1.    #1  
    I just got a new 650 the other day. Currently, i have a 30-day trial going for Data - nets you a rebate i gather (added phone to my mom's Family Share).

So from reading here i think i understand it all after 30-days and I ditch the data (can't afford it) that....

*I can use SMS for Text Messages and there will be no extra charges.

If i use MMS to send a picture, I MAY incur a Data charge, 99% of people do, a couple don't. I should have unlimited text/picture. I need the text, i'll miss the pictures.

*if i do do a picture, it is about 75 cents to send it. AKA, dad would really have to want to see the kids doing that cute thing. His phone stinks - so why bother! LOL!!

Back when DH had his Kyocera, VZW Data rocked - it was just minutes. Man, those were the days!

*I don't need the Data for anything besides: Pictures, email and browsing.

My poor mommy brain is on overload - hence, i need the portable brain

OHHH, how about receiving pictures with no Data Plan? How does that work???

Thanks for clarifying all of this. Maybe someday VZW will be competitive again in Data.... i'd pay $20 a month for unlimited....
  2.    #2  
    My Mom just got home - she says that they told her the Unlimited Text/Picture means just that... LOL, we shall see!
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TraecyS/FL
    *I can use SMS for Text Messages and there will be no extra charges.
    Texting and data are different. Unless you have a text plan you will get charged for text messages. I know, it's stupid...

If i use MMS to send a picture, I MAY incur a Data charge, 99% of people do, a couple don't. I should have unlimited text/picture. I need the text, i'll miss the pictures.
    You most likely will, it's $.015 per Kb so you're looking at maybe 3 or 4 cents tacked on if you are on a pay as you go...

*I don't need the Data for anything besides: Pictures, email and browsing.
    Besides Wireless Sync there's nothing else that comes built into the phone that will use the National Access...

OHHH, how about receiving pictures with no Data Plan? How does that work???
    I don't know if you can completely block data but when I switch from National Access to using bluetooth to connect to the internet through my home PC I will not receive MMS messages...

Thanks for clarifying all of this. Maybe someday VZW will be competitive again in Data.... i'd pay $20 a month for unlimited....
    They do have a 20MB plan for $24.99 but you have to ask for it. That's enough for casual use like browsing scores and stocks and checking email.

My Mom just got home - she says that they told her the Unlimited Text/Picture means just that... LOL, we shall see!
    While that is true the person who told you that does not realize/know that the Treo uses National Access to send and receive MMS...
  4.    #4  
    Thanks..... i think i "get" it all right now.

Now i have to go find out if there is a way to monitor Data usage - so i can see exactly what the picture will cost to send/recieve. I don't do a lot at all, but do use it.

The $24.99 limited would irritate me more than anything. I get too much email to use it for that anyway, and i'd want to check my own Board, and i'd blow thru the 20mb (i thought it was 10) in nothing flat. SO, i'll do without..... it isn't why i got the phone

Thanks for taking the time to help me out!
    Look for a program called TrafficStat
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams
    They do have a 20MB plan for $24.99 but you have to ask for it. That's enough for casual use like browsing scores and stocks and checking email.
    I'm paying $24.99 for 10 megs. How do you get 20 for the same price? What kind of offer is that?

b.b.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BorderBobNY
    I'm paying $24.99 for 10 megs. How do you get 20 for the same price? What kind of offer is that?

b.b.
    Call customer service and request it. Don't know why they have a 20MB for the same price as the 10MB but they do.