1.    #1  
    First of all no I'm not going to ask the normal idiotic questions about trying to use a GSM phone on a CDMA network.

I would like to know the following from people that have made the move or that use Sprint:

1) CDMA data speed on Sprint is rated as faster than EDGE. 100kbps vs 144kbps. What is the fastest data rate that you can get on your Sprint Treo 650 at dslreports.com/mspeed with full (very good) coverage?

2) If you use Chatteremail and a Sprint Treo 650 with Efficient Sync how many calls on average do you miss out of how many total for a normal 8 hour day?

Also do you receive alerts about new voicemail even with Chatteremail engaged and if so have outgoing calls ever been blocked by data usage?

3) When dealing with billing how much of a headache do you have to go through to speak to someone that can solve a billing problem? i.e. How many CSRs do you need to go through on average to get someone that can fix a billing mistake?

Additionally how many times have you needed to call once your plan options are all set?

4) Does Sprint provide an option to pay via credit card and view/change your plan via their website?

5) With GSM Treo 650s it is possible to unlock and then modify the rom with network select (only GSM I know) and more importantly the FAT32 patch. Does this sort of modification work with a CDMA Treo 650 or is customizing roms only for GSM users?

6) If you use the SERO plan: Do you feel you get a good value from your plan when comparing to Cingular and can you point me to any gotchas that may come up when using this sort of plan?

Thank you and feel free to include any additional information that may be of any use.
    Last edited by LP-Trel; 04/21/2006 at 09:57 PM.
    Zach Roberts
    Director - Lifeless People Networks Ltd.
    http://www.lifelesspeople.com/ - Pay by Post™ Webhosting
    Quote Originally Posted by LP-Trel
    First of all no I'm not going to ask the normal idiotic questions about trying to use a GSM phone on a CDMA network.

I would like to know the following from people that have made the move or that use Sprint:

1) CDMA data speed on Sprint is rated as faster than EDGE. 100kbps vs 144kbps. What is the fastest data rate that you can get on your Sprint Treo 650 at dslreports.com/mspeed with full (very good) coverage?

2) If you use Chatteremail and a Sprint Treo 650 with Efficient Sync how many calls on average do you miss out of how many total for a normal 8 hour day?

Also do you receive alerts about new voicemail even with Chatteremail engaged and if so have outgoing calls ever been blocked by data usage?

3) When dealing with billing how much of a headache do you have to go through to speak to someone that can solve a billing problem? i.e. How many CSRs do you need to go through on average to get someone that can fix a billing mistake?

Additionally how many times have you needed to call once your plan options are all set?

4) Does Sprint provide an option to pay via credit card and view/change your plan via their website?

5) With GSM Treo 650s it is possible to unlock and then modify the rom with network select (only GSM I know) and more importantly the FAT32 patch. Does this sort of modification work with a CDMA Treo 650 or is customizing roms only for GSM users?

6) If you use the SERO plan: Do you feel you get a good value from your plan when comparing to Cingular and can you point me to any gotchas that may come up when using this sort of plan?

Thank you and feel free to include any additional information that may be of any use.

1. I usually get 80 at the most

2. I use effeciant sync and miss calls rarely (I know others miss more). It hardly ever happens to me. Never had an outgoing call blocked. VM notifications always come through.

3. I have had an occasional biling headache. Not often, but ther have beeen a few. Always resolved with a supervisor.

4.yes. yes.

5. you can customize cdma roms. The first custom roms evolved through a sprint test rom leak here at treocentral.

6. don't have a sero plan.

hope that helps.
    I do have SERO. Can't compare it to anything Cingular, since I've never had Cingular service. But there aren't any gotchas with SERO. If you're single, with one line, it's probably the best deal -if you can get it.

It's a Fair & Flexible account with extras thrown in. $30/mo gets me 500 anytime minutes AND Vision (plus the usual VM, 3way, forwarding/waiting, etc...)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I do have SERO. Can't compare it to anything Cingular, since I've never had Cingular service. But there aren't any gotchas with SERO. If you're single, with one line, it's probably the best deal -if you can get it.

It's a Fair & Flexible account with extras thrown in. $30/mo gets me 500 anytime minutes AND Vision (plus the usual VM, 3way, forwarding/waiting, etc...)
    $30/month for 3 way?!?!?

beat that cingular....talk about raising the bar!
    Behave, poochie!

LP-Trel, it's been posted before, but here's what I get with SERO

Sprint Fair & Flexible Plan

* Adjustable Anytime Minutes
    * $30.00 Minimum Monthly Charge
    * AMERICA - ROAMING Included
    * Nationwide Long Distance Included
    * Unlimited Night & Weekend Mins. Included
    * Nights: M-Th 9PM-7AM Wknd: F 9PM-M 7AM
    * Unlimited Vision Access
    * Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
    * Caller ID, Call Waiting
    * Three-way Calling
    * Voicemail

I've also got nights starting at 7pm for free now.

Sprint been berry berry good to me!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    After reading the replies Cingular is going down in flames. I am just thinking of the ways to get out of my Cingular contract without paying the $175. Sneaky suggestions would be appreciated.

Just some extra questions:

1) How is the call quality with lower signal with Sprint vs. Cingular/T-Mobile? As I understand it CDMA is quite a bit clearer.

2) While its not a concern now EVDO will be in my city eventually (it just got turned up in a city to the west of me about 100 miles and they are moving east) does the "Unlimited Vision Access" include power vision?

3) Is it possible to buy a Sprint Treo 650 and activate it with a SERO plan or would I need to buy a new 650?
    Zach Roberts
    Director - Lifeless People Networks Ltd.
    http://www.lifelesspeople.com/ - Pay by Post™ Webhosting
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Behave, poochie!

LP-Trel, it's been posted before, but here's what I get with SERO

Sprint Fair & Flexible Plan

* Adjustable Anytime Minutes
    * $30.00 Minimum Monthly Charge
    * AMERICA - ROAMING Included
    * Nationwide Long Distance Included
    * Unlimited Night & Weekend Mins. Included
    * Nights: M-Th 9PM-7AM Wknd: F 9PM-M 7AM
    * Unlimited Vision Access
    * Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
    * Caller ID, Call Waiting
    * Three-way Calling
    * Voicemail

I've also got nights starting at 7pm for free now.

Sprint been berry berry good to me!
    You are da man...and Sprint rules...the only problem with Sprint is most of their customer service personnel were the people who road the little yellow bus to school.
    at&t iPhone3G
    "rode"
    in terms of call quality, I would have to say sprint is MUCH better. I have tried cingular and it was not nearly as good. this has always been one of the cdma strong points and has always been advertised by sprint (especially since they only use the 1900mhz band). additionally, I seem to always be able to tell when someone talks to me with a gsm phone as call quality is noticeably worse.
    Sprint Kyocera 6035> Verizonized Sprint 6035> Treo 300> Sprint Treo 600> Sprint Treo 650> Cingular 8125> Sprint Treo 650> Sprint Treo 700wx

“It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it.” -George W. Bush

BE AMERICAN, USE CDMA
    Quote Originally Posted by IEFesq
    "rode"
    lmao
    Your plan question seem to have been answered but I gonna address the "rated speed" issue. Your source conflicts with data published here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1772935,00.asp

Hit the "Test Results" link at the top of the page and you will see at least a 50% speed advantage with EDGE (Class 10). However, in typical usage for short e-mails and simple web pages, EDGE's latency eats up its speed advantage so the user experience is roughly the same as CDMA. However on large file downloads, latency's effects are greatly diminished and there are very significant differences in download times giving a significant advatage to EDGE under such conditions.