Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Pardon my ignorance, but I will be moving at the end of May from the Treo 600 GSM to the sprint 700p. With EVDO is there the need to "log in" to the data network as I currently have with the Treo 600? It takes anywhere from 10 secs. to ... forever if there is a log in problem. Will there still be the login with EVDO or is it near instant?

Thanks.
    There is an initial log in to EVDO - it is automated and pretty much in the background. Up to 10 seconds is a fair assessment. Once logged in, you connection goes dormant - takes 1 or 2 seconds to reestablish contact when a connection is requested.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    There is an initial log in to EVDO - it is automated and pretty much in the background. Up to 10 seconds is a fair assessment. Once logged in, you connection goes dormant - takes 1 or 2 seconds to reestablish contact when a connection is requested.
    Great, thanks
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    I too am coming from the GSM world. Once the connection goes dormant, do voice calls come through? If so, is this true in both EVDO and 1xRTT areas? How long does it take for the connection to go dormant?
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeter
    Once the connection goes dormant, do voice calls come through? If so, is this true in both EVDO and 1xRTT areas?
    Definitely true in EVDO areas. Not sure about dormant in 1X areas. I can understand why you'd want to know this since 1X active data sessions cause incoming phone calls to dump straight to voicemail.
    How long does it take for the connection to go dormant?
    I haven't really watched it that closely - seems like maybe a minute or two.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    You can receive calls with an active or inactive EVDO connection. After the call the active EVDO session will continue where it left off. The 1x active connection (green arrows means data is transfering) will block the call and send it straight to VM. The 1x inactive data (gray bars no data transfering) will allow calls to come through but you will have to open blazer back up and restart what you were doing.

The 700P will revert to the 1x when EVDO is not available.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    You can receive calls with an active or inactive EVDO connection. After the call the active EVDO session will continue where it left off. The 1x active connection (green arrows means data is transfering) will block the call and send it straight to VM. The 1x inactive data (gray bars no data transfering) will allow calls to come through but you will have to open blazer back up and restart what you were doing.

The 700P will revert to the 1x when EVDO is not available.

Mike,

Thanks for the response. That clears it up for me. I'll be using BlackBerry Connect or Versamail Exchange sync and don't want to miss a bunch of calls. Thanks again.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    You can receive calls with an active or inactive EVDO connection. After the call the active EVDO session will continue where it left off.
    Mike G.,

This is the answer I like to hear, but I've also heard (even from a Palm employee who works on the Treo) that active EVDO will block calls.

Could you explain more about how you know? Some document? You've tried it? Etc.?

Thanks!
    Jim