2477
    Maybe I am missing something here, but why cant you call Retentions and tell them you would like to keep paying the same as you did for your old vision plan for the new Power Vision service? Myself (and many others as Ive read) ordered the new Power vision plan and have been promised a credit each month from Sprint for the difference between the price of the new plan and the existing plan. Of course if I ever stop getting this credit, we may have a problem!

As far as text messages, you need to work with them. They said they couldnt give me unlimited like I had, but instead gave me 500/month for free (which is like unlimited for me)

Just my experience...
    I hate to be the bearer of good news but you CAN keep your old vision plan or at least keep your old price & use Powervision with the Treo 700. I called in & asked if I could keep my old vision plan for $10 (unlimited web, text, video/ picture mail) if I got a Treo 700. they said that the new Treo will only work with power vision & I had vision. it wouldn't work - I would need to get powervision for the higher price & pay extra for text. I said this is not right for them to force me to upgrade when I have had this plan since vision was launched (treo 300). he seemed to agree & put me on hold. he came back & said he could give me powervision for the same $10 a month but no text included. text would be $8 a month but I would also see an $8 credit to my bill each month. and NO extension of contract needed. so in short you CAN get your grandfathered price of vision even if vision will not work on treo 700. you just have to keep calling back until someone will help you. sometimes it takes awhile but it can be done! you can also get the treo 700 from sprint for $150 out the door as well if you are patient, diligent & persistent. but you can read about that in another thread...
    That be awesome if true (same price as unlim Vision for unlim PowerVision in the form of credit every month). If I were you, I'd want that in writing. Sprint CSR's are know to outright lie (from personal experience) just to make a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCPA
    Maybe I am missing something here, but why cant you call Retentions and tell them you would like to keep paying the same as you did for your old vision plan for the new Power Vision service? Myself (and many others as Ive read) ordered the new Power vision plan and have been promised a credit each month from Sprint for the difference between the price of the new plan and the existing plan. Of course if I ever stop getting this credit, we may have a problem!

As far as text messages, you need to work with them. They said they couldnt give me unlimited like I had, but instead gave me 500/month for free (which is like unlimited for me)

Just my experience...
    I got a bit of a hassle when trying to activate my phone with my old unlimited data plan. I reminded the person of a conversation I had with retention two days prior where they promised me the same data plan. My phone works, I guess I'll find out at my next bill if there are any weird charges on there.
    I'm not susre about the monthly credit. I've been 'promised' before from AT&T and they broke their promise...which led me to cancel. I also got screwed years ago by Sprint, but ended up getting hooked up a few months later with the "grandfathered" plan and I've been content and forgiving of their mistakes. i'm a little scared of promises by any company. Also the Sprint CSR's don't exactly have the best track record of accuracy. You call 10 times and get 10 different answers.

As far as the 500 text messages, I asked. she told me (the 4th call tonight to retentions) that wasn't possible. I replied others had gotten it and she told me my line didn't qualify. I bet if I called back a 5th or 6th time, I might get it. (hence my previous point of CSR consistency.)
    Did you make a recording of that conversation? How is Blazer on the 700P with 1xrtt? How much faster does it feel than Blazer on the 650?

Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I got a bit of a hassle when trying to activate my phone with my old unlimited data plan. I reminded the person of a conversation I had with retention two days prior where they promised me the same data plan. My phone works, I guess I'll find out at my next bill if there are any weird charges on there.
    I'm calling BS on the $150 deal. I may be wrong (as many times I can be), but it sounds too good to be true.

As for the "monthly credit", don't hold your breath. It may happen for this month, but I would be shocked if you got this indefineatly.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    What if you are on sero?
    I live in a powervision area and I activated service on a powervision phone (with sero plan) then went to the treo 650.
    so when i get the 700p do i have to pay any extra $.2 per kb?
    Im guessing no..but im not 100% sure.
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by baby_arm
    I'm calling BS on the $150 deal. I may be wrong (as many times I can be), but it sounds too good to be true.

As for the "monthly credit", don't hold your breath. It may happen for this month, but I would be shocked if you got this indefineatly.
    I believe the $150 deal. My 600 was replaced with 650 by Sprint without additional charge since at the time the phones were the same price. And to add I was 11 months into my contract and did not have to renew. If you read some of the 650 threads, there's quite a few that got the same deal as I did.

As for the monthly credit, you should call back to confirm that you did infact get the recurring discount. I used to pay $100 for 2000 min with free Vision, granfathered unlimited SMS. After my 2yr contract ended I called retention and downgraded my plan to the $59.99 family 550 min plan with 1 free line. I told them I didn't want to lose my free vision and unlimted text so what they did was charge me $10 vision and $5 unlimited text and countered the charges with 20% discount every month for 2 years. I added another line for my dad for $10 and that too gets the 20% discount. After I agreed, I waited a week and called retention again to confirm my plan and the 20% still applied. To top it off, I received a call from a Sprint rep (not sure if he was telesales) and offered me additional 10% if I sign up for another 2 yrs. I told him I just signed up a week prior but he said that was ok as long as I agreed. So I agreed and now 3 months later I still get a total of 30% off and is still recurring. Below is my account summary.

59.99 Plan
    10.00 addtl line
    10.00 Vision
    6.00 Insurance
    5.00 Unlimited text
    5.00 7pm N/WEnds
    -------
    +12.73 tax
    -------
    69.42 roughly each month (I calculated and it's actually more than 30%)

Sprint by far has been the best carrier for me. I've had GTE (now Verizon) Cingular, At&t and I'm so glad I switched.
    Sprint billing systems cannot differentiate what type of data is being used:1XRTT or EVDO. Data is data to Sprint's billing systems, the only differentiation is made on the devices, they're just capable of taking advantage of the higher speeds. No one with an older unlimited Vision pack will be charged extra fees when in Power Vision areas. I'd bet the farm on that one...
    What the heck is SERO anyway. I've seen it mentioned many times and searched but never found what SERO stands for. Can some one spell SERO out and explain what it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Camel
    What if you are on sero?
    I live in a powervision area and I activated service on a powervision phone (with sero plan) then went to the treo 650.
    so when i get the 700p do i have to pay any extra $.2 per kb?
    Im guessing no..but im not 100% sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudedvision
    What the heck is SERO anyway. I've seen it mentioned many times and searched but never found what SERO stands for. Can some one spell SERO out and explain what it is?
    www.sprint.com/sero
    I have been told the same nonsense that I will be charge extra if I use my 700p where EVDO is available. That is kind of stupid. As for Blazer, it is faster on 1xRTT than it was on the 650.

Al
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast