Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I haven't been with Verizon for very long and I'm used to the world of GSM and SIM cards.

If I switch from one (Verizon-branded) phone to another (also Verizon-branded), how do I "activate" the new phone? Is calling *228 all that's necessary? Does that carry over everything: my phone number, my data plan?

I'm hoping that no actual human intervention is required. Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light.
    You can (sometimes) do an ESN switch online, but the Treo makes it a little more difficult.

First, Verizon will only activate a phone that has E911, so the phone you switch to must have that. However, when I had to send my 650 in for a warranty replacement, I tried to go online and switch my number to an older Motorola v60s which does have E911, but it wouldn't let me and I had to call customer service.

So I think having a data plan / data device and switching to a phone that doesn't jive with the plan you have causes hiccups in the Verizon system.

But once you do get the ESN switched (either online, or via customer service), then you have to call *228, option 1 to activate the phone, and then *228, option 2 to update the PRL.

Remember that when switching ESNs, both phones need to be off.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    So, assuming the online ESN switching works, I could theoretically switch back and forth between the two phones as needed, without having to pester customer service?
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    ...snip...

Just curious Pablo, how would one do a *228 on the new phone if it is off?

Sorry folks, Pablo is completely wrong here. It a good idea to have the old phone off, not mandatory, but a good idea. The new phone of course MUST be on to do the OTA programming. They arent magically programmed, yunno. And of course anything stored in the old phones stays there. The phone number itself is moved to the new phone as are the rest of the plan features (usually anyway) but thats all.

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Just curious Pablo, how would one do a *228 on the new phone if it is off?
    He said to switch ESNs online while the phones were off, then dial *228.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    From my experience with 5 lines and having about 15 phones the last 4 years with Verizon the ESN changing online is easy but there's one big catch. Make sure the features on the line you are swapping ESN's on are compatible with the new phone. Examples would be swapping a PDA with a PDA, swapping EVDO phones with other EVDO phones. I had to call and proviison my accounts for the lines that I wanted to add new RAZR's too. And if you ever do have to call make sure you tell them that you tried online and it said you had to call or they might try to charge you a provisioning fe of $30.
    Woof,

You snipped too much:

Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    But once you do get the ESN switched (either online, or via customer service), then you have to call *228, option 1 to activate the phone, and then *228, option 2 to update the PRL.

Of course you can't dial *228 when the phone is off...but you don't do that until after the ESN is moved to the new phone.

Like stevenf said, I was referring to when doing the actual ESN swap (either via online account access or through customer service).

Quote Originally Posted by stevenf
    So, assuming the online ESN switching works, I could theoretically switch back and forth between the two phones as needed, without having to pester customer service?
    Theoretically, yes. I used to do this with other phones before I got my 650, but since, any ESN change has required a call to CS.

I think it's because of the data plan. When I had a Treo 600, I was on EN-MOU (using minutes to access data, hence no data plan) and could switch between my 600 and v60s whenever I wanted by simply going online. But once I got the 650, I couldn't do it anymore. The two times I've needed to, I've had to call CS. So I think it has to do with the data plan...but am not really sure.

I haven't really pushed it with CS, but I think cadams is correct when he said the features/plans/provisions on the phones need to be similar, if not exact. And like he said, if you do have to call, make sure you tell them that you tried to do it online but it wouldn't work, so they don't charge you the ESN change fee.

One thing's for sure...it's definitely not as easy as a SIM card swap.
    Last edited by PabloTX; 05/24/2006 at 04:19 PM.
    I switch between a Treo 700W and an i730 all the time (2-3 times per week) using the website without any problems.