Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    The firm I work for uses Verizon and I have had success with Sprint. Are there compelling reasons (such as streaming TV, for example) to go with one or the other in your opinions, connectivity and signal aside? (I am located in the Northwestern US if that helps)

Thanks so much in advance for your replies.

SMEGGIE
    Many fans of Verizon "it's the network" will love to tell you how great Verizon is. I'm not saying that thier network isn't good, because i think they do have one of the, if not the best service area of any company(only roam when i'm up in the hills of Penn.), but i believe they are a complete rip off. If your company is paying for it, i would go with verizon. If you are, screw Verizon. I don't know how good Sprint is with sending out bills but in the 2 years i have been with Verizon, half of my bills have been atleast $20-30 and in some cases $50-60 wrong. I can go on for another hour about Verizon and the complete B.S they have put me through but I personally think they aren't worth the extra money/hassle. If you live in a city, definately go with Sprint. I do live in the Northeast (NY) though so make sure you hear from people in your area about the service. After all, a phone is no good if its always searching for a signal!
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    I couldn't have said it any better...but, I would definitely go with Sprint.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE
    The firm I work for uses Verizon and I have had success with Sprint. Are there compelling reasons (such as streaming TV, for example) to go with one or the other in your opinions, connectivity and signal aside? (I am located in the Northwestern US if that helps)

Thanks so much in advance for your replies.

SMEGGIE
    You won't use streaming TV. Trust me. The gimmic wears off. I read an article not too long ago that stated that Sprint now has the largest Ev-DO network and they will be the first to impliment the next Rev. of it. I think Verizon is spending more money on getting exclusives on the next flashy phone than on maintaining/upgrading their own network (yes that's an exaggeration for those of you who will try and bring in figures of spending). Verizon definately gets access to the hottest phones over Sprint, but Sprint seems to be much more interested in building their network and delivering you the next best thing. There have been many class action suits against Verizon because they try to impede new technology that might make them less money, such as some of bluetooth's capabilities being disabled. Sprint isn't as concerned. The Power Vision (Ev-DO) service really isn't that much more expensive than the regular vision. Sprint could charge an arm and a leg (Verizon does), but they don't. Sprint also tries to find ways to give you discounts, whether that be through a promotion, or through something like the SERO plans. Don't get me wrong, Sprint is still a company out to make money and will try to get the most out of your wallet that they can. However, I feel that Sprint cares more about it's customers than Verizon does. Verizon doesn't seem to give a crap about them.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    You won't use streaming TV. Trust me. The gimmic wears off. I read an article not too long ago that stated that Sprint now has the largest Ev-DO network and they will be the first to impliment the next Rev. of it. I think Verizon is spending more money on getting exclusives on the next flashy phone than on maintaining/upgrading their own network (yes that's an exaggeration for those of you who will try and bring in figures of spending). Verizon definately gets access to the hottest phones over Sprint, but Sprint seems to be much more interested in building their network and delivering you the next best thing. There have been many class action suits against Verizon because they try to impede new technology that might make them less money, such as some of bluetooth's capabilities being disabled. Sprint isn't as concerned. The Power Vision (Ev-DO) service really isn't that much more expensive than the regular vision. Sprint could charge an arm and a leg (Verizon does), but they don't. Sprint also tries to find ways to give you discounts, whether that be through a promotion, or through something like the SERO plans. Don't get me wrong, Sprint is still a company out to make money and will try to get the most out of your wallet that they can. However, I feel that Sprint cares more about it's customers than Verizon does. Verizon doesn't seem to give a crap about them.
    Nice to hear from ya n00b...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Hey now! you guys need to back off of VZW!! Ummm...because...umm...err....ok, can't think of a reason. As you were. VZW BLOWS!

But really, I'm with Sprint because they are somewhat cheaper and they are more liberal with their data services. That is, they tend not to limit what you can do with your phone as much as Verizon. Plus, in L.A., Sprint's network is pretty much as good as VZW, and, as i've said before, they let me roam on VZW network for free anyway.
    COME ON, there has to be some Verizon Die Hard Fans out there somewhere. Where's the "Verizon is the best and no other company comes close" garbage? I'm dying to see someone try to convince me that Verizon could even remotely be considered more than a blood sucking company that's given up on customer service (which they will reply, whats that?) and try to suck ever penny out of you, especially if you dont go through your bill every month several times over.

If you can convince me to stick with Verizon and get my treo from them, i'll get you one of the Treo 700p's that are on ebay right now
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    In the future as they expand on their network, it will hopefully reduce your roaming experience on the network. I dislike Verizon so much...I don't even want to roam for free on a inconsistant compilation of tower tech rapped up in three cellular companies. Half of their network is so old, that it is in upgrade mode...thats what the gouging of customers is paying for probably. That compilation is the only reason why they have such a large network. I love the fact that Sprint is its own entity that built their own all digital fiber optic network from the groung up. That is why I don't want to contaminate that pure fiber optic experience with roaming onto Verizon junk pile free or not. Sprint should be cutting n00b and I cash from time to time for our dedication.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Sprint should be cutting n00b and I cash from time to time for our dedication.
    And Verizon should be using that money they stole from everyone to hire hit men to "silence" you & n00b

If they haven't already!!!!
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    And Verizon should be using that money they stole from everyone to hire hit men to "silence you & n00b"
    LMAO...you are funny
    I am still laughing
    at&t iPhone3G
    To me, a cellular company is a cellular company, so I'm not fanatical about either Verizon, or Sprint. Most of my family is with Verizon and has had a very positive experience with them. Have known some people with Sprint and they have had good experiences. That said, the one, major, limitation with Sprint is their coverage is very, very limited in many parts of the country. Here in the midwest Sprint's coverage is just terrible, pretty much non-existent outside the St. Louis MSA around here.

Gargoyle
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I am not fanatical either, but I CANNOT go with Sprint. It is simply a coverage issue. In my area, sprint's coverage is poor. Cingular is a bit better, but Verizon is by far the best coverage. Expensive, yes, but I would rather have an expensive plan that works than a cheap one where I have no coverage when I need it.
    <moved>

I prefer Sprint cus they're cheaper...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I have been with Sprint is 3 different locations over the last 6 years. I travel 45 weeks of the year. Sprint has been excellent. No wireless carrier is without dropped calls but Sprint is as good as wireless gets IMO.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I envy all of you who are in good sprint coverage areas. I am far from any Major Market Area and travel through some pretty rural territory. I amy re-evaluate the coverage when mt contract is up in Sept.
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner
    I envy all of you who are in good sprint coverage areas. I am far from any Major Market Area and travel through some pretty rural territory. I amy re-evaluate the coverage when mt contract is up in Sept.
    Boy Scout Helpful Mode: ON

Coverage first where you are and go, price second -- obviously. A couple of thoughts: If you have coverage issues with Sprint -- you might be able to wrangle something out of Sprint Customer Retention. I have 50 free roaming minutes attached to my plan. If Verizon has coverage in those rural areas -- it might be something to consider. You can also buy roaming minutes up front cheaper than as they cost when occurring -- you might consider going as high as half of your monthly data savings. Just a couple of alternatives.

Cheers, Perry.

Boy Scout Helpful Mode: OFF
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/21/2006 at 06:38 AM.
    Since the Verizon fanboys haven't crashed the party yet, I might add that Verizon's glorious best network is really Alltel, Sprint, US Cellular, blah blah blah,..... bundled into one. Yes their wide coverage is thanks to roaming partners. They advertise this garbage endlessly and it works in the mind of customers. For Verizon handsets it is seamless since for the most part the handset isn't very obvious about differentiating a roaming network and a native Verizon network. Sprint handsets work almost the same way on automatic mode except the handset does differentiate when the phone is on roaming mode.

Coverage, data included, shouldn't be an issue because Sprint and Verizon have about the same coverage, roaming partners included. Data will not be an issue soon either since data roaming agreements will be in place this summer, EVDO with Verizon not included. If that were the case only Verizon would benefit, not Sprint since Sprint has a bigger EVDO footprint and it is expanding quite a bit.
    yea ha...Verizon people can't crash the party. They have no grounds for defense yet.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Thanks so much for all of your replies - they are helpful.

I spend most of my time in the Seattle/Portland areas and throughout both states. I also have been known to venture into Idaho and Nevada as they are also part of my territory.

Does anyone here have any Sprint experience in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Nevada? Success stories? Horror stories? I'm obviously leaning towards Sprint but I would like to uncover as much as possible before making my employer shell out huge dough for data/voice/roaming services. (I worked a deal where they're buying the fuggin' handset too!! )

Thanks again!

SMEGGIE
    One word: SPRINT
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast