Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey everyone! First time poster here at TC! I must tell you, this site is the most comprehensive website dedicated to the smartphones I have come across so far. Often imitated, never duplicated! Now on to the original post...

I have had cable broadband for over 2 years now, and I have enjoyed it with my wireless network in my home. Now, after seeing commercials of the new Sprint EVDO wireless broadband card I thought well, I will give it a shot since there is a sprint tower literally 75 yards away from my home.

I went to my local Sprint store and asked question after question concerning the EVDO network and what it offers. The reps were very helpful and informative. So I bought a Sprint PC-5740 wireless card and couldn't wait to get home and try it out on my laptop.

Installation was the easiest setup I have encountered. Less than 5 minutes. I was absolutely blown away of the speed this Sprint EVDO network. I have put the card through its paces with website, itunes, etc and I am extremely impressed, so much in fact, I have cancelled my cable broadband. I paid about 45 dollars per month for broadband service and I do not regret spending 15 more dollars a month to have broadband everywhere I go. Since my city is completely covered with EVDO I felt this was the best option for me.

I have conducted speed tests from dslreports.com and have consistently been getting 800-900 download at all times of the day!! I was barely getting 1.5 mb in the evening hours with cable! I just wanted to share my experience with this outstanding device and hope others feel the satisfaction that I have had. Great site and eager to meet each of you! Cheers!

Brinkley
    (David) Brinkley... Chet Huntley here (JK)...

At the risk of you sounding like a plant, plugging a commersial...So what did you not like about it...

And how did you jam your EVDO card in your Treo... It won't fit in the SD slot... (JK again) You do know that this is a Palm Treo forum?

Seriously, if the carriers are gonna charge for a card for your laptop, and you also have a treo... without tethering the lap to the Treo you'd have to pay twice. If you did tether- no need for the laptop card- right?

Welcome to the zoo that is TC.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  3.    #3  
    Geeze...tough crowd. I realize this is a smartphone forum and I do own a Treo 650. I posted this in the CDMA forum and not the smartphone forum for this exact purpose.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    I also have the EVDO card (merlin 620) and like you am very happy with it, I use mine with a IBM x41t tablet so if Duane is looking for a category this could be posted under maybe " other PDA's"

I also have a treo650 which makes for easy access of email etc , but not great great viewing of the internet or Co. programs i use.

Worth every penny use it constantly from the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brinkley
    Hey everyone! First time poster here at TC! I must tell you, this site is the most comprehensive website dedicated to the smartphones I have come across so far. Often imitated, never duplicated! Now on to the original post...

I have had cable broadband for over 2 years now, and I have enjoyed it with my wireless network in my home. Now, after seeing commercials of the new Sprint EVDO wireless broadband card I thought well, I will give it a shot since there is a sprint tower literally 75 yards away from my home.

I went to my local Sprint store and asked question after question concerning the EVDO network and what it offers. The reps were very helpful and informative. So I bought a Sprint PC-5740 wireless card and couldn't wait to get home and try it out on my laptop.

Installation was the easiest setup I have encountered. Less than 5 minutes. I was absolutely blown away of the speed this Sprint EVDO network. I have put the card through its paces with website, itunes, etc and I am extremely impressed, so much in fact, I have cancelled my cable broadband. I paid about 45 dollars per month for broadband service and I do not regret spending 15 more dollars a month to have broadband everywhere I go. Since my city is completely covered with EVDO I felt this was the best option for me.

I have conducted speed tests from dslreports.com and have consistently been getting 800-900 download at all times of the day!! I was barely getting 1.5 mb in the evening hours with cable! I just wanted to share my experience with this outstanding device and hope others feel the satisfaction that I have had. Great site and eager to meet each of you! Cheers!

Brinkley
    Dont worry about the crowd here. Tell us how much you paid for card, per month and do you have Sprint account already. I heard if you have sprint account you get EVDO card access for your laptop for 39.99.
    I am interested as well. Cause I hate to loose any calls while I use my Treo for data.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    (David) Brinkley... Chet Huntley here (JK)...

At the risk of you sounding like a plant, plugging a commersial...So what did you not like about it...

And how did you jam your EVDO card in your Treo... It won't fit in the SD slot... (JK again) You do know that this is a Palm Treo forum?

Seriously, if the carriers are gonna charge for a card for your laptop, and you also have a treo... without tethering the lap to the Treo you'd have to pay twice. If you did tether- no need for the laptop card- right?

Welcome to the zoo that is TC.
    right...but while you use data on Treo you would loose important call which might be not important for you but for rest of us it might.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    Dont worry about the crowd here. Tell us how much you paid for card, per month and do you have Sprint account already. I heard if you have sprint account you get EVDO card access for your laptop for 39.99.
    I am interested as well. Cause I hate to loose any calls while I use my Treo for data.
    Ditto...I want to know too. My notebook's internet access is currently driven wirelessly by cable. I am a current Sprint customer and have thought about trying the wireless card but haven't seen any benchmark on how well it works and was thinking of waiting until the market grows with it to see if the price for the service lowers.
    at&t iPhone3G
  8.    #8  
    I bought the card for 79.99 after signing a 2 year agreement. I liked the fact that I can try this out for 14 days to evaluate it's performance without violating the contract. So far I am not disappointed. But after reading these great forums, I found that sprint customers who qualify can receive the card for free up until May 1st. I called Sprint and they told me to take the card back to the sprint store get a refund then call them back and they will send me one for free. Not a bad deal!!!

So far, I haven't seen anything negative with the EVDO cards. Of course everyone will create their own benchmark that could make or break others opinions, but for my use it is outstanding.

If anyone has specific questions about it let me know. I am not the tech review guy who does this everyday, but I will offer insights that I have experienced. Cheers!

Brinkley.
    right...but while you use data on Treo you would loose important call which might be not important for you but for rest of us it might.
    Perhaps if you live in the sticks, but not if you have EDVO coverage.
    I bought the card for 79.99 after signing a 2 year agreement. I liked the fact that I can try this out for 14 days to evaluate it's performance without violating the contract. So far I am not disappointed. But after reading these great forums, I found that sprint customers who qualify can receive the card for free up until May 1st. I called Sprint and they told me to take the card back to the sprint store get a refund then call them back and they will send me one for free. Not a bad deal!!!

Brinkley.
    Does Sprint require a two year commitment for the card to be "free." I'd like one and might pay the $40 monthly rate some have mentioned but I don't want to be tied to Sprint; although I've been with them for ten years!
    Quote Originally Posted by gillum
    Does Sprint require a two year commitment for the card to be "free." I'd like one and might pay the $40 monthly rate some have mentioned but I don't want to be tied to Sprint; although I've been with them for ten years!
    I am pretty sure they require the two year agreement
    at&t iPhone3G
  12.    #12  
    Yea, it does require a 2 year agreement and choosing the unlimited data access package for 59.99. The unlimited data service w/o voice service is 79.99.
    Yea, it does require a 2 year agreement and choosing the unlimited data access package for 59.99. The unlimited data service w/o voice service is 79.99.
    My statement was a hyperlink to the answer to your question in my prior post.
    at&t iPhone3G
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    My statement was a hyperlink to the answer to your question in my prior post.

HAHA...Whoops! Sorry! What KStewart said.......lol
    Its all good buddy...I am no way as hostile as some of the croud on this forum.
    at&t iPhone3G
  16.    #16  
    Nice avatar ya got there.
    If you got EV-DO the call will go through, it will put your internet on hold though. If you can only get 1xRTT in your area, then you would have that problem.
    I'd LOVE to do this. Unfortunately, my laptop (Dell X1) only has a compact flash slot instead of a full size PCMCIA slot and these type of cards are not available in CF formats.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you.
    Just joshin' with ya- Brinkly... Bu ya gotta admit, your Original Post did seem like a planted commercial at first... I'm sure others could have raked you over hotter coals... I wonder what the comparison is between EVDo on a lappy card and a treo 700.

I can see people unfortuanely having to pay out the wazoo for laptop and smartphone access, then if they have lousy cell coverage at home, another 45 bucks or so for cablemodem or DSL... there has to be a place where the wallet runs dry.

Do any of the carriers offer other deals if you have one type of hi-speed service, they'd reduce the cost of another? Packages like that would make it less painful in the money dept.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  20.    #20  
    I don't understand. I just posted my thoughts about this card and how happy I was with it. I really didn't think anything seemed wrong with it. Am I missing something here?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast