1.    #1  
    Hey guys,
    I'm going to Europe (Italy) in a month, and I have Sprint PCS.... I know my treo won't work there... so I'm wondering about renting one of Sprint's little GSM phones, but I'm wondering if anyone's had any experience with those, becasue having atleast SMS is a necessity. I am pretty sure GPRS/EDGE doesn't work there with a Sprint SIM... (are the phones locked???), so yeah.

Maybe it would be better to find a pay-as-you-go GSM SIM and get a cheap unlocked phone? I just do'nt know where'd I'd do that.

Any suggestions? Please?

Thanks,
    Currently using: Sprint Treo 650!!
    Palm Pilot - Palm V- Handspring Visor - Samsung i500 - Treo 600
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I go to www.outfittersatellite.com whenever I need to rent satellite or unlocked GSM phones. Hope that works for you.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Naivete,

but does anyone know who might have the best sort of Pay-as-you go service for traveling through Europe (maybe while having a US number if possible?)
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    I go to www.outfittersatellite.com whenever I need to rent satellite or unlocked GSM phones. Hope that works for you.
    I do not see GSM phone rentals there. They only cary satellite
    there are a couple of options if you Google "mobile phone rental". However, having SMS which would obviously require your phone number - that might be difficult. Call Sprint as see what they can offer.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    sprint charges a **** load for their rentals (rental/minutes/activation fee/sim card). You'll end up paying more than $100 for a week. I have bought a cheap unlocked gsm phone on ebay (make sure it works on bands 900/1800 for Italy) and bought a TIM Italy sim card through cellularabroad.com. Looks to be the cheapest option.
  7.    #7  
    Yeah thanks guys for those options.

I called sprint... they can't do too much.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tahkuct
    I do not see GSM phone rentals there. They only cary satellite
    Sorry, they do carry them, just not online. I would give them a call.
    Last edited by naivete; 05/23/2006 at 04:12 PM.