Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    One thing to keep in mind:

Verizon's plans are more expensive than Sprint's however Sprint makes far more money per customer than Verizon does ($60 vs $48). So how is that possible ?
    A much higher % of Sprint users have data plans and buy extra services.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    One thing to keep in mind:

Aside from coverage, next most important thing is what you paying. Verizon's plans are more expensive than Sprint's however Sprint makes far more money per customer than Verizon does ($60 vs $48). So how is that possible ? A great many more Sprint users exceed their plan usage and / or buy extra services than Verizon users do.

It's possible because Sprint offers everything you want at reasonable prices. I always wanted the extra's on Verizon, i just couldn't afford them! I'd be happy to pay a little extra for the "extra's" as long as im not getting ripped off.

Tell Verizon to stop digging in my pockets!
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoylejps
    To me, a cellular company is a cellular company, so I'm not fanatical about either Verizon, or Sprint. Most of my family is with Verizon and has had a very positive experience with them. Have known some people with Sprint and they have had good experiences. That said, the one, major, limitation with Sprint is their coverage is very, very limited in many parts of the country. Here in the midwest Sprint's coverage is just terrible, pretty much non-existent outside the St. Louis MSA around here.
    Gargoyle
    I've been with Verizon since 1986 (was not called Verizon then, Cybertel, then Ameritech). Had SWB for two years before them. I have never seen as bad of service as I've seen in the last two years from them. Do it their way or else. They do not give in, and should you change anything at all they add a year to your contract and never tell you. Even if you could legally get out of the contract, they've tied up your number so you can't use it on another carrier.

As for digital service, I don't know about you gargoylejps, but I like to take drives to wineries and out of the way antique shops and I get the "no service" message all the time. Yesterday we went to Waterloo, Illinois just across the river and didn't have service. Heck, Springfield, MO you can't even get your email or internet. It's gotten rediculous. Next May when my contract is up I'm getting the 700p or 750p from Cingular and never looking back.
    Based on Sprints support i.e., "2-4 hour system upgrade" that has taken 48 hours plus and still counting and the ridiculousness of opening a picturemail I don't know anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG
    I've been with Verizon since 1986 (was not called Verizon then, Cybertel, then Ameritech). Had SWB for two years before them. I have never seen as bad of service as I've seen in the last two years from them. Do it their way or else. They do not give in, and should you change anything at all they add a year to your contract and never tell you. Even if you could legally get out of the contract, they've tied up your number so you can't use it on another carrier.
    Another Verizon horror story, any i'm not in the least bit surprised
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    sprint sucks in my area - Norwalk, CT - (southern CT)

just bought Verizon 700p
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2

just bought Verizon 700p
    I'm sorry

Good luck though
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    A much higher % of Sprint users have data plans and buy extra services.
    Data plans are a money loser at $10-15 a pop....it's the extra services and plan overages methinks that bring in the numbers. Now that Sprint has matched the others "free calls after 7 pm" thing that may drop tho....at 7 pm many people are still commuting or making evening plans.....that's when all those "bring home milk and bread" calls occur.
    Data plans are a money loser at $10-15 a pop....it's the extra services and plan overages methinks that bring in the numbers.
    I think we can all agree that Verizon isn't losing any money on their data plans. 3-4 data plans on Sprint =1 LOW Data Plan on Verizon
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    Many fans of Verizon "it's the network" will love to tell you how great Verizon is. I'm not saying that thier network isn't good, because i think they do have one of the, if not the best service area of any company(only roam when i'm up in the hills of Penn.), but i believe they are a complete rip off. If your company is paying for it, i would go with verizon. If you are, screw Verizon. I don't know how good Sprint is with sending out bills but in the 2 years i have been with Verizon, half of my bills have been atleast $20-30 and in some cases $50-60 wrong. I can go on for another hour about Verizon and the complete B.S they have put me through but I personally think they aren't worth the extra money/hassle. If you live in a city, definately go with Sprint. I do live in the Northeast (NY) though so make sure you hear from people in your area about the service. After all, a phone is no good if its always searching for a signal!

I live in southern CT, specifically Norwalk, CT - I do travel to NY occasionally but would need good service around the New Haven/Norwalk area (southern CT) - do you know if sprint is good here? Thanks!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I live in the Dallas/FortWorth area and I have had both. I was with Sprint for years with Samsung and Treo phones until I moved into a neighborhood a few years back with lousy Sprint tower coverage. My Sprint experience was very good, but since I have been with Verizon it has been even better. The pricing I do not watch too closely, so I can not comment on that.

Another perspective comes from the Sept 2005 Consumer Reports survey of 55,515 responding subscribers who showed that they rated Verizon over everyone else in all major markets (except for Chicago where US Cellular was #1 and Verizion was #2) for incidents of No Service, Circuits Full, Dropped Calls and Static. Per this survey Sprint is often #3rd or #4th.

However, my experience is that individual situations vary and you simply have to experiment to be sure. That is why I have a Verizoned Treo600 Sprint phone...things change, but I look forward to upgrading to a Verizon 700p so I can stop having to support myself entirely.
    I live on Long Island and although I've never had Sprint, IMO Verizon's service is the best. Does it cost more? Yep. Is customer service a pain? Yep. Is it worth it? again IMO it is.

I have found Customer Service to be a pain regardless of what company I've spoken to, but as long as I'm nice, more than likely I get what I want.
    I really haven't heard much about Sprint's deals before checking this forum out but they sound awesome. Although I'm a Verizon fan, I can't help but be a little jealous after reading about all the deals you Sprint customers are getting.

IMO the 3 things really holding Verizon back is 1)$45 for data plan is terrible (not to fan any fire on the 700 v Q debate but that's going to prevent lots of kids from purchasing the Q) 2) Not letting existing customers upgrade their phones. That is such a pain. I'm probably going to stick with the 700p but I have had the LG 8100 and the RAZR in the past year and although I've gotten what I wanted (w/o paying full retail) its way to much of a hassel. Coming from a finance/economics background I can't understand why they wouldn't jump on the chance to sell a phone and lock someone in for an additional 2 years.. Doesn't make sense to me. 3)Crippeling their phones. That's got to stop. I do believe they have the best network (its never failed me in all my travels) but I know people who won't deal w/ Verizon just because they cripple all their phones.

A cell phone is no good if I can't make a call, I have had minimal problems with Verizon's service no matter where I have been and to me that is the most important thing and I am willing to pay extra for that (especially after dealing w/ Nextel!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    how about no matter what happens to my phone, wind rain, stolen broken, or just smells funny, verizon sends me a replacement in 24 hours, on their dime. value to you? I've read the sprint disaster stories re: replacements.

how does this work? Vz has replacement plan? Thanks!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    how does this work? Vz has replacement plan? Thanks!
    Unless he is talking about something else, i believe it is the same as insurance. Although I highly doubt that they will send you a new phone b/c is smells funny, I believe their insurance works as does all other services. Sprint's is $8, Verizon's is $5. Nothing special
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    Unless he is talking about something else, i believe it is the same as insurance. Although I highly doubt that they will send you a new phone b/c is smells funny, I believe their insurance works as does all other services. Sprint's is $8, Verizon's is $5. Nothing special
    Both my Treos, a 650 and a 700p, are on a Sprint "Fair and Flexible" plan, sharing minutes. They royally screwed up my billing when I added the 700p. It took a phone call to one of their execs. in Kansas City where their HQ is, and she straightened the whole mess out for me, gave me some decent credits, and made it right. She blamed it on the merger with Nextel and bringing in a lot of Nextel CS people who didn't know the Sprint "way." When I activated the 700p the day I got it, it took the CS rep an HOUR to do it while she put me on hold at least a dozen times "to look things up." How do I know she was actually looking things up? I didn't. No way to know. She could have walked outside for a smoke or just put me on hold for the Hell of it, for all I know.

The exec. I spoke with apologized all over the place and said activating a new phone and adding it to an existing plan should not take more than 10-15 minutes. Even though they forced me into a two year contract by adding the second phone to an existing plan, she waived the "bail out" fee on the contract, gave me a $150.00 credit, knocked down a bunch of the add-on prices, and was as nice as could be. She said she's been with Sprint for eons and I have her number in both my Treos and I can get directly to her if I need her to intervene again. No, I won't give out her name or number.

It all comes down to training and people skills, and some of the *2 CS people simply have not had enough of the former, and completely lack the latter, but in almost every case, everyone has a boss, and that boss' job is to keep customers happy.

What irks me the most about these mega-companies is that service and quoted pricing should be consistant from one CS rep to another. They should all be reading out of the same book. They don't, and that's when the problems happen.

Hey, if someone hates their job, then then they should find another one, not take it out on their customers who are, after all, paying their salary.

Or as we used to say, "If you wanted to be a brain surgeon, you should've stayed in medical school."

I really think it comes down to individuals, not to the company as a whole. Verizon, Sprint, Cingular, T-Mobile, or other mega-companies in other fields, banks, supermarkets, retailers, you name it. All of them have smart people and uncaring idiots working for them. If you are patient, polite, and firm, and you spend the time to work your way up the corporate ladder to the people who can really push the right buttons and fix things, well, you just have to be resourceful and persistant. Sometimes you have to set aside some time to get things fixed. In the end result, when it works, you get a sense of self-satisfaction that you finally found someone who cares and understands things from the customers' point of view, which is a quality that most front line "paper hat" CS reps completely lack.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..

just bought Verizon 700p
    Even though I am a die hard Sprinter...coverage comes first.
    at&t iPhone3G
    You know why Sprint's the best?

Because you can get SERO and roam on to Verizon's network for free. OK, data roaming may not work, but the total coverage you get for voice is HUGE.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123