1.    #1  
    Hi all: I'll tell my story and see if anybody can "help" me out. Alltel is my provider of choice in my area. I have a quick summary in the beginning. Before flaming me-I know, this is a really long read.

Summary-I have a treo 600 with treo600-1.12-row software installed and don't know how to get it programed for alltel. That's the quick version.

Long version
    I wanted a smartphone, but not spending the big bucks that alltel wanted to get one with another 2 year contract. So, I hit ebay. A seller, who will remain nameless (Tess's Toys-I see they don't have any more for sale) had alltel treo 600's for sale, but alltel didn't sell 600's. and they were priced fairly decent and seemed legit. I boobled around and decided to buy one. Got it, took it to my alltel dealer, and they set it up without incident.

Life was good.

Then, it just started not being able to connect when using the phone partion. Reactivated my motorola v262, and tess's toys had me send the phone to their warranty/repair people. Got the phone back pretty quickly, but couldn't get the phone setup at the alltel dealer. they seemed to not be able to get my number in it. Asked the repair shop what was up, and they said it should work. no real help.

started poking around, downloaded the verizon rom software from palm, because i am almost 100% sure this was a verizon phone before it was modified for "other carriers." about 15 minutes after i did this, i read that was probably a bad idea.

Poked around more, found some "unlocking" software to try and unverizon my phone. had no clue what i was doing. finally figured out everything was for gsm phones. GREAT! too bad i've got a cdma phone.

poked around more (you can waste a lot of after work time over many nights looking for this kind of stuff on the web/discussion groups, and still be clueless) and downloaded the 1.12 row software. never figured out how to get it installed. tried and tried and tried. always got an install error-which i sort of figued i would get with the verizon stuff installed. FINALLY learned about the reset and used the DC app from the gsm rom and got the 1.12row installed.

now, the questions are, what have i done? did i get anywhere? is it still locked as a verizon? was it ever locked and I'm clueless? the #*#000000 gets me nowhere, but many of the other #*# commands open up menus of things that are way beyond me.

while on the phone with the alltel people and i give them the hex, they say they can see I have it on, but i can't put my number in it (using #*#000000-tha's six zeros, not a code). when i dial *611, it goes to alltel. don't know if that means anything. #228 gets the american roaing network.

am i screwed , or can it be used for anything other than a pda and an emergency 911 phone?

thanks to any comments. chris in toto land
    "Locking" prevents you from installing a SIM card provided by other than the carrier that sold ya the phone. Unlocking, a servcie provided free by Cingular if your account is in good standing for 3 months, removes the SIM Lock.

Since CDMA phones don't have SIM cards....you can't "unlock" a CDMA phone.
    actually you can "unlock" a cdma phone.It requires a few things but it is do-able. Essentially you just need to download the prl from the network you want to run on and load it on the phone you want to use. Flashing the phone is what its called instead of unlocking.

Problem isnt doing it but finding a carrier that will accept your phone once you have done it. For example, Verizon and Sprint and Qwest all maintain a database of esn's for their branded phones. If your phones esn isnt in the db then you cant activate it on that network. There are exceptions but that usually the case.

Now carriers that dont maintain a database but use the same technology will accept flashed phones. Cricket for example. CDMA carrier, no data, but they will accept pretty much any cdma handset that is flashed to work on their system.
    Hello Woof
    How would I go about getting the prl file to flash my cdma phone so I can use it up here in Canada? I have a Verizon CDMA phone and I can get in by using #*#000000 and it will let me change the phone number (MDN), the (MIN) number and also the Home NID (MTS gave me the number to put in). But when I took it to the MTS connect store ( Which is a CDMA carrier) here in Manitoba and they tried to connect it to their network it would just continue to get the error code (10C1 your phone is not activated on the Telus network) when I dialed and asking to call Telus Mobility here in Canada as they are the roaming partner for Verizon to activate it. Also if I do find the PRL file how do I flash the phone?
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Melmak
    I bought a CDMA treo 600 off ebay, it was a very good price, but my carrier is GSM, i have yet to get the phone yet, but i have no idea if the unlocked CDMA version (sprint) can even be used on the GSM service i have. Can anybody please fill me in on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack08 View Post
    I bought a CDMA treo 600 off ebay, it was a very good price, but my carrier is GSM, i have yet to get the phone yet, but i have no idea if the unlocked CDMA version (sprint) can even be used on the GSM service i have. Can anybody please fill me in on this?
    CDMA and GSM are two different networks technologically. Handsets cannot be exchanged between the two as a result. Your only option to utilize that 600 is to go to the carrier that supports that 600 via Sprint or Verizon...it will never work on any GSM network.
    at&t iPhone3G
    well i understand that part, but it is UNLOCKED and some people have told me it can be used both with GSM and CDMA. i just dont know if it has a sim card slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack08 View Post
    well i understand that part, but it is UNLOCKED and some people have told me it can be used both with GSM and CDMA. i just dont know if it has a sim card slot.
    There isn't a treo in existence that operates on both CDMA and GSM. It will work on a CDMA network, and only a CDMA network.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix