1.    #1  
    Is there a way to estimate breakeven for pay-as-you-go vs flat rate plan? On other boards, I've read some posts saying PAYG almost always results in huge bills, but others saying it's fine for low use.

Does a plain-text email = X kb, and a typical web page = Y kb?

I'm probably looking at about 5 emails received and replied to, and about 10 web pages per month. Better to go with $25/mo or per kb pricing?

I'm with Verizon (the only good coverage here) and in an area w/o EVDO.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I managed to stay under 20 MB (and yes, there is a a 20 MB for $25 plan if you ask for it) with checking email when away from a computer and using the web to check scores but not much else. Streaming radio, IM like verichat or any push email would easily put you over as well as Wireless-sync. I used about 8-14 MB a month.

If you only download subjects in email when you receive them instead of the whole message automatically and disable graphics on blazer then you could probably get by with per/KB plan.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. So you checked scores on the web w/o graphics?
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powerdog
    Thanks. So you checked scores on the web w/o graphics?
    For the most part, yes. One time though, I spent an entire Sunday driving from Boston to Philly (in the passenger seat) and had to keep up with fantasy football so I went to skweezer and loaded NFL.com through them to get scroes refreshed every 15 minutes because I am compulsive like that. I used maybe 4 MB that one day but my battery was pretty much dead when I got near Trenton.

If you don't need the pictures and don't mind big red x's everywhere you do use a lot less kb's.
    With my Cingular Treo 650, I average around 30mb/mo. This includes 5-10 emails a day and regular web browsing. My chatter email runs all day, so that pulls a little data too staying connected.

If you can get a minimal Verizon data plan, you should be fine. However, be careful that you limit the size of the emails it downloads. Chatter email will allow you to download the first x bytes of the file, which is good if someone sends you a large attachment and you don't want to open it with your Treo.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  6.    #6  
    That's a great tip, stroths. I knew about downloading only subjects, but not samples of content.

I'm guessing I can try the pay-as-you go and, if it gets expensive, sign up for a monthly plan later?
    I don't have Verizon, but that should be the case. Call their CS to verify
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Is there a way of keeping track of your data use on the Treo itself (instead of texting vz)?